Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Probably not a bad idea.
    Well, for me it was a stark realization ... I'm in decent shape, but have rust in one knee and hip. Walking 25 or whatever miles in one day would be a bit of a hail Mary.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    One thing I added when the light bulb went off for me, similar to needing to overnight it.

Think about how many miles you would need to cover to get home and if your only option was to walk it.

I threw one of those folding scooters in my trunk. 0 energy expended for downhills, and easier than walking flats or uphills.

Another option is a compact folding bike.

If your path home is greatly shortened by staying off roads and walking as the crow flies, then not an option.
    This. A folding bike. Where you cant ride it, you can walk with pack on rack over rear wheel. A lot of people would be going from their office to home on roads and even sidewalks in places. A small rolling suitcase with back straps might be a good get home bag. The larger the wheels the better. Also the folding 3 wheel baby buggies guys use for 3 gun.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    This. A folding bike. Where you cant ride it, you can walk with pack on rack over rear wheel. A lot of people would be going from their office to home on roads and even sidewalks in places. A small rolling suitcase with back straps might be a good get home bag. The larger the wheels the better. Also the folding 3 wheel baby buggies guys use for 3 gun.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about this, been doing some research. Seems they've come a long ways / different from what I thought they were.

Here's an example ... you can ride pretty much like a regular bike. Good point on having a rack over the wheel to take the load off.

tern-verge-x10-super-light-folding-bike-1.jpg
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    With a BOB wheels may not help much, but in a get home bag situation something with wheels could make it much easier.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Carrying luggage on a folding bike:

http://www.cyclingabout.com/carrying...on-tern-dahon/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Carrying luggage on a folding bike:

http://www.cyclingabout.com/carrying...on-tern-dahon/
    Yeah, that's a nice set up. You could carry enough to live off of like that. From look-seeing I did, most of these bikes will fit in a sedan trunk and leave room to spare.

I do think it's realistic to expect some massive highway / road closure. Would be nice to be able to pull your car off the road and bike your way home, with your needed 'just in case" gear.

Feedback Score
    Back to the original poster-if he gets stranded so far from home that he has to spend a night or two getting back, The bike could carry enough weight to make it manageable. Pull off the road each night up into the woods. Even in the woods walking with the bike with most of the load on the bike would be less exhausting than carrying a heavy load. If necessary, the last day the bike and most equipment could be ditched and just take a light day pack to make it rest of the way.
    Last edited by Pi3; 05-02-17 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Has anyone here tried out one of the "Paratrooper" models from Montague Bikes? It appears that they can "cut the mustard".

https://www.montaguebikes.com/produc...ountain-bikes/

Feedback Score
    Looks good. I would also like to hear from someone with experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF_yMF5bC98
    Last edited by Pi3; 05-02-17 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A casual observation regarding a BOB.
    I recently took a four day vacation and hiked part of the Grand Canyon, about forty miles total. Although we had Mules, I decided to give the whole BOB theory of mine a workout. I packed my BOB the whole way everyday of the four days over some rather challenging terrain, my observations were.
    Thirty pounds of gear is a bit more challenging than it was twenty years ago.
    Twenty five to Thirty pounds of gear was for me the weight of what a 72 hour kit would weigh.
    It's not so much the weight that will get you, it is getting in a hurry and making bad decisions. At one point I made a water crossing and didn't change out of my boots and in to my water shoes. Bad, bad, bad decision. In an emergency (and I certainly wasn't stressed about making this decision, I just F'ed up) a decision like that could cost you dearly.
    Your feet aren't likely used to making this kind of mileage. Not only did my bad decision above cost me some skin off of my Achilles tendon area, my toe nails took a beating and a couple ended up black and blue.
    In the sake of brevity, it's not going to make a difference what's in your BOB if you're not practicing with it. Rucking is something like running, unless you're doing it regularly, going out of the blocks without some practice isn't the way you want to do this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast