Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 inch 300 Blackout Barrels?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    no and no. that's the whole point of 300 blackout - no gas adjustments.
    Please elaborate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Please elaborate.
    No need at all on 300blk for adjustable gas. Its hard if not impossible to over gas a 300blk gun. The gas ports are already getting up there in size(093-095 for 9" pistol gas, and larger for shorter barrels, .100-.110). you could run a .125 gas port and be ever so slightly over gassed, but the gun would still likely function in all aspects. Its been said by some very smart people that a carbine gas 300blk gun is impossible to over gas and you could run a .125 gas port and the gun would run great.

Pressures due to the .30 bore drop off VERY fast in the 300blk so large gas ports are not really a huge issue. The biggest issue we see is to small of gas ports due to "manufacturers"(and I use that term loosely) specing, what I believe to be, 5.56 gas port sizing on a 300blk barrel, but due to the very quick pressure drop, you dont get enough gas.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    No need at all on 300blk for adjustable gas. Its hard if not impossible to over gas a 300blk gun. The gas ports are already getting up there in size(093-095 for 9" pistol gas, and larger for shorter barrels, .100-.110). you could run a .125 gas port and be ever so slightly over gassed, but the gun would still likely function in all aspects. Its been said by some very smart people that a carbine gas 300blk gun is impossible to over gas and you could run a .125 gas port and the gun would run great.

Pressures due to the .30 bore drop off VERY fast in the 300blk so large gas ports are not really a huge issue. The biggest issue we see is to small of gas ports due to "manufacturers"(and I use that term loosely) specing, what I believe to be, 5.56 gas port sizing on a 300blk barrel, but due to the very quick pressure drop, you dont get enough gas.
    Roger that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post

I would tend to hesitate to agree with the first paragraph, you could easily exceed operational rates with an approach that broad. The cartridge does offer a wide or wider span of operation for a given port compared to 5.56. That does not mean that all four functions would end up equal for a wide selection of gas port sizing.
    That doesn't mean that a specific port cannot work well or better than others. My personal preference may include a dedicated size gas port with mass options available to better suit the end use.
    For an example, I may prefer a less than largest dedicated port that suits an area of operation with an H1 for subs without a can, and the H3 with a can for supers suppressed.
    I may look into a combination that's sole focus is for supersonics with a can for the H2, subs without a can might only reliable run with a 3.0 ounce buffer.
    I may look into a combination for certain supers without a can for the H2, they may not cycle with subs even with a 3.0 ounce buffer.
    I do like the possible offerings with their possibilities for uses. etc..
    A broad span of possible port sizes does not mean that any certain size is ideal for all or any for this. An ideal span depends on intended use and use with that intended span with possible easy mass options for variables.

Feedback Score
    I have the AAC 9", and it has run evrything I've thrown in it suppressed and not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12