Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5" General Purpose Rifle (Now 11.5")

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You need to tear all that functional crap off of there and put a 1-8 scope and a KMR on it Beautiful build. It's wonderful to see a rifle driven by function and not form. I think that if everyone started off w/ an M4gery, most would look much more like yours in the end and less like some of the spacerifles that we see on here.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful rifle. Well put together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Not really a 600 yards rifle, but definitely well thought out.

I like the short barrel with the mid-length gas system, the long hand guard and the FSB.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post
    Not really a 600 yards rifle, but definitely well thought out.

I like the short barrel with the mid-length gas system, the long hand guard and the FSB.
    You're free to shoot with us anytime. All my buddies use 11.5" guns at 600 on a weekly basis. Sounds like you need more practice.

It is a carbine length gas system.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You're free to shoot with us anytime. All my buddies use 11.5" guns at 600 on a weekly basis. Sounds like you need more practice.

It is a carbine length gas system.
    In your original post you had said the FSB was at the mid-length position, so I got the impression it was a mid-length gas system.

As for the comment about the 600 yard capability, I meant no disrespect to your shooting ability, just the capability of that round in a short barrel rifle.

That ammo has been chronographed by users to have a MV of about 2,700 fps out of a 16" barrel and about 2,500 out of a 14.5" barrel. I'm not sure what your suppressor does for the velocity, so I had to make some assumptions about certain factors.

Since I don't know what your elevation is at your range, I figured it would be about 1,500 ft/ASL which would put the speed of sound at 1110 fps.

Using the Hornady Ballistics Calculator and Speer's published BC for that round of .27, I got the following.

At 2,700 fps the bullet will still be supersonic at 675 yards, but just barely with a velocity of 1116. A gusty 5-10 mph, 90° crosswind causes a 40" to 80" drift.

If you have a MV of 2,500 fps, you would go subsonic at about 625 yards. That same gusty wind would produce between 37" and 74" of drift.

Just not what I would call a 600 yard gun.

For prairie dogs and other varmints, I shoot a handloaded Hornady 53gr V-Max with a BC of .29 and a MV of 2,950 fps from a 16" barrel. That gives me a supersonic range of about 825 yards, but I like to stay above 200 ft/lbs of energy when hunting, so that limits me to about 650 yards with that gun. If I used a bolt action rifle with a 22" barrel, that round would be smoking along at well over 3,300 fps.

Regardless, you built a sweet rifle.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Ahh. That explains the disconnect. I've got a "true" 600 yard rifle. It's a 20" Krieger with all the bells and whistles. You can find it in the Precision Semi Auto forum, although I think a lot of the pics are gone. That thing will no shit bust clay pigeons at 600 yards using 77gr TMK handloads.

When I say 600 yards with this rifle, I mean shooting an IPSC sized steel plate most of the time, not prairie dogs or anything smaller than a big ass block of steel. This 12.5" is capable in the sense that it is possible, but it's still absolutely a challenge and you're not going to go 10 for 10 with 64gr Gold Dots. I used to have a free floated 12.5" BCM SS410 that I would use Hornady Superformance ammo at 565 and go 20/20 on an IPSC and that was with a gritty milspec trigger and 4x ACOG as well (also searchable on M4C from >4yrs ago)

I'll be out there next week and get some pics and results of how it does at 600. If it isn't windy, I think it'll do well. I think lots of people underestimate the potential for rifles to shoot far. It's not a skill thing. I've sat chicks down with an SBR who have no firearm experience whatsoever and even they can be walked onto steel at 600 yards given enough ammo

ETA: A kino build has the front sight at the midlength position but uses a pinned low profile gas block at the carbine length position.

Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-14-16 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    Awesome build man! Great write-up, and very informative.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

(Not) A Basic KISS Build

I always wondered by BCM took the extra time to pin the gb on the kinos when they don't pin anything else other than the mk12s.

Also curious how yours runs suppressed. I've not had a chance to swap the md on mine to attach anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    I always wondered by BCM took the extra time to pin the gb on the kinos when they don't pin anything else other than the mk12s.

Also curious how yours runs suppressed. I've not had a chance to swap the md on mine to attach anything.
    I believe it is because Kino Davis, the designer/inventor of the Kino config, specifically called for it in his specs.

Ran great suppressed. As stated I am using an A5H2 buffer and had no issues, however I was using a 30cal can for what that is worth. My 5.56 can is being repaired.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

(Not) A Basic KISS Build

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have 30 cal right now while 556 is in jail anyway, so that works.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jstalford; 07-14-16 at 14:18.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast