Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Axes. If I could name one item that's absolutely retarded, it's an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    What do people add to a BOB you feel is worthless/over complicated?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Axes. If I could name one item that's absolutely retarded, it's an axe.
    Interesting you feel that way. An axe is probably one of the more useful tools available.

For the record, I don't have one in my bag due to weight. But I have a small Gerber if I changed my mind.

For many in bushcraft, the axe is indispensable or thought to be even more versatile than a large knife.

If you don't like it or want it is one thing but to call it retarded is a bit much.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    @Soulezoo

I don't plan on building log cabins, or carving out canoes. So for my personal *needs* an axe will remain in the "absolutely retarded" category.

Not trying to be an ass, but in my AO axes are beyond worthless. Especially for any situation involving continuous movement. If I was gonna park my ass in one spot, and split logs all day; sure.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And forgetting what seems minor and ending up dead is why people over complicate it I'd guess, and of course there's an entire industry built on convincing you if you don't have "it" you're a dead man.

What do you have in you BOB?

What do people add to a BOB you feel is worthless/over complicated?

First aid kits would be one. I see a lot of people packing first aid kits that could treat the apocalypse. A lot of common injuries can be treated with some basic stuff, also, I think a lot of people delve too far in to the "well, what if?" I carry less crap in my trauma box on my fire engine then I see some people carry in they're BOB. There is always going to be "well what if?" One just has to be realistic.

The same goes for the rest of the bag. A lot of people over prepare, excessive forcible entry tools, a full shelter, etc...

I feel what you put in you're bag should be specific to your mission and environment. If you live in an urban environment and your mission is to get from work to home and then leave, your kit is going to be different from someone who lives in a rural area and is heading for the woods. For me, I live in a major metropolitan/suburban area and work about 30 miles away in another major metropolitan/suburban area. I'm an avid outdoorsman and backpacker and know what I need to be comfortable for three days. My bag is setup to get me home from work or some other place I may be stuck within a reasonable distance.

I have a Kelty MAP 3500 that contains three full days of supplies:

1. Food
    2. Snowpeak TI Stove and pot
    3. Snowpeak Ti Spoon
    4. BRKT Bravo 1 (brush knife)
    5. Surefire EB1
    6. Spare batteries for light
    7. Toilet paper
    8. Hand sanitizer
    9. Small shit shovel
    10. Spare ziplock bags
    11. First aid kit (ibuprofen, medical tape, 4x4 gauze, coban, Sam splint, bandaids, tourniquet, quick clot)
    12. 100ft paracord
    13. MSR water filter
    14. (2) 1L Nalgene bottles
    15. Tarp shelter
    16. Dr. Bronners soap ( orange scent is the shit, although I hear peppermint is pretty awesome too. You can literally use this stuff to clean everything, and a little goes a long way.)
    17. Leatherman
    18. 6 L MSR Platty bladder (carried empty)

For me, my goal is to make it home in a few hours, but to have what I NEED if it takes a few days. I don't need an elaborate shelter, there are literally thousands of buildings I could break into and call home for a night if I needed to. Elaborate first aid kit? Not really, how much are you going to realistically do to your self in the field, alone? Stop the bleeding and self extricate, get your self to a place where you can get real medical attention, that's your best bet. If you can't do that you're probably dead anyway.

Once I get home I have a bigger 50L pack that I would load into the truck with some other odds and ends for a that a 250 mile trip to 37,000 acres of family property in the middle of no where. Things are always better in the country.

Feedback Score
    I saw the same exact problem on my hunting pack. I thought of two solutions, only one of which would work in a BOB scenario. In the hunting scenario, I went with a drop leg holster and all of the pros and cons they bring. It got the pistol off my hip and made room for the waist belt of my pack. In the BO scenario you have I think two real options, a shoulder rig, too many straps conflicting with each other for me, or take the holster off your body and attach it to your chest, think, frontal draw from a holster attached to body armor. Since in a BO scenario you won't likely be trying to blend in with the crowd while in transit wearing body armor, think of a way of attaching the holster to either a sternum strap or one of the shoulder straps of your pack. Not ideal, no longer concealable but accessible. Good luck.
    Last edited by City Rat; 08-11-16 at 05:31.

Feedback Score
    Oh BTW not to pile on but a sling bag no bueno IMHO for BO purposes, just too much movement. I grabbed an el cheaparino version when my gym bag broke and it works for that and urban blend in purposes but even walking a couple blocks from my office to the gym the thing slides around.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    You gotta check out the Kifaru Woobie. If you can get over the sticker shock, it's a great upgrade to the USGI Woobie and worth the cost IMO.
    I have one I keep in the car and take camping. The kids often snag it on long trips. I like the car cooler than they do. It's worth the extra money. But I still have a bunch of USGI Poncho Liners so I've only got one Kiraru Woobie.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    @Soulezoo

I don't plan on building log cabins, or carving out canoes. So for my personal *needs* an axe will remain in the "absolutely retarded" category.

Not trying to be an ass, but in my AO axes are beyond worthless. Especially for any situation involving continuous movement. If I was gonna park my ass in one spot, and split logs all day; sure.

It's not a bad idea to keep in your vehicle. I am thinking a hatchet, not a full size ax. It can be used as a hammer, hatchet and in self defense.

I am gear whore. I've been doing much better, being broke helps. =) I like the three day pack. I hate waist bands, they come off right away. I also have a long torso so the bag in no way would be in the way of a holster for me. I keep an old pair of sneakers in the car during the summer as I often have sandals on. Not the best for a long walk, climbing or fighting in. But damn it it's shorts and sandals weather.

I always hated wearing a poncho I always sweat enough that wearing one does not make sense for me. I do have one and should add it to the car kit. It's good for a ground cloth or sleeping and can be loaned out or used by the kids.. I keep a raincoat in the car.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 08-16-16 at 11:48.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I have the Hill People Gear kit bag (http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/) in my car as my concealed carry component of my GHB kit. It's large enough that I can carry my pistol yet thin enough I can zip my jacket over it and go incognito. I also have a RIBZ waist bag (http://www.ribzwear.com/) as part of the kit. The final is a small featureless, worn rucksack with a Wiggy's Poncho and poncho liner, water, snacks.

I can add or subtract from the kit from what's in my car all the time. I do have an ax, folding bow saw, water, first aid kit, rain jacket, work gloves, etc in my car all the time. What goes on my person will be dependent upon the weather, distance from destination, conditions etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So, been methodically getting my BOB together. Still loosly following the 72 hour rule. Supposedly stats say if you can survive 72 hours after the event, your chances of survival jump sharply. I'm not sure where those supposed stats come from or someone just decided that seemed a good number in terms of balance between how much stuff most can or will carry vs time after event that forced you to use your BOB.

Another basic goal/guide I have seen regarding a BOB is a max weight to shoot for of 25lbs. Mine is currently dead on 25lbs. I'm guessing that number assumes most people could ruck that weight for an extended period.

What does your BOB weigh? Or do you not care? I was just curious to see what mine weighed and checked it vs shooting for that specific weight and it was 25 lbs.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is one of those things that engender some heated opinions. I really think that ultimately the end result is based on needs and circumstances. That is going to be different for each individual depending on location, time of year and the reasons surrounding the need to bug out. I have assembled a few bags for myself and a few more for family. My winter bag is different than the summer bag and is heavier as a result (extra clothing). I live in the mountains and hypothermia in the winter is more a concern than if I lived in San Diego. 72 hours worth of food and water alone makes for a lot of weight. My light bag is 30 lbs. My heavier (actually more a long term bag with a tent and sleeping bag instead of a bivy) bag is about 43lbs. However, there are a lot of little odds and ends in those bags that I can distribute to others or simply ditch if not needed. Plus, your bag is heaviest at the start and lightens as food and water is consumed.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 02-28-17 at 10:47.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast