Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I work 60 miles from home, over one mountain and across the Tennessee River, so I have been putting together a light weight get home pack. I picked up the SOL breathable bivvy and have used it as a lightweight sleeping bag- it works as advertised.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bw_PYI_W8
    Just how cold was it when you used it? The SOL bivvy has always seemed to be nothing more than a glorified space blanket or sleeping bag liner. I can't picture it offering much in the way of warmth all by itself.

I pictured using one to line my MSS patrol bag when it's too cold for the patrol bag by itself (say down to the low 30s). Should add maybe 10* of warmth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I often wonder if the folks contemplating these distances have ever gone out and actually tried to walk them, especially with a load. Especially in overland hikes. If the folks on the trails of various 10k volksmarches are any indication, the general population isn't walking anywhere.

Ruck up and hit the road. Go for a really long walk. See how long it takes you in your AO. Assess onset and management of thirst, hunger, fatigue. Adjust preps. Envision your car breaking down or your bus/subway/carpool not being available. Far more likely, and readily adaptable reality to the more exotic stuff people seem to feel most inclined to talk about.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Just how cold was it when you used it? The SOL bivvy has always seemed to be nothing more than a glorified space blanket or sleeping bag liner. I can't picture it offering much in the way of warmth all by itself.

I pictured using one to line my MSS patrol bag when it's too cold for the patrol bag by itself (say down to the low 30s). Should add maybe 10* of warmth.
    I have used down to the mid 50's without any additional insulation. When it cools off this fall/winter I will see how low it can go.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I often wonder if the folks contemplating these distances have ever gone out and actually tried to walk them, especially with a load. Especially in overland hikes. If the folks on the trails of various 10k volksmarches are any indication, the general population isn't walking anywhere.

Ruck up and hit the road. Go for a really long walk. See how long it takes you in your AO. Assess onset and management of thirst, hunger, fatigue. Adjust preps. Envision your car breaking down or your bus/subway/carpool not being available. Far more likely, and readily adaptable reality to the more exotic stuff people seem to feel most inclined to talk about.
    I have done many backpacking trips, the longest 40 miles, but normally in the 20 mile range. I doubt if I will have the time or opportunity to try 60 miles anytime soon, though. If I ever have to hoof it home I am counting on moving cross country roadside with a light load as opposed to my backpacking trips with a heavy pack up and down mountains. And you are right about getting out and walking with a load.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Duplicate
    Last edited by flenna; 07-31-17 at 20:29. Reason: Duplicate

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

You are correct. You're average gun owner, or average American in general for that matter, probably won't make it five miles. I can do 30 miles a day here in flat Florida in 100 degree weather, that's including time for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a few water stops. That's pretty much 12 hours of constant walking, and that's in a non austere environment. If you factor in a natural disaster that involves roving gangs or severe weather, that can obviously drop substantially.

My little survival bag weighs under 20 lbs and it's just that, a survival bag. It's mostly food, water and some stuff if I get a little hurt. Pretty much all you actually need to continue on for a few days is food and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The reality of 21st Century CONUS is that most people get around via automobiles or mass transit, a very real scenario that would force most of these people on foot would be traffic grid lock caused by one scenario or another.

Back when hurricane Rita hit Houston right after Katrina hit New Orleans the interstates were all grid locked for days. All south bound lanes were directed north, nothing helped. They had to send tanker trucks out to give people gas who ran out as they were parked on the interstate. I've seen ice storms cripple highways here where some folks were caught in their cars for a couple of days as the highways were impassable and turned into parking lots.

In these scenarios people where not threatened by impending violence forcing them on foot so the majority of them remained with their cars.

A HEMP or CME would make 99% of people into hikers if they transpired during the work week.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    One thing that I would add to a BOB is something for you mental strength ie: pic of the family, small trinket, something that reminds you of a funny moment, etc. Obviously you need to choose something that is small and light weight.

So much more can be accomplished and pushed when you are able to exert your mental strength passed the 40% wall to continue on and survive.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    One thing that I would add to a BOB is something for you mental strength ie: pic of the family, small trinket, something that reminds you of a funny moment, etc. Obviously you need to choose something that is small and light weight.

So much more can be accomplished and pushed when you are able to exert your mental strength passed the 40% wall to continue on and survive.
    Excellent point! I would add to it a small item that is a "morale booster"

Years ago I did a one month Outward Bound school.

About 3 weeks in, we had already lived so sparsely and "deprived" that we felt like homeless Spartans.

The Instructor took out a small bag of Jolly Rancher candy ... each of us got two.

The pleasure of that candy was way far disproportionate to what it should have been ... you'd think we were eating steak filets!

Every BOB has weight & size room for a few
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 08-04-17 at 12:56.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    I have read a number of threads about BOBs. I will be buying a new vehicle in a few months (and I will be relocating across the country), so the topic is of interest to me as I plan for what goes in the new truck.

I find it interesting that I have never heard anyone mention what to have packed for their kids. There will be a decent chance I will have one or both of my kids in the car if things take a turn for the unpleasant. Therefore, I am adding some "parental leadership challenge" items to what I keep in the car.

In addition to season/location appropriate necessities, I plan on adding an esbit stove with fuel tabs, some tea bags, and a couple of packs of Ramen. These may seem like strange choices, however, they have some logic behind them. My daughter began joining me on some mountain adventures a couple of years ago. In times of adversity (unexpected weather degradation, minor injury, general pre-teen melt-down, etc.) I have broken out the jet-boil and made tea while we work things out. It serves as a way to level the situation out and keep her calm. She also really likes tea. The Ramen serves a similar purpose and also helps prevent me from having hunger induced drama with one or more children. Additionally, both the tea and Ramen will be indispensable if we wind up with vehicle issues (or assist with someone else) in the Sierras in the winter. I have decided the esbit would be a much cheaper option to keep in the car than another jet-boil.

Everyone will have to make there own choices. I believe my chances of needing to keep the kids happy on a long walk out of the boondocks is greater than my chances of having to E&E my way home.
    Diapers and some junk food. We live in a small town, maybe 5 miles from home to.day care. My job is about a mile past. Wife works part time

90% of the time one of us would get them, or I'd walk home with them... eventually.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast