Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Work In Progress: new F1/F4 guide for 41F submissions

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Hmmm...if I become valuable instead, does that mean I get out on payroll?

Just glad I can help, as we've all been there (even if some people seem to forget that time in their lives).
    Uh, you might have to check with @Shivan about that! LOL

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's in the registry (because of a previous 5320.20) with your current address, correct? That's what you'd use as the "From" location, and your future address as the "To".

It never has to match the F1/F4 again. It should always be the current address as the "From" unless you moved in-state and opted not to notify the ATF.
    Yes, that is correct. The original 5320.20 I did is my current address.

I was confused because I have other items (that dont require a 5320.20) on my Texas Trust (a permanent address I use) also. It is okay to have items in different states as long as a responsible person from my Trust has position of them right?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Yes, that is correct. The original 5320.20 I did is my current address.

I was confused because I have other items (that dont require a 5320.20) on my Texas Trust (a permanent address I use) also. It is okay to have items in different states as long as a responsible person from my Trust has position of them right?
    Yes.

The trust itself really doesn't need an address. Most have wording that includes an address for each person listed (to help with identification), but not an address for the trust itself.

And for the record, the items could even be stored in a state where you didn't have any trustees. For example, you moved to a state that didn't allow SBRs, but lived closed to a border shared with an SBR-friendly state. You could move them in the registry from your previous address to a safe deposit box, storage facility, locked container at a friend/relative's house, etc, in the neighboring state, and live in the new state. Cross the border to retrieve them and visit a range whenever you wanted to. (This isn't your situation, just tossing out a what-if scenario)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes.

The trust itself really doesn't need an address. Most have wording that includes an address for each person listed (to help with identification), but not an address for the trust itself.

And for the record, the items could even be stored in a state where you didn't have any trustees. For example, you moved to a state that didn't allow SBRs, but lived closed to a border shared with an SBR-friendly state. You could move them in the registry from your previous address to a safe deposit box, storage facility, locked container at a friend/relative's house, etc, in the neighboring state, and live in the new state. Cross the border to retrieve them and visit a range whenever you wanted to. (This isn't your situation, just tossing out a what-if scenario)
    Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    FWIW...

I've recommended more times than I can count that you can roll your own prints and take your own photos, thus making 41F not really that much of a hassle. But, I'd never actually done it myself...until this week. I'd filed a few post-41F forms, but they were all F4s and the dealer I use handles digital prints and photos (not using the SS kiosk). Four of the forms were filed in Jan, and I opted to do them as an individual.

About 1.5 months ago SiCo started the BOGO deal and I opted for a Maxim 9 on day one. After shopping around for a bit, I decided to start a new trust for a handful of items. The Maxim got filed that way, and the freebie will as well whenever it shows up. Then a week or so ago I thought about withdrawing at least some of the forms filed in Jan and refile using the trust...instead of paying another $200/ea. I have plenty of cans, so the additional wait wouldn't really matter. I called the ATF on 7/27 and wouldn't you know one was approved 7/21 and the other three on 7/24. So, I still had the option to cancel the stamps before the 4473 was done.

I chose to go ahead and grab two of the four, and void the other two. I've wasted $200 on dumber stuff through the years, so I decided to go ahead and transfer one of the two I grabbed from me as an individual to my new trust. The wait wouldn't matter since I would be in possession of them as both the transferor and transferee. Ordered a inkless fingerprint pad (~$7) and a card holder off Amazon on Tuesday, and the pad showed up Thursday. I ended up rolling prints Friday morning before the card holder even showed up. (Already had blank cards on hand). I think it might have taken longer to make sure I was filling out the cards correctly as it did to do prints for four cards.

I used the passport booth (free) app to take my photo, and then printed them out at home on regular paper. Used clear packing tape to put them on the forms. The forms fold a lot easier with plain paper photos than they do with photo paper. I'd grabbed a complete FD-258LE from my dealer just so I'd have a sample to compare mine to...and I definitely think mine are clearer than the ones he did...and I was 4/4 using his so far.

TL/DR: I say all that to say this:

Spend the $7 and get an ink pad. Spend a little more if you want the card holder. Take your own photos. If you don't have a printer, you can still take your own and get six photos on a single 4x6 print for <50¢ from your local Walmart, CVS, etc. Don't let the "hassle" of 41F prints and photos be the reason you don't get into the NFA game, or continue to play if you're already there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For a Form 1 submission, if I want to certify there are no changes to my previously submitted trust in lieu of sending another copy of the trust document, is there a specific ATF form for this? if so, can someone tell me the form number?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    For a Form 1 submission, if I want to certify there are no changes to my previously submitted trust in lieu of sending another copy of the trust document, is there a specific ATF form for this? if so, can someone tell me the form number?
    There is not. There should be (IMHO), but there’s not.

If you’re doing an EForm (which I hope you are), it’s probably just as easy to upload the trust each time.

(And you have to have an approval within the previous 24 months...that may be your situation, but you didn’t specify)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is not. There should be (IMHO), but there’s not.

If you’re doing an EForm (which I hope you are), it’s probably just as easy to upload the trust each time.

(And you have to have an approval within the previous 24 months...that may be your situation, but you didn’t specify)
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have been approved within last 24 months and I am using eform.

Actually, trying to use eform for the first time. But I'm having a problem uploading my photo. I keep getting a warning that says it is not in the correct format, but it is a JPEG. I'm using Chrome...is that the problem? Any hints are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I realize the answer to this question is buried somewhere in one of these stickies...but the sake of my tiring eyes I'm just going to ask.

With 41F, we still require to send fingerprints and passport photos whether we're doing individual or Trust - right? So assuming thats correct, theres really no difference in the process between filing individual or Trust?

Same exact process either way pretty much?

Feedback Score
    Blstr88, you're correct. The primary reason that people did a trust in the past was to get around a CLEO who would (illegally) not sign. That's gone with 41F as a signature is no longer required by the regulations. The only real reason to have a trust now would be to allow others to have access to you're NFA items when you are not present.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast