Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a new handgun

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Recommend a new handgun

I have a G19, P226, and Ruger MKIII. Want to pick up a new handgun under around $600. I was thinking about a 17 because I already have a few G17 mags. Any other suggestions?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What's the intended use? Home defense? Range toy?

With just that amount of info sure, a 17 makes sense. But it's impossible to say without knowing what you want to do with it.

Feedback Score
    You already have three nice guns there. Tell us more about what you are looking for? Concealability (maybe not with a 17…), shootablility, fun, competition, serious defensive shooting classes, etc… What do you want to do with it?

My top two pistol choices are Glocks (Whatever size and caliber suits your needs. I favor the 19.) and the Sig 226.

1911s have the best trigger ever made for a hand gun, but I don't care for the weight, all the bells and whistles, or the ergonomics. They don't "point" well for me.

S&W makes some decent models, and so does Walther.

I don't care for any of the Springfield Armory pistols mainly because the trigger reset is wayyyyy too long, but maybe they have an aftermarket fix for that now. Try that out for yourself at a LGS. See if you agree.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry should have specified intended use. I will be using it for home defense and shooting at the range so probably a full size handgun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Based on that extra info and your price limit, I'd concur with the Glock 17 recommendations. You're already familiar with the platform, you have some magazines, and it can sort of serve as a backup for your 19.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with the 17 as well. Picked up my first 17 last weekend and love it. So much so that I traded my VP9 for a 19 so I can have the same "feel" when I use the 19 to carry. Can't beat the mag capacity of a 17 either.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You could also look at The Turkish Canik and Sarsilmaz pistols. They're in the $350 range in many places and seem to be getting rave reviews.

Feedback Score
    Sig P320 all the way!
    I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Go out of the norm and get a CZ P09. It's the softest shooting 9mm I have.

It beats out my M&P, CZ Shadow Custom, and CZ P01.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    IMO the G17 would be an excellent choice. It's what I plan to buy for my next pistol as well.
    Last edited by SteveL; 12-11-16 at 18:19.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast