Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
So, been methodically getting my BOB together. Still loosly following the 72 hour rule. Supposedly stats say if you can survive 72 hours after the event, your chances of survival jump sharply. I'm not sure where those supposed stats come from or someone just decided that seemed a good number in terms of balance between how much stuff most can or will carry vs time after event that forced you to use your BOB.

Another basic goal/guide I have seen regarding a BOB is a max weight to shoot for of 25lbs. Mine is currently dead on 25lbs. I'm guessing that number assumes most people could ruck that weight for an extended period.

What does your BOB weigh? Or do you not care? I was just curious to see what mine weighed and checked it vs shooting for that specific weight and it was 25 lbs.
Somehow I managed to get mine to 26lbs, however it definitely has too much in it. So, it can be lighter, I just do not know what I am going to remove or procure lighter versions of. The pack itself is light and a good price point so I do not plan on replacing that. I avoid 'stoarge containers' that add weight, use a zip lock or some purpose built ultra light organization bags. I think I am going to take some things out that (in retrospect) aren't essential but might be nice and make a hand carry bag, this way if I need to ditch those items they are already packed up and I can chuck them off the road/trail and cover them up for later.