Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt n1 stock

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Can you imagine how many of those N1 stocks got tossed out at PD armories, etc.... in favor of some aftermarket stock??? Those stocks were all over not too many years back. I don't think I even still have one.
    They still hang out on more than a few SOF weapons. Most will eventually get tossed when replaced by a SOPMOD or Magpul product.

Im pretty sure we have a box or two of them just sitting in the arms room. I never knew they were a big deal until this XM build. I just assumed they were piled up in surplus stores - not a collectors item.

Rick

Feedback Score
    I would like to get one of the original metal stocks. Too pricey right now.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    They still hang out on more than a few SOF weapons. Most will eventually get tossed when replaced by a SOPMOD or Magpul product.

Im pretty sure we have a box or two of them just sitting in the arms room. I never knew they were a big deal until this XM build. I just assumed they were piled up in surplus stores - not a collectors item.

Rick
    I had the same reaction, no idea they were collectable until my 733 build- $125 for a used stock?!? I've told a few guys in my unit and they think I'm ****ing with them. When we got back from overseas all the N1 stocks got replaced w/ the current model, had I known I would've grabbed a dozen we were throwing out and bought a few cases of 5.56 with the profits.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well in the last 2 weeks I've had both a Colt N marked in like new condition and the M@A version in my hands.
    They're are differences in quality and finish, but without looking closely most would never know.

The first difference I noticed was in the latch pin assembly, the finish was not nearly as good and the action of it did not feel as tight.

Is the plastic material it's made from the same, no idea, but the Colt just looked better.

It's like all else with retro builds, how many real Colt parts do you want on your rifle and how much are you willing to spend.
    Last edited by jurassic; 07-15-16 at 07:56. Reason: Grammar

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    I would like to get one of the original metal stocks. Too pricey right now.
    Essential Arms makes some really nice repros.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Essential Arms makes some really nice repros.
    Thank you. I have them bookmarked but I've never seen any of their stocks. How is the quality of these? They are over $100.00 shipped.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    I have compared Mission Essential side by side with original Colt contract. There is a difference in quality, and the Colt is definitely a better quality piece. My experience reflects jurassic's comments above. Also, the synthetic stock uses a commercial diameter tube, not mil. spec. That might matter to anyone who has a rifle with gov. spec receiver extension. The original Colt stock is worth a little extra cash or leg work in my opinion.

In regard to aluminum, I have no experience with the Mission Essential aluminum stock. That being said, I actually like the old Bushmaster aluminum carbine stocks better than Colt. But, Bushmaster uses commercial diameter receiver extensions. If fit and function is key, I'd choose Bushy with commercial extension over Colt. If you want an authentic clone, the choice is obvious.

Spend a little time and learn the characteristics of a Colt contract fiberlite stock. There are plenty of original examples floating around without the "N1" marking. Good deals are out there. 10 years ago, these things were almost throw aways.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaDonkey View Post
    I have compared Mission Essential side by side with original Colt contract. There is a difference in quality, and the Colt is definitely a better quality piece. My experience reflects jurassic's comments above. Also, the synthetic stock uses a commercial diameter tube, not mil. spec. That might matter to anyone who has a rifle with gov. spec receiver extension. The original Colt stock is worth a little extra cash or leg work in my opinion.

In regard to aluminum, I have no experience with the Mission Essential aluminum stock. That being said, I actually like the old Bushmaster aluminum carbine stocks better than Colt. But, Bushmaster uses commercial diameter receiver extensions. If fit and function is key, I'd choose Bushy with commercial extension over Colt. If you want an authentic clone, the choice is obvious.

Spend a little time and learn the characteristics of a Colt contract fiberlite stock. There are plenty of original examples floating around without the "N1" marking. Good deals are out there. 10 years ago, these things were almost throw aways.
    You are saying "Mission Essential". Are you referring to Essential Arms? Additionally, to which synthetic stock are you referring that has a commercial diameter and not a mil-spec diameter? Also, the old Bushmaster aluminum stocks were neither commercial or mil-spec diameter. For some reason, Bushmaster had come up with their own diameter. They also used a proprietary 3-position buffer tube. I know this because I had one.

As far as Essential Arms aluminum stock goes, they offer them in commercial and mil-spec. I have not used one of their mil-spec aluminum stocks, but I know guys who have and they are really nice stocks. For anyone who cannot find or afford an original Colt aluminum stock/assembly, they are a great alternative.

As for the CAR fiberlite stocks from Model 1 Sales and M&A Parts, I have a few of the ones from Model 1 Sales. They are mil-spec as are the M&A parts versions. Again, I have never used the M&A CAR stock, but I know guys who have and they seem to like them. M&A sells the stock body separately and as an assembly, whereas Model 1 Sales just sells the assembly. I use my Model 1 Sales stock bodies with Nodak Spud mil-spec 2-position buffer tubes and they fit great. I have one AR that I used the entire assembly on.

So, that is the rundown based on my experience and knowledge.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also bought an Essential Arms Aluminum version, but I just sent it back for a replacement. The hole on top of the stock looked like it had chipped or the drill slipped before they had it powdered coated. Other than that it looked great.
    Vaughn is sending out another one. This time I'll take pictures.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    You are saying "Mission Essential". Are you referring to Essential Arms? Additionally, to which synthetic stock are you referring that has a commercial diameter and not a mil-spec diameter? Also, the old Bushmaster aluminum stocks were neither commercial or mil-spec diameter. For some reason, Bushmaster had come up with their own diameter. They also used a proprietary 3-position buffer tube. I know this because I had one.

As far as Essential Arms aluminum stock goes, they offer them in commercial and mil-spec. I have not used one of their mil-spec aluminum stocks, but I know guys who have and they are really nice stocks. For anyone who cannot find or afford an original Colt aluminum stock/assembly, they are a great alternative.

As for the CAR fiberlite stocks from Model 1 Sales and M&A Parts, I have a few of the ones from Model 1 Sales. They are mil-spec as are the M&A parts versions. Again, I have never used the M&A CAR stock, but I know guys who have and they seem to like them. M&A sells the stock body separately and as an assembly, whereas Model 1 Sales just sells the assembly. I use my Model 1 Sales stock bodies with Nodak Spud mil-spec 2-position buffer tubes and they fit great. I have one AR that I used the entire assembly on.

So, that is the rundown based on my experience and knowledge.
    I was referring to M&A for the fiberlite clone. Sorry about the confusion, written in haste this morning, coffee hadn't kicked in.

Let's make this simple to follow:

I don't know it Bushmaster uses "their own" extension diameter. I do know it is larger than mil-spec. Therefor I assume that it is "commercial" diameter. I have both an aluminum stock on hand with extension and lock nut. Yep, three position tube (which I like), and their twist on the old school lock nut. Dark blued, rather than Colt grey for the era. I like the Bushmaster aluminum stock better then the Colt.

The M&A synthetic carbine stock extension hole was substantially larger in diameter than Colt Fiberlite, it was extremely sloppy on a factory Colt two position SP1 carbine extension. It was definitely not "mil-spec." I assume that it is "commercial" diameter. I wasn't happy with it.

The Colt acetate stock didn't "do it" for me, and was happy to get $450 for it. Snug as a bug. I replaced it with a Colt Fiberlite, and couldn't be happier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast