Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    A casual observation regarding a BOB.
    I recently took a four day vacation and hiked part of the Grand Canyon, about forty miles total. Although we had Mules, I decided to give the whole BOB theory of mine a workout. I packed my BOB the whole way everyday of the four days over some rather challenging terrain, my observations were.
    Thirty pounds of gear is a bit more challenging than it was twenty years ago.
    Twenty five to Thirty pounds of gear was for me the weight of what a 72 hour kit would weigh.
    It's not so much the weight that will get you, it is getting in a hurry and making bad decisions. At one point I made a water crossing and didn't change out of my boots and in to my water shoes. Bad, bad, bad decision. In an emergency (and I certainly wasn't stressed about making this decision, I just F'ed up) a decision like that could cost you dearly.
    Your feet aren't likely used to making this kind of mileage. Not only did my bad decision above cost me some skin off of my Achilles tendon area, my toe nails took a beating and a couple ended up black and blue.
    In the sake of brevity, it's not going to make a difference what's in your BOB if you're not practicing with it. Rucking is something like running, unless you're doing it regularly, going out of the blocks without some practice isn't the way you want to do this.
    Thanks for the write up; reinforces that "ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain" mantra.

May I ask what kind of bag you were using? Framed, non-framed?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have read a number of threads about BOBs. I will be buying a new vehicle in a few months (and I will be relocating across the country), so the topic is of interest to me as I plan for what goes in the new truck.

I find it interesting that I have never heard anyone mention what to have packed for their kids. There will be a decent chance I will have one or both of my kids in the car if things take a turn for the unpleasant. Therefore, I am adding some "parental leadership challenge" items to what I keep in the car.

In addition to season/location appropriate necessities, I plan on adding an esbit stove with fuel tabs, some tea bags, and a couple of packs of Ramen. These may seem like strange choices, however, they have some logic behind them. My daughter began joining me on some mountain adventures a couple of years ago. In times of adversity (unexpected weather degradation, minor injury, general pre-teen melt-down, etc.) I have broken out the jet-boil and made tea while we work things out. It serves as a way to level the situation out and keep her calm. She also really likes tea. The Ramen serves a similar purpose and also helps prevent me from having hunger induced drama with one or more children. Additionally, both the tea and Ramen will be indispensable if we wind up with vehicle issues (or assist with someone else) in the Sierras in the winter. I have decided the esbit would be a much cheaper option to keep in the car than another jet-boil.

Everyone will have to make there own choices. I believe my chances of needing to keep the kids happy on a long walk out of the boondocks is greater than my chances of having to E&E my way home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmcgavinson View Post
    Thanks for the write up; reinforces that "ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain" mantra.

May I ask what kind of bag you were using? Framed, non-framed?
    The bag is made by Camel Back and has a semi rigid internal frame.
    I will replace this bag with one with a stiff frame and a comfortable waist belt. Although this one was great for climbing and rough terrain, the lack of stability on the long hike out was fatiguing.
    It does however carry a water bladder/Camel Back system well as this was a built in design. I actually had two bladders in the pack at all times.
    It might be a decent BOB, but it can be rather uncomfortable for long distances.
    Worst case for me would be a 15 mile walk home from work. That might be right at the edge of what this bag will do comfortably.
    Last edited by Averageman; 07-28-17 at 12:37.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My observation is that most of the bags people consider suitable for BOB/GHB would be very uncomfortable to carry far with a typical loadout.

I still use them, but recognize that they can easily hold more than would be appropriate. And just plan on using them cinched down most of the time.

On food, I used to carry bullion, instant soup, Ramen. And still do sometimes. But if you look at the caloric intake versus the weight of what's required to prepare it you're far better off carrying much more energy dense food. Including some of the shortbread type survival rations. Though I appreciate the psychological benefit or broth/tea.

Keeping kids happy is a valid exception, but do you really need to carry meals in a get home bag?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I used to carry bullion
    No wonder your bag was so heavy!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Chicken or gold?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    1 bar's not so bad!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I work 60 miles from home, over one mountain and across the Tennessee River, so I have been putting together a light weight get home pack. I picked up the SOL breathable bivvy and have used it as a lightweight sleeping bag- it works as advertised.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bw_PYI_W8

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My get home bag is mostly the same stuff I carry with me back packing but in a shrunk down, bare necessities package. I work 30 miles from home, I figure worst case scenario it takes me two days of solid walking to get home, maybe three if things are really shitty.

A big thing to consider is your terrain and whether you will have a vehicle or not. I work and live in a sprawling urban area, my goal is that if things get bad, I can hopefully drive home and stay with my vehicle. I don't pack any shelter in my bag as it takes up room, adds weight, and in the event of a disaster, I don't want to be pitching a tent in the suburbs. I'll either sleep in the truck or in unoccupied buildings.

I have in my bag: food, water, water filter, stove, soap, cooking pot, spoon, small towel, compass, pen and paper, lighter, matches, multi tool, flash light, basic first aid, rain jacket, change of clothes, spare batteries. Everything is in a black Kelty MAP 3500 with waist strap removed to facilitate easy access to my pistol.

I always have on me at work a Surefire Defender and Benchmade Contego.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Having read, pondered,considered and discussed the Get home bag concept, the first question is, Do I need one?
    I work about 25 miles from home, suburban area, middle to upper middle class residential /strip mall type area. No ghettos or 'dangerous areas' per se.
    Supposing an untoward event were to occur, flooding,hurricane, severe power outage, unable to use vehicle for xyz reason and need to walk home ?
    What do I require ?
    Comfy footwear and hydration first come to mind.
    I appendix carry a G19, always have a folder/fixed blade,flashlight, lighter, "boo-boo" kit in pocket, bandana/hankerchief, and hat. Maybe toss a .99 plastic poncho in back pocket for rainy weather and walk home ! The small camelback in my car will be filled for the walk home and a pedialyte packet or nuun fizzy tabs added as well. Figure a 25 mile walk will take me anywhere between 6-8 hours. I have no intention of "bugging out" and becoming a wandering refugee for any period of time. I will "bug -in".

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast