Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 12.5" General Purpose Rifle (Now 11.5")

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Unfortunately I DID read the entire thread.......not much about your Kino......

I have a UBR on one of my 12.5s that I shoot suppressed a lot and it helps with the balance.

As for the breaks being loud, I have a AAC Blastout and it helps on the two that have breaks when they don't have cans on them.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Bla...51T_p_709.html
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Looks like a well thought out piece. I'm digging the rail that goes out by the FSB.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Very sharp build, concise and functional. I have only read about kino's and dissapators, never used one. I see that changing very soon.

Feedback Score
    I have had almost the exact same configuration in mind whenever I retire into a free state. The only differences might be standard plastic handguards instead of a rail, and a TA-33.

Awesome work!
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    PB&Jelly of this build. Nicely done!

Feedback Score
    Reading this thread I got the impression you thought the kino was the cats meow. Just noticed you sold the barrel in EE and went 11.5. What gives euro? Find a deal breaker in this set up ? Just curious. Looking at doing a kino and if I had noticed earlier I'd have snagged the barrel myself.

I sometimes change my mind more regularly than I change my underwear, so I'm curious as to your reasoning. Weight?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Reading this thread I got the impression you thought the kino was the cats meow. Just noticed you sold the barrel in EE and went 11.5. What gives euro? Find a deal breaker in this set up ? Just curious. Looking at doing a kino and if I had noticed earlier I'd have snagged the barrel myself.

I sometimes change my mind more regularly than I change my underwear, so I'm curious as to your reasoning. Weight?
    I updated the OP with my reasoning behind this.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    1/1/2017 Update
    Why I swapped out the ACOG for the T1:

See this thread on shooting in the rain: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-case-for-KISS

The ACOG is a robust optic. I am a huge fan of them, but I can run a T1 much better. Good enough in any realistic scenario that the magnification of an ACOG (it's only benefit over a T1) does not outweigh its negatives. It's heavy, the eye relief isn't very good which coupled with suppressed use equals an eye that burns frequently, and the low light performance ranges from mediocre to absolutely poor if shooting from darkness into a lighted area. The T1 has none of these issues. While my cheekweld is pretty similar with the T1, the eyebox isn't so particular and you can work around it a bit better. I now run my ACOG on a 10.5" LMT as a beater gun for the woods.

Using the T1 led to the 11.5" swap. With the weight savings of the T1 and the lack of 4x mag I felt there was no downside to go a bit shorter and lighter on the rifle as well. It was just added weight, and having a PEQ and light so much further far out on the weapon made it pretty cumbersome even with the suppressor off. With the suppressor on it was lethargic to get on target at best. The 11.5" and carbine length rail coupled with the T1 swap made a huge difference. It went from basically feeling like a 16" Carbine to an SBR. The rail is 2" shorter, the barrel is 1" shorter, and now the accessories are about 2.5" closer to the balance point of the rifle. I didn't bother weighing anything, but it is a much handier rifle now and faster to get on target.

Optic: For a while I thought this do-all rifle formula started with an Aimpoint T1. It's light, durable, reliable, and retains zero. While it absolutely excels in the role of a <300m carbine, much of my training was centered around the ACOG and frankly, I just enjoy shooting out to 600 yards too much. This is absolutely possible with a T1 but you're esentially holding up in the air just guessing where your rounds will go. Even with a magnifier you don't get any better at long range because you have no way to make accurate holds. Given my desire to shoot well further out, I sacrificed some close-up speed for more all-round capability and got a TA31RCOM4 ACOG in a GDI QD mount. While a T1 is certainly faster at <25 yards, the ACOG isn't terrible.
    Really interesting thoughts on the ACOG vs an Aimpoint. I've been debating between an ACOG and an Aimpoint for an 11.5" build I'm working on, and I can see how it would be really easy to turn the gun into "mini-recce," negating some of the advantages of an SBR. Regarding the ACOG as a "woods gun" or "ranch rifle" type optic, have you found anything else you like better for that application?
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    Thank god guys like Eurodriver spend beaucoup money on toys like these so that guys like me can come along and swoop all the knowledge and experience without having to pony up the dollars up front.

Great looking rifle. Great thread.

My next project is to build an SBR, and this profile (and similar/nearly identical parts list) is exactly what I am looking at.

Reminds me of the Evolution of a Carbine thread that was running for a while there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456