Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights Installation

Feedback Score

XS Big Dot Sights Installation

Am hoping to upgrade my sights to the XS Big Dots on the Glock 19, and then if they prove successful for me, perhaps for a G26 as well. I am not a competitive or long distance pistol target shooter, but rather my goal is to have a fast sight picture for defensive application for eyes that aren't getting younger. Here's my specific question: for those who have installed these yourselves, do you recommend using a rear sight tool (like from Maryland Gun Works) or drifting the sight with a punch? The manufacturer installation videos demonstrate the punch method, and they actually recommend not using a sight tool, suggesting that if the sight is out of alignment as it is placed into the groove in the slide, it may not be recognized due to the mechanical advantage of the tool and binding might break something. For those of you who have actually done this, what has been your experience? Thanks for your input!!!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Install the front with red loctite (271) high strength. As far as the rear goes the XS sights don't take much to install so a wooden dowel should suffice. Don't lock the rear down (blue loctite 242) until you are happy with your poa/poi with your chosen loads and distance. I don't think the rear sight on the XS's would give enough to bite on your average sight tool. My MGW pro allows height adjustment but I'd still just knock em in with a wood or nylon.

Feedback Score
    If they are tritium, push them in. If not, it's up to you. I've always found it easier to get them straight when pushing than pounding. Generally, anymore, about the only sights I drift are rifle sights.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This may help...

Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tower59 View Post
    Am hoping to upgrade my sights to the XS Big Dots on the Glock 19, and then if they prove successful for me, perhaps for a G26 as well. I am not a competitive or long distance pistol target shooter, but rather my goal is to have a fast sight picture for defensive application for eyes that aren't getting younger. Here's my specific question: for those who have installed these yourselves, do you recommend using a rear sight tool (like from Maryland Gun Works) or drifting the sight with a punch? The manufacturer installation videos demonstrate the punch method, and they actually recommend not using a sight tool, suggesting that if the sight is out of alignment as it is placed into the groove in the slide, it may not be recognized due to the mechanical advantage of the tool and binding might break something. For those of you who have actually done this, what has been your experience? Thanks for your input!!!
    I'm nearly certain that the XS sights come with a brass punch. I could be wrong though, but here's what I recommend:

If you don't have a punch, you can get nylon or brass punches from eBay for very cheap. Get the punches, get some blue loctite, get a glock sight tool (also on ebay for really cheap.)

Unscrew the existing front sight, blue loctite and screw the new one one. Use the punch to punch the old one out and new one in. Done.

I would NOT use red loctite for any of this. Blue loctite is meant to prevent things from walking out but still be able to break a seal by man-strength. Red loctite needs to be heated up in order for it to be removed by hand. I would not recommend red for this.

Feedback Score
    The sites come with a nylon punch for the rear site – they also come with the correct tool for the front site as well as the red Loctite. They are really a DIY job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Op, before you blow $100, knock your rear sight out, and paint the front white. Go burn some rounds like that and see if it works for you. That's very close to the XS sight picture and doesn't cost anything.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've installed dozens and dozens of fronts with red loctite (271) and never had any shoot loose or be difficult to remove. We're not talking a lug nut here it's a tiny machine screw, they break free plenty easy. I glue the blade down and the screw both.

Feedback Score
    I installed a set of the Standard Dot Tritium's on my G30s. The hardest part is getting the factory rear out. On the XS sights the Front takes a little bit of care to get lined up, but the same can probably be said for any other front site going on a Glock. Actually installing the front is a breeze. I opted for Blue Loctite over the Red they provided. I've bumped it against door frames and dropped it once while cleaning on Tile floor and it hasn't budged.

For the rear, again, getting the stock one out was a chore. I don't have a pusher and used a wooden dowel rod. Be careful, but don't baby it. Once out, if you follow the directions, the rear goes in just as easy as the front. I can't remember if it was in the instructions or on their website, but it said that if it doesn't slide in with minimal force, you should carefully and slowly file it down. Mine was pretty tight, so I took one of the wife's nail files and ran the base of the sight once from Left to Right, and then back from Right to Left. After that, it slid in perfectly. Just a little resistance. The rear has 2 set screws built into it, and they snug it up very nicely. Not only is it easy, but it makes alignment a breeze. You can make very fine adjustments that can't really be achieved with traditional press-fit sights. I haven't use Loctite on the rear yet, as my 30s shoots a little low/left. Being my first Glock, I realize that could be operator error, but there is a very small chance it's an issue with the mechanical accuracy. So, I haven't committed to the Loctite yet in the event I want to drift it. Yes, I know the "hold" of Blue Loctite can be more easily removed with a little bit of force, but I don't want to use it until I decide on the orientation of the Rear Sight. The main reason being that I do not believe the Set Screws can be removed from the housing. Thus, I wouldn't be able to clean up the residue on the screws. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I do that with any screws I have to remove and remount. Loctite aside, the Rear is very snug with just the Set Screws. Again, I've bumped it on door frames, dropped it, and done one-handed manipulations. It stays exactly where I placed it.

I suppose the short version is:
    -The installation is very easy. Probably the easiest of any pistol sights I've installed
    -Don't be afraid to take their advice and shave a little off the rear if it is too tight to push in with your fingers. Just take it slow. A little filing goes a long ways
    -Loctite or not, these sights stay very secure.

One final thought, take a serious look at the Standard Dot XS. It's very easy to pick up and track and can offer some better precision at longer ranges. A lot of people will say that they aren't very accurate outside of "you to me" distances, but I don't think that's true in practice. It really comes down to getting a Sight that suits your eye and mind. As expected, at close distance it is remarkably quick.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Yes, on the XS rear with tritium, it's supposed to be a slip fit, held in by red Lock-Tite. The tritium vial is situated vertically in the center of the sight which would cause it to easily break if it was tight in the dovetail.

I never use a punch with any tritium (or other) sight. Proper fitting and a proper pusher is the best method of installation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast