Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 tactical question

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    SeriousStudent, drill looks good. I'll have to figure out a way to work something similar using a IPSC silhouette for ease of scoring.

I've had some very good results with my informal testing of the 1301 Tactical. Recoil is manageable, reliability is where it should be, and steel silhouettes at 200yds with a good slug are no problem if the shooter does his job. I'd roll with this shotgun no problem. The only issue with it can be resolved with either Aridius's product or the TauDev shroud.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice setup!

What did you use to mount the tape switch to the forearm? I'm going to be doing the same thing but with a X300U-B, and the Surefire XTR-7. I was thinking and drilling holes for a small Magpul M-Lok rail, probably the seven-section one.

And have you had any issues with the Velcro peeling off from the heat of the receiver? I'd like to keep mine as light as possible, and am therefore leaning away from the Mesa Tactical unit. It's a great piece of gear, but obviously heavier than the Velcro.

Thanks again for the pics and info.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Nice setup!

What did you use to mount the tape switch to the forearm? I'm going to be doing the same thing but with a X300U-B, and the Surefire XTR-7. I was thinking and drilling holes for a small Magpul M-Lok rail, probably the seven-section one.

And have you had any issues with the Velcro peeling off from the heat of the receiver? I'd like to keep mine as light as possible, and am therefore leaning away from the Mesa Tactical unit. It's a great piece of gear, but obviously heavier than the Velcro.

Thanks again for the pics and info.
    I used some Velcro tape for the pressure switch, I think I got it from OPTactical a while back*. Just put it on the forearm and the pressure pad, no issues. I don't know who makes the side saddle but the Velcro on it is rock solid and there are zero issues with the heat from the receiver.
    I would try to avoid drilling anything in that forearm, the tolerances inside seem to be pretty close.

*http://www.optactical.com/vebrstbalota.html
    Last edited by Hammer27; 07-27-16 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I took a 1301 and PURPOSELY setup the "issue" that everyone complains about. With out ANY previous experience with fixing this problem, I had this gun back up and running in 15 seconds. Waaaaay faster than a pump gun.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here it is. One of the things i like about it is that I can do it on a 25-yard range, and only requires 13 rounds.

Full disclosure: I was taught this by Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke of HardWired Tactical Shooting. Darryl got it from Scotty Reitz and Larry Mudgett of LAPD SWAT.

LAPD D Platoon Shotgun Qualification
    Ammo: Requires two slug rounds, eleven 00 Buck rounds (9-pellet loads).

Scoring: Total possible points = 200. Divide the number of points by 2. Maximum possible score = 100 percent.

1st Phase: Two slugs at 25 yards. Start from low ready, fire 1 shot at center of mass in 2.5 seconds. Repeat. Hits in the 9 or 10 ring = 10 points. Any other hit on target equals 5 points. 20 points are possible for this phase.

2nd Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 15 yards. Fire 1 shot in 2 seconds. Repeat. This totals 18 pellets. Any hit in the 9 or 10 ring equals 2 points. Any other hit on target equals 1 point. Approximately 30 points on this stage. Fifteen yards is an estimate with Remington 870.

3rd Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 10 yards. Fire 1 shot in 2 seconds. Repeat. This totals 18 pellets. Approximately 33 points possible on this phase.

4th Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 7 yards. Fire 1 shot in 1.5 seconds. Repeat. This totals 18 pellets. 36 points possible on this phase.

5th Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 5 yards. Fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds. This totals 18 pellets. 36 points possible on this phase.

6th Phase: Three 00 Buck rounds at 3 yards. Failure Drill. Start from an under arm assault position. Fire one pair center of mass, assume the shoulder-sighted stance and fire one head shot, in three seconds. Body shots scored as above, 36 points possible. Head shot is scored one point for each pellet which strikes the head. 45 possible points on this phase.

Total points possible for the course is approximately 200 divided by 2 = score in percentile.

Passing score = 90 percent, with all projectiles on the target.

Be sure and notice that any pellet leaving the target counts as a miss, and therefore a DQ. Just like in the real world, you really want to know how your shotgun patterns. I use the Federal Flite-Control 00 and #4 buckshot rounds, and the Federal Tru-Ball Deep Penetrating slugs, or the Brenneke Home Defense slugs. All of those rounds seem pattern exceptionally well in all my shotguns, even the 12.5" 870 SBS.

I'm really itching to try those Brenneke's in the 1301. The Aimpoint should make the 25-yard slug phase a gimme.
    A couple of questions - what is the target used? What is the starting position for stages/phases 2 through 5? And, finally, who in the heck still uses the 'underarm assault position ?

Using the FC stuff, and really any modern LE/PD load, there probably isn't much of the ten ring left to score after the 10 and 7 yard phases, much less the 5 and the three.

I use slugs for the train-up on my 12ga less lethal courses and used the LL sock rounds for quals, and NLTA for drills - a lot cheaper than using the LL rounds. As a result of that, I really believe that other than firing buckshot during training for pattern awareness, quals are more effectively done with slugs - not much difference in recoil with the RR loadings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I took a 1301 and PURPOSELY setup the "issue" that everyone complains about. With out ANY previous experience with fixing this problem, I had this gun back up and running in 15 seconds. Waaaaay faster than a pump gun.
    C4
    For the pump gunners reading, if you aren't aware -

The Mossberg 500/590 will not double feed in the same manner because of the way the shell lift moves when cycling - only down when the action is open - it won't double feed unless a shell latch gets stuck or broken - never seen it happen.

With the 870, the design will not allow a shell completely out of the tube under a closed action. Any shell feeding from the magazine tube with the action closed will be stopped by the underside of the slide assembly and the carrier before it completely exits the mag tube. In most cases you'll never know this happened as the flex-tab will enable you to cycle the action through this double feed.

The worst case scenario - two out in the bottom of the receiver - should only occur with the action open on the 870. You push forward with the bolt, then push FIRMLY up on the shell carrier. Pull the action to the rear while doing so and you should be able to roll the back shell out - if that works it is well under 15 seconds. Sometimes that doesn't and you have to continue upward pressure on the shell carrier reach in and press the forward shell into the mag tube - now you are talking over 15 seconds, and a chance to use the flat side of that blade we always carry.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-27-16 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4
    Any tips? I love my 1301 Comp, such a smooth shooter. I admit it took me a lot longer than 15 seconds to clear it when that happened

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWT View Post
    Any tips? I love my 1301 Comp, such a smooth shooter. I admit it took me a lot longer than 15 seconds to clear it when that happened
    The lucky gunner video that brings light to the issue also shows how to clear it

https://youtu.be/rJjxy1iHx0Y
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    A couple of questions - what is the target used? What is the starting position for stages/phases 2 through 5? And, finally, who in the heck still uses the 'underarm assault position ?

Using the FC stuff, and really any modern LE/PD load, there probably isn't much of the ten ring left to score after the 10 and 7 yard phases, much less the 5 and the three.

I use slugs for the train-up on my 12ga less lethal courses and used the LL sock rounds for quals, and NLTA for drills - a lot cheaper than using the LL rounds. As a result of that, I really believe that other than firing buckshot during training for pattern awareness, quals are more effectively done with slugs - not much difference in recoil with the RR loadings.
    I use a B-27. If someone here from LAPD can correct me on that, please do so. I'll reach out to Wayne and Darryl to double-check. But that is what I have been using.

Starting position is the low ready. By that, I mean that the muzzle of the weapon does not cover any part of the target - you have it oriented below their feet. Not a big dip at 25 yards, but depressed pretty low at 5.

And I do not use the underarm assault position - I own a 12.5" 870 SBS.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a Beretaa 1301 on the way. I've also got an Aridus mag release button doodad on the way as well. I've got a pair of shotgun glasses scheduled this fall. I'll report back how it does, and do an AAR on both classes.

Grant, I need to order yet another Aimpoint from ya for this shotgun. I will tell you folks, dropping an Aimpoint Micro on a good shotgun almost makes it seem like cheating!

And I am pretty good with an 870, but have still short-stroked it under pressure. That's why I really want to try this 1301. Every system has design parameters and an operational envelope. The trick is to polish your skills to excel within them.

By the way, SpyderMan2k4 has very good customer service and great comms.
    Serious you remember the 1301T that I had FS (seems you coon fingered it) @ the Aprill presentation last month?

Well I decided to keep it, will be getting some fam. time w/ it in the next few moths before our HITs SG/P class in Nov.

Ordered the Aridus shroud Sat., hope to have it this week, curious if you added a Nordic extension to your 1301 yet?
    You also mentioned above another SG class you have planned beside our HITs in Nov., where & when is that other one?

Seems we'll be shooting sim. equipped SG's (AP's on the 1301 & the VCS 870) @ DB & 'lil Waynes, but your 870 is an SBS though. Thinking I may add some rattle can to my 1301, heck it may even lure Retro out of his cave to assist w/ that endeavour, one just never knows w/ my old training partner.
    Last edited by Agile53; 08-29-16 at 23:21.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast