Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    A couple of sling bags have been mentioned here. They're nice for keeping your gun side more open for CC on the hip, but in general, they suck with any kind of weight in them. If your plan involves a sling bag, I would take it for a test run with the weight you plan to haul and make sure you can carry it for the duration you think you may need it.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 12-11-17 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    A couple of sling bags have been mentioned here. They're nice for keeping your gun side more open for CC on the hip, but in general, they suck with any kind of weight in them. If you're plan involves a sling bag, I would take it for a test run with the weight you plan to haul and make sure you can carry it for the duration you think you may need it.
    Good recommendation for whatever type of bag you choose, that goes back to my original comment as well as outlander's. How far might your trek be? Have you walked that far with the bag? Probably not a huge issue here, but many people probably don't realize that even a full camelbak will weigh on you if you're not used to carrying a load.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Good recommendation for whatever type of bag you choose, that goes back to my original comment as well as outlander's. How far might your trek be? Have you walked that far with the bag? Probably not a huge issue here, but many people probably don't realize that even a full camelbak will weigh on you if you're not used to carrying a load.
    Wake, that is the only reason I started thinking about a bag is not knowing where I'll be coming from. I can't CCW right now, i am temporarily staying just south of Baltimore. Originally thought I had a chance, but I found out CCW is pretty much impossible to get here. Planning to move to back VA as soon as possible, where I had a CCW since 1996 til I came up here. And I''m thinking after seeing some things go bad I want a bag in my Jeep and the work car, but the work car won't have a CCW option. I repair nuclear cameras and go everywhere from eastern WV to the Eastern Shore, from Delaware down to anywhere in VA that uses my company's cameras.

My plan was a change of clothes, a hat, and a light rain jacket in a duffle in the car, maybe in winter add gloves and stocking cap in the pockets of a heavier jacket and a pair of my old military boots. But I thought maybe a pack (I have a couple old type MULE's, a beat up Motherlode, a BFM and a Hazard 4 Sidewinder from when I was active duty, yes I was an unabashed gear whore) with a water bladder (I sweat a lot) and a couple powerbars, powerpak for the phone. And some cash, maybe a lighter. I don't cary much cash on me lately it seems.

I usually have the main other things I would think of on me: Sunglasses, pocket knife and the most important is good shoes. I stand most of the day and since my "uniform" is Dockers pants and a company polo I have found that a pair of Merrells makes a huge difference. And I can get a discount at promotive since i am retired military. And I started a couple weeks ago packing lunch and 52oz of water in double insulated Kleen Kanteens with ice water every day since I have slipped since I got a real job and now need to watch the diet and up the water intake to help get back in shape. If those aren't gone, they could go in the bag I guess. I use a Rush 72 as my work bag because the computer bag didn't last 6 months and fell apart. I had thought when work goes to tablets instead of laptops to maybe use the Sidewinder for work. Honestly, I don't know what else I'd want since I am not gonna bring up NPE type stuff.
    Last edited by buddy357; 07-03-16 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy357 View Post
    Wake, that is the only reason I started thinking about a bag is not knowing where I'll be coming from. I can't CCW right now, i am temporarily staying just south of Baltimore. Originally thought I had a chance, but I found out CCW is pretty much impossible to get here. Planning to move to back VA as soon as possible, where I had a CCW since 1996 til I came up here. And I''m thinking after seeing some things go bad I want a bag in my Jeep and the work car, but the work car won't have a CCW option. I repair nuclear cameras and go everywhere from eastern WV to the Eastern Shore, from Delaware down to anywhere in VA that uses my company's cameras.

My plan was a change of clothes, a hat, and a light rain jacket in a duffle in the car, maybe in winter add gloves and stocking cap in the pockets of a heavier jacket and a pair of my old military boots. But I thought maybe a pack (I have a couple old type MULE's, a beat up Motherlode, a BFM and a Hazard 4 Sidewinder from when I was active duty, yes I was an unabashed gear whore) with a water bladder (I sweat a lot) and a couple powerbars, powerpak for the phone. And some cash, maybe a lighter. I don't cary much cash on me lately it seems.

I usually have the main other things I would think of on me: Sunglasses, pocket knife and the most important is good shoes. I stand most of the day and since my "uniform" is Dockers pants and a company polo I have found that a pair of Merrells makes a huge difference. And I can get a discount at promotive since i am retired military. And I started a couple weeks ago packing lunch and 52oz of water in double insulated Kleen Kanteens with ice water every day since I have slipped since I got a real job and now need to watch the diet and up the water intake to help get back in shape. If those aren't gone, they could go in the bag I guess. Honestly, I don't know what else I'd want since I am not gonna bring up NPE type stuff.
    Yeah so that's a little more complicated for you. I moved from VA to HI so I definitely understand that part of it. I carry a Spartan Blades Enyo everywhere here since I can't carry a gun. Its fixed blade, meets the blade length to conceal, is easy to conceal, and is quick to deploy so its about the best possible option I've got. Not sure if you've looked into anything like that. I also carry a short machete in my jeep. Not a bad thing to have in HI, but if everything goes to shit Hollywood style, at least I've got something better than a 3" blade. An MP actually asked why I had a machete in my Jeep and I told him because I couldn't carry my Glock. He didn't respond but his partner kind of chuckled. Sad but true. Back on topic, your stuff sounds pretty good to me at least. Considering you'd change right away and (I assume) ditch the work clothes, you're really not carrying much but I'd still pick a pack that's easier to carry than a duffel. I keep a camo woobie in mine along with a multitool and IFAK. I'd be just as concerned about a good pair of socks as I would boots. Realistically the gloves and IFAK I think are the most important things along with a water source.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I tried the whole sling bag thing (Rush Moab 12) it was a great bag, for walking to work. If I had to run across a street, or climb a fence (I used it for the odd walk in the woods too) then it would slip around a lot.
    I then moved to a Rush 24. To me it's a perfect size, I use it as my go to work bag (however it goes with me out on detail if I have to drive to another barracks etc) and I get a full gortex suit, a buffalo shirt, hat, gloves, small booboo kit, water straw, knife, torch, some power bars etc plus my PT kit and lunch (and a 28oz Klean kanteen)
    It's still not full. My work clothes are designed to walk a long way in so if the world went to pot while I was away on detail I could get home. No Ccw for me, but the bag doesn't have a waist belt, and fully loaded it won't need it either.

I used it for a Fitness Test a few summers back, 8miles, 35lb in about 1hr50. It was comfortable enough and it held up just fine.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"- Confucius

I am a part time employee of Lantac UK- My comments/ opinions are my own and not a reflection of company policy.

Feedback Score
    I had planned to change and ditch work clothes. Didn't consider what to do with the duffle. Nor did I consider my smaller packs are too small to carry the jacket if I don't wear it right away. Sounds like an excuse to find a midsize pack (wait, thought I "used to be" a gear whore).

Knives I usually carry are a small folder, either a CRKT Heiho or a Benchmade Ares 735 and a leatherman micra (Father's Day gift that I use a lot). I have 3 of the CRKT minimalist knives "if" I can find where they are packed away. Heck, i have a Winkler Belt knife (retirement gift), but that may be too nice to use.

And while I have an adventure medical kit in both vehicles, they aren't small, I need to borrow your IFAK idea.
    Last edited by buddy357; 07-03-16 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    In your situation, you probably need to plan for an overnighter. In which case, You might want a more extensive list of things that go with you and at the very least cover the three main survival needs: water, shelter, and fire. If you do it right, you can get by with alot of gear that doesn't take up much space or weight.

I'll shotgun a few items that come to the top of my mind:
    -Water purification system (filter, drops, and/or other)
    -Small tarp with cordage and pegs
    -Some way to insulate while sleeping (jacket, lightweight sleeping bag, woobie, quilt, ect...)
    -A few ways to start a fire (ferro rod, matches, lighter, ect.)
    -Good fixed blade survival type knife (4-5" blade)
    -Multitool
    -Cordage (paracord or other)
    -Good boots and clothing that serve the purpose
    -Rain Gear
    -Small cook system (maybe? depending on distance...also doubles as secondary water purification method via boiling)
    -Small amount of food (dry or dehydrated)
    -Container(s) for clean water (I keep a Nalgene or Klean Kanteen with me every day)
    -Full IFAK
    -Maps or some type of navigation system
    -Light source (flashlight and/or headlamp)
    -TP!

*During winter, you'll probably need a heavier sleeping bag, most likely a sleep pad, and some better insulative clothing...which probably means you will need a bigger pack for the winter months.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 07-07-16 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna think more about what I need before I put it all together.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    In your situation, you probably need to plan for an overnighter. In which case, You might want a more extensive list of things that go with you and at the very least cover the three main survival needs: water, shelter, and fire. If you do it right, you can get by with alot of gear that doesn't take up much space or weight.

I'll shotgun a few items that come to the top of my mind:
    -Water purification system (filter, drops, and/or other)
    -Small tarp with cordage and pegs
    -Some way to insulate while sleeping (jacket, lightweight sleeping bag, woobie, quilt, ect...)
    -A few ways to start a fire (ferro rod, matches, lighter, ect.)
    -Good fixed blade survival type knife (4-5" blade)
    -Multitool
    -Cordage (paracord or other)
    -Good boots and clothing that serve the purpose
    -Rain Gear
    -Small cook system (maybe? depending on distance...also doubles as secondary water purification method via boiling)
    -Small amount of food (dry or dehydrated)
    -Container(s) for clean water (I keep a Nalgene or Klean Kanteen with me every day)
    -Full IFAK
    -Maps or some type of navigation system
    -Light source (flashlight and/or headlamp)
    -TP!

*During winter, you'll probably need a heavier sleeping bag, most likely a sleep pad, and some better insulative clothing...which probably means you will need a bigger pack for the winter months.
    I actually just ordered one to go with a poncho as layer system. The much beloved woobie!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Good man.

If I had to pick one item I never want to be away from it's a poncho.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I actually just ordered one to go with a poncho as layer system. The much beloved woobie!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast