Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Defense Manufacturing/Faxon 14.5 Mid-Length Build

Feedback Score

American Defense Manufacturing/Faxon 14.5 Mid-Length Build

So, I've been away on work in California for the last few months and during my downtime I found myself getting the itch to build another 14.5 Mid-Length. The itch got worse after I started looking into the UIC Carbines from American Defense Manufacturing. Aesthetically, I thought they were beautiful rifles, functionally I thought having a fully ambi lower would be nice as well.

Because I had a a good amount of parts on hand already, I decided to do my own build off the ADM receiver set as opposed to purchasing a complete rifle. Also, with wanting to start taking some classes in the near future, I built this rifle with that consideration in mind. Flash hider instead of a brake as not to be obnoxious to anyone next to me, pinned to 16.1 so I can travel to my neighboring states without having to worry about an SBR. That being said, As soon as I found the receiver set in stock, I pulled the trigger and was off to get the rest of the parts I'd need to put this baby together once I got back from CA.

Also, one of the ADM carbines I saw had an OD green cerekote, so on this one I decided to try my hand with a rattle can as I didn't want to wait for that or spend the $$$ at this time. I used Aluma Hyde II for the paint. I think it turned out pretty good. Let me know what you think!

Full parts list as follows:

Lower:
    ADM Billet Ambi Lower Receiver
    Geiselle SSA-E
    Magpul SL Stock
    BCM Intermediate Length Buffer Tube
    Vltor A2 (or A3 if I'm shooting high pressure ammo).
    JP Tuned Rifle Spring (gets rid of the "twang" sound from the stock spring).
    BCM Mod 2 Grip (I switched out all my MOE grips to these. The ergonomics are so much better to me).
    BCM QD Endplate
    Seekins 60 degree ambi safety

Upper:
    ADM Billet Upper Receiver
    ADM 13.5" Mlok Rail
    Faxon 14.5" Middy Gov't Profile Barrel
    Faxon Full Auto BCG
    Geissele Super Gas Block
    SilencerCo ASR Flash Hider (Specwar 556k in jail, purchased in May, only a few months to go).
    BCM Mod4 Charging Handle
    Troy BUIS
    Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot on ADM 1/3 co-witness mount (been a great optic so far, I have about 5k rounds on it).
    Streamlight RailMount 1 Weapon Light on Arisaka offset mount.
    Magpul Mlok handstop.

Now that I have some pretty pictures, it's time to get it out to the range and make sure it runs like a champ. Thanks for looking!

[IMG]

Last edited by msnyder0609; 11-03-16 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a good looking build! I must be behind the times, I had no idea ADM was even making receivers. Where have I been?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like a nice build! I'd love to see what it looks like but the pics aren't working at the moment. I'll check back later.......
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

FaxonNathan Guest
    Good barrel choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Sounds like a nice build! I'd love to see what it looks like but the pics aren't working at the moment. I'll check back later.......
    (Photobucket back up and running)

Went to the range to day to see how the rifle ran. I had a couple mag seating issues the first few rounds. I thought at first it was short stroking, but I found this lower requires a little more force to properly seat the mag. At least it did the first 20 rounds. I didn't have any issues after that. Maybe it needed a little breaking in.

I brought along a Vltor A2 & A3 buffer. The A3 was ever-so-slightly softer shooting, but it was a little too much past the limits of reliability as I had 2 short strokes while shooting some Brown Bear. That said the A2 will stay in this gun as I shoot steel case 50% of the time. After putting in the A2 there were no other hiccups in 500 rounds. 2/3 of which was Wolf Gold, the rest Brown Bear.

I can't wait to get it back out to the range. I really like this gun. It handles great and I think it'll do very well in the purposes I built it for. I really like being able to lock the bolt back with my right index finger (like a bad lever). I don't find myself releasing the bolt with my index finger, for that I think the oversized bolt release was a nice tough. Also, I am forever sold on the more vertical grip angle of the BCM pistol grip. To me it just feels way better.
    Last edited by msnyder0609; 11-05-16 at 03:16.

Feedback Score
    Stellar looking rifle.

Feedback Score
    A little update on this rifle: Also, I want to give a shout out to ADM's customer service. The original upper receiver i'd gotten proved to be a bit out of spec. The barrel ext was extremely loose. So after having the rifle put together for a few months, I contacted them to see what could be done. They had me ship off the upper receiver, after they inspected they determined it was out of spec and they promptly sent me off a new upper with a much tighter barrel ext. Thank you to them for the help.

Since the new upper was black, I went ahead and stripped off the AlumaHyde II for shits and giggles. (This actually proved pretty easy using Strip-X by Klean Strip). I moved the Primary Arms Advanced Red Dot to another rifle and put the Holosun HS503G w/ ACSS reticle on the ADM. Went with a DD fixed front sight as well. Also added some polymer Rail Scales.

IMG_3708.jpg
    http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...psmwlwxmxb.jpg (click here for full res pics that aren't sideways, file too big to post direct).
    Last edited by msnyder0609; 12-27-16 at 15:25.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Ah, I remember speaking with you on the barrel if memory serves me correctly.

Glad it all got resolved and GREAT looking boomstick!

Feedback Score
    Hey, Nathan. Yep, that was me. I owe Faxon a big thank you as well! I had a small issue with a bolt and Nathan promptly took care of it issue by sending out a whole new bolt. Much appreciated!

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    Hey, Nathan. Yep, that was me. I owe Faxon a big thank you as well! I had a small issue with a bolt and Nathan promptly took care of it issue by sending out a whole new bolt. Much appreciated!
    Thrilled we could help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast