Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KRISS Vector Discussion Thread

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

KRISS Vector Discussion Thread

Anyone have any trigger time on one of these?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 08-09-16 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have one (got it last week), but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It is a SDP pistol with a form 1 pending to SBR it. I also have the 45 version and have shot it a bit (3500 rounds through it so far). I like it and it is a soft shooting gun. It is also a SDP with form 1 pending (should be approved any day now), and has the factory arm brace.

What I like: Very soft shooting and easy to control on strings of shots; trigger isn't 1911 quality - but it very good for what it is (clean break with decent feel); reasonably accurate (on par with my MKE MP5k) with it easy to hit pie plate size steel at 50; so far, no stoppages or ftf with a variety of factory and other ammo. It suppresses nicely as well. I had read in various media that there is some strong or strange secondary impulse from the vectoring of recoil, but I haven't noticed it.

Small gripes fixed as a SBR: arm brace doesn't fold (folding stock fixes this), the magwell hold isn't as comfortable as a VFG would be. I just put a handstop on it and will try it the next time I get time. I got to shoot the SBR version when the Kriss rep did a demo at my local club back in January when they had ShotShow stuff going on and really liked it. I didn't get to shoot the SMG version because the wait was too long.

Small issues that take some awareness to get used to: the position of the mag release (forward and on the left hand side) isn't in a "natural" place, so I had to find it the first few times I wanted to try fast mag changes. No big deal after a little practice. The sight over bore is pretty high (like nearly 5" with a MRO in a co-witness mount), so at close range or around obstacles, you have to be aware of it.

Issue that wouldn't be an issue with the 9mm: I had a mag with the Kriss extension on it come apart when it hit the deck changing mags. The Glock 18 mags don't have add-on extensions, so this is a non-issue for the 9. I may try gluing the outer extension sleeve to the base of the host Glock 21 mag if this happens again. It may have been just a mistake by me with assembly since I bought extensions for mags I had, rather than buying Kriss made mags. I hope Magpul makes G21 one piece extended mags at some point.

The only other thing I haven't figured out is a good solution for a sling when it is a SBR. There are no loops, QDs, or places for them on the frame or stock. Right now, the best solution I have come up with is a rail mounted QD (Magpul RSA fits best). It isn't optimal, but it works ok with the arm brace, since the arm brace version (like the SBR) doesn't have any sling mounts.

From what I have read, the 9 is an even softer shooting gun and even more controllable. I can let you know in a week or so when I get a chance to shoot the 9.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that. Fantastic information.

I've been wanting one for a VERY long time, but wasn't interested in biting until a 9 came out.

Does the SDP still have provisions for accepting Surefire E-series lights above the muzzle? What iron sights are the including on these? I seem to remember the Gen I .45 having a blueish-anodized proprietary Magpul BUIS.

Not surprised to hear about the Mag Extensions failing. I was NOT a fan of that design.

I've held back on buying until they "got it together" and released a 9 that took Glock fun sticks. Also good to hear long-term use of the .45 has been positive.

Thanks for all the great information.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that. Fantastic information.

I've been wanting one for a VERY long time, but wasn't interested in biting until a 9 came out.

Does the SDP still have provisions for accepting Surefire E-series lights above the muzzle?
    From what they say on their website, the GEN2 doesn't. I don't know what the differences there between the GEN1 and GEN2 (outside of parts availability) that would preclude retrofit. The GEN1 has a removable plastic "light plug", but the GEN2 doesn't.

What iron sights are the including on these? I seem to remember the Gen I .45 having a blueish-anodized proprietary Magpul BUIS.
    MBUS standard plastic sights. Which are a little "big" for the space, but I don't see crowding the top rail with anything more than an optic and sling mount, so they are perfectly fine for the purpose.

Not surprised to hear about the Mag Extensions failing. I was NOT a fan of that design.
    I examined the offending mag, and it had a small area on the host Glock mag where it didn't seat properly, so a little trim got rid of the extra material left over from molding. The jury is still out on them, but you'll never have the problem with the 9

I've held back on buying until they "got it together" and released a 9 that took Glock fun sticks. Also good to hear long-term use of the .45 has been positive.

Thanks for all the great information.
    No problem. I can't wait to get the time to try out my 9.

Feedback Score
    I have a SDP, awaiting a form 1.
    Prior to that, I had my hands on a Gen 1 SBR. The trigger felt horrible, like a bullpup trigger; the safety was a bit of a pain and the charging handle was a bit stiff. This was the 45cal version.

I got my SDP and don't have any of those issues. The trigger is very nice with a distinct reset. I was able to comfortably rapid fire. The safety had a shorter throw it felt like, and never caused an issue. Charging handle wasn't difficult to use.

I've shot it a couple of times. First time using Glock mags I went through about 300 rounds. I had a couple FTEs, but with new guns I don't expect them to run perfect until I've got some rounds downrange. For a pistol, I was able to get quick follow up shots using a sling and pushing out. I can't wait to see what it does with a stock!

The second time I shot, I tried out some ETS 31 round mags. I had three. One functioned like my factory 33 round. #2 and #3 mag didn't want to chamber. I'd hit the release and it would get stuck at the base of the feed ramp horizontal. After I downloaded 3+ rounds they worked fine. By the end of the session #2 seemed to be working, #3 I wasn't sure. I never had any FTEs during that second time (the gun also got a nice cleaning after the first session). At home I loaded the mags the same way, fully loaded, dropped the bolt on the mag. They all loaded fine. Next time I have the gun out I'm going to check the mags at full capacity again. I presume the feed ramp and/or mags needed a little range time.

Haven't tried PMags and probably won't waste my time - only interested in 20+ round mags.

The front sight post IS shorter than a standard AR sight post, due to the height/bore difference.
    Your support hand has to stay clear of the bolt lock, otherwise it could engage.
    A sling QD pin can be used to replace the stock pin - sold separately
    The safety lever feels very plastic-y, like a Taser safety lever. Could break with enough force or carelessness.
    This gun is seriously fun to shoot, and much cheaper as a 9mm. Shooting and reloading 9mm is like giving the finger to those 22LR hoarding/gouging gun show trolls.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I recently got to see one of these disassembled, and was stunned at the simplicity of the operating system.

I expected the recoil system would be more complicated than it was.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 07-18-16 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I ended up getting a SDP Gen II in 9mm.

I am officially feeling you fellas on the Sling attachment points. The KRISS replacement pin *would* work, but I'm not crazy about it being on the "wrong" side of the gun.

I'm considering taking the dremel to an old receiver endplate, and using it. Some of rail-mounted options seem like they would work, but I ultimately plan on installing an optic and a DBAL, so it's going to get cramped up there real quick.

I saw where a dude replaced one of the takedown pins with a home-brewed QD cup. Solid idea, but seemed a touch on the hillbilly side, even for me.

ETA: Where are you guys getting the engraving done? I want to have that taken care of prior to sending the Form 1 application in.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 08-07-16 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I am officially feeling you fellas on the Sling attachment points. The KRISS replacement pin *would* work, but I'm not crazy about it being on the "wrong" side of the gun.

I'm considering taking the dremel to an old receiver endplate, and using it. Some of rail-mounted options seem like they would work, but I ultimately plan on installing an optic and a DBAL, so it's going to get cramped up there real quick.

I saw where a dude replaced one of the takedown pins with a home-brewed QD cup. Solid idea, but seemed a touch on the hillbilly side, even for me.
    The takedown pins and stock pivot pin are nearly identical to HK 9X series "large" pins (7mm diameter, Kriss ones are 35mm long).

These:
    http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK...W-107p1930.htm

would work (assuming you want to bring the '90's back with HK hooks on a sling). Should you want easier transport while you're waiting on Form 1, the "pin" the holds the arm brace is easily removable (drill out one side) and can be replaced with a HK pin or Kriss one. Or this instead: https://kriss-usa.com/shop/products/...slingmount-pin

To mount a light, I got this side rail kithttps://kriss-usa.com/shop/products/...tinny-rail-kit which could hold my CQBL-1 if I was to use a laser on it. I can see how the top rail can get cramped. Mine has the Magpul BUIS, a RSA mounted in front of the rear sight, and a MRO in a Battle Arms (more Henderson Homeboys) mount and it isn't cramped. A DBAL may push the limits a bit.

ETA: Where are you guys getting the engraving done? I want to have that taken care of prior to sending the Form 1 application in.
    Where on the lower receiver, or who to use for engraving? On the receiver, there is an exposed steel area framed by the plastic on the opposite side of the serial number on the magwell. I have a guy that does some laser marking for my work locally that I use for engraving. I have heard that Ident Marking (one f the M4C sponsors) does a decent job.
    Last edited by interfan; 08-08-16 at 16:01.

Feedback Score

Does that stabilizing brace fold to the side?

I ask because I saw one at Gander Mtn last week that was being fondled by another patron. He and the store clerk were trying to get it to fold (it appears to have a hinge) but were unsuccessful.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    @ Interfan:

Roger that. Yeah, I was trying to figure out where, physically, on the Vector to get the engraving done.

I may suck it up, and replace the pin with the Sling mount. The smallest sling-mount I could find was the Fortis RAP. I'd prefer something mounted to the body, in lieu of mounting the sling to the rail, but we'll see what happens...

@Sensei:

On the M4 variants, the receiver extension is fixed, and doesn't fold.

There's several different configurations as of 2016:

1) Carbine configuration with a shrouded 16" barrel, and folding Vector stock.
    2) Carbine configuration with a shrouded 16" barrel, and M4-stock/receiver extension
    3) Pistol configuration with a 5.5" barrel, and a sling-loop at the rear
    4) Pistol configuration with a 5.5" barrel, and a folding attachment for an arm brace
    5) Pistol configuration with a 5.5" barrel, and a M4-attachment with a pistol receiver extension and arm brace
    6) Factory SBR with a 5.5" barrel, and a M4 stock.
    7) Factory SBR with a 5.5" barrel, and a folding Vector stock.

There's also a .40, 10mm, .357 Sig, and .22 version of the Vector in the pipeline. The 9mm was the first of the new calibers to be released, relatively recently if I understand correctly.

Apparently, modularity and caliber swaps are part of what KRISS is trying to accomplish with the latest generation of the Vector; however, I'm personally only interested in the 9mm, mostly for the sake of logistics. It will take either the standard G17 mag, or the Glock 33-rd mags, which means feeding an "extra mouth" isn't an issue for me. That's been the big draw for the 9mm, IMO. The .45 never interested me due to the mags being squirrely, and me only having 9mm in the stable.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 08-09-16 at 08:05.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast