Thread: just got this Norinco MAC 90, what can you tell me about it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

just got this Norinco MAC 90, what can you tell me about it?

Posted this at the AK Forum also.

Just won a GunBroker auction for this Norinco MAC 90 - $580.00. What can you tell me about it?

- Is it a stamped receiver?
    - Wil it run w / most any AK magazines?
    - Will it run with SP or HP ammo reliably?

One AK Forum post answered above questions: yes, yes, yes

Some info from the auction description:

- looks Like a Pre Ban Rifle
    - Factory Threaded Barrel
    - USA Parts were installed to make it 922R Compliant
    - Made in China By Norinco Mak 90 7.62x39
    - all matching numbers
    - Excellent Condition with a Excellent Bore
    - marked Made in China By Norinco CSI Los Angeles Ca
    - barrel is threaded with the spring loaded detent pin and USA slant brake
    - The pistol grip, Double hook 3 piece trigger assembly, magazine follower and base plate are all American Made parts
    - sling and 30 round magazine are included
    - Barrel is 16 inches with factory 14x1mm left hand threads

Someone posted there: "Is it blued or painted? If blued, then that particular MAK is banned everywhere except Alaska and Texas. Just to keep you outa trouble..."

I knew the third pin Chinese rifles were illegal, but it does not look like it to me from these photos.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm no AK guru.

But it is stamped or so it looks to me.

I think it should run fine with most mags.

I have no idea on ammo.

Nice looking rifle though. I was trying to pick one up on GB a few months ago without sucess. Enjoy it!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    You got a good deal on an unbanned MAK-90 and I believe CSI stands for China Sports Inc. I am sure Templar can answer most if not all of your questions and obviously correct any of my errors.

The guy is having some fun with you regarding the following statement as all Chinese MAK's were blued...

Someone posted there: "Is it blued or painted? If blued, then that particular MAK is banned everywhere except Alaska and Texas. Just to keep you outa trouble...

Enjoy your fine weapon....there a decent deals on GB every once in a while.

Cheers
    Last edited by buddyhoohaw; 09-01-08 at 10:07. Reason: Added content

Feedback Score

Thumbs up stamped

stamped-- nothing wrong with a stamped AKM. my best shooter is a stamped version my old type 56 milled will only shoot a best of 2.75moa. my much newer and cheaper romac can shot a bit tighter strangely enough.

Feedback Score
    MAK 90's are high quality AK's!
    Im Shihan of Shihan Gear.

Feedback Score
    The MAC 90 is a great AK. It was designed to take high cap mags and was built as a high cap gun unlike the Romanian rifles coming in these days which are converted single stack guns. It should feed pretty much all ammo with nor problems.

It may have been imported with a muzzle nut welded on which someone cut off and then cleaned up the muzzle and threads and reblued. You will need to make sure it has five US made parts as defined by the ATF. Technically, the rifle can only have 10 imported parts as the ATF defines that parts of the gun. Typically people replace the handguards (count as 1 part), buttstock, pistol grip, and fire control parts (3).

If you replace any US made parts, like the US made slant brake, you will need to maintain the number of US made parts.

The MAC 90 has a slanted gas block, the holes along the gas tube, and a thicker barrel like the classic AK. One unique thing on the Chinese AKs is the machining marks on the barrel. They are almost like mini-ribs.

Feedback Score
    One note the reciever is thicker than the standard 1mm so when buying furniture there may be some fitting involved.
    Im Shihan of Shihan Gear.

Feedback Score
    As other have said to 3 questions: yes, yes & yes

On pre-ban – just remember, foreign weapons are still affected by 1990 foreign “assault rifle” ban (thus the need for USA parts). In the AK world, the MAK90 is a post-ban (after 1990 law).

On factory-threaded barrel, I believe MAK90 came without threads muzzles. Many AK owners had them added back themselves. However, there are always except to the rule - I had a Chinese AK with a muzzle nut welded on over the threads.

On “USA Parts were installed to make it 922R Compliant” – on your post, it sounds like you have the required 7 parts: hammer, trigger, disconnector, pistol grip, USA slant brake, mag follower, mag floor plate. However, you may want to verify that. If you put on USA furniture (handguard & stock), you wouldn’t need to modify every magazine that you use with rifle.

I think that you will really enjoy your rifle!