Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights Installation

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Op, before you blow $100, knock your rear sight out, and paint the front white. Go burn some rounds like that and see if it works for you. That's very close to the XS sight picture and doesn't cost anything.
    Except with no rear sight you have no indication of pitch whereas the XS rear sight provides that.

MM

Feedback Score
    As mentioned, they come with a nylon punch. I used it once on a non-tritium rear, shattered it trying to get the sight in. Used one of my brass punches. This was before I went to just pushing them in.

However, I don't use a standard pusher, and I have absolute control over sight movement, down to 001".

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Except with no rear sight you have no indication of pitch whereas the XS rear sight provides that.

MM
    Very little. The rear sight is a good deal shorter than the front so you pretty much have to align the front dot on top of the rear stripe and get the little gap between 'em the right size. Ridiculously slow and imprecise.

Feedback Score
    I installed a set of XS Big Dot Sights on my Kimber Pro Carry II (came with black sights on a carry gun, go figure). I was most nervous about the vice marking up the slide. Someone recommended holding the slide in the vice with brass jaws and a piece of paper. I tightened the vice just enough to old the slide firmly, but no more. Other than that, I followed the instructions that came with the sights and everything went smoothly. There was not a single mark on my slide and the job looks like a professional did it. Go for it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Very little. The rear sight is a good deal shorter than the front so you pretty much have to align the front dot on top of the rear stripe and get the little gap between 'em the right size. Ridiculously slow and imprecise.
    I've been using big dots for well over a decade and been cleaning house at matches with them. They are not target sights they are fighting sights and they excel at rapid acquisition and moving targets. Sight alignment is sight alignment, if you can find the proper sight alignment/ sight picture then you're going to make hits. Three dot sights, one dot sights, v notch big dot sights, it doesn't make any difference. As your post alluded to it's all about finding the front sight and no front sight is easier to find than a big dot. The big dots have the advantage of having a very large and easy to see/find front sight that is designed to sit above(on top) of the rear sight. Whether or not your sight alignment is precise enough for the range/situation you're shooting and whether or not your fundamentals are sound is an entirely different matter. That being said if your drawstroke is consistent then finding the front sight with standard notch sights is a non issue.

MM

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    As mentioned, they come with a nylon punch. I used it once on a non-tritium rear, shattered it trying to get the sight in. Used one of my brass punches. This was before I went to just pushing them in.

However, I don't use a standard pusher, and I have absolute control over sight movement, down to 001".

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like you didn't read the installation instructions. The sights are not to be drifted in, they should snug but installed by hand. If the sights are too tight they are to be lightly filed/sanded until they slip in with only hand pressure.

MM

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I've been using big dots for well over a decade and been cleaning house at matches with them. They are not target sights they are fighting sights and they excel at rapid acquisition and moving targets. Sight alignment is sight alignment, if you can find the proper sight alignment/ sight picture then you're going to make hits. Three dot sights, one dot sights, v notch big dot sights, it doesn't make any difference. As your post alluded to it's all about finding the front sight and no front sight is easier to find than a big dot. The big dots have the advantage of having a very large and easy to see/find front sight that is designed to sit above(on top) of the rear sight. Whether or not your sight alignment is precise enough for the range/situation you're shooting and whether or not your fundamentals are sound is an entirely different matter. That being said if your drawstroke is consistent then finding the front sight with standard notch sights is a non issue.

MM

I tried 'em and I thought they sucked. Especially for competition where the only shots I really used the sights on were the low probability shots that required precision. Big sloppy 'combat' sights are conducive to big sloppy shooting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had them on my Glock 19 when I first bought it. Previous owner had them installed.

At the time, I didn't see the the advantage behind the sights and I kind of wish I gave them another shot.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    These things seem to have two followings love or hate. I have a set on my g19 and love them. They are not precision sights you will not win bullseye competitions with them but in both eyes open Combat shooting where the goal is to put lead on a COM hit you will be faster with these
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    On an unrealistically large qual target maybe.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast