Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Post Concussion Syndrome

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Update: I can shoot again. After little over 4 mo.s I feel more or less like myself again. Looking back on this thread , I can tell I was a tad "off". Short term memory good. Still have insomnia but had that anyways. I feel waaay more like a human being instead of like Bub the Zombie.

Cliche, but it really does take time. The words of encouragement and PMs by other M4Cers who had it like I did were very helpful and uplifting. Morale is pretty important when you feel retarded and slow. Never take your good health or health of mind for granted.

I dont want to go into detail but what happened was not really avoidable. Stuff happens. Some days it is simply your day in the cracker barrel. I'm burly and not yet 40 so that was on my side.

So to anyone else who finds this thread:

Keep a PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)

Don't shy away help/support from trusted friends and family. You literalky aren't at full capacity and having someone else double check you can help put your mind at ease.

Time is your friend. Dont rush. You are not Superman nor John Wayne. Also no caffeine.

As poor and hopeless as you may feel, it will end. You may just want to sit down and cry or you may just be blunt and detached and feel bad later. It happens, no shame in it. You may get a severe decrease/cessation in libido or interest in things you enjoyed You are just a human being. Anyone who would look down on that is probably not worth your time.

It's cumulative. Enough times and TBI will happen. Be as careful as you can. The unavoidable is unavoidable, but everything else is prevented with precaution.

Just my experiences, hope it helps others.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I had 2, both when I was a teenager, now 72. One playing football in high school and one in an auto accident. The auto accident also resulted in a skull fracture and some minor brain damage. I lost some sense of touch in my left hand. I have difficulty identifying objects in my pocket by feel, can not button the right cuff of a shirt without looking at what I am doing. I have to be extremely careful shooting with my left hand because of it. I can't say there have been any mental effects from it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good friend, I'm very happy that you have got past this malady. Success required adhering to a strict regimen. Certainly nothing was easy about it. The thread prompted me to study the topic. I have good layman knowledge of medical issues and a background in biology. I learned that support from family and friends is essential because concussion can cause various emotional difficulties like depression and anxiety which in themselves can bring about hopelessness and despair. Unfortunately, for many suicide becomes a choice. I'm now convinced that a high incidence of concussions has been a factor in veteran suicides. I can't cite a reference to support this statement but can cite one that addresses suicide and concussions in general.

suicide.org/concussions-can-lead-to-suicide.html
    Last edited by williejc; 10-22-16 at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Good friend, I'm very happy that you have got past this malady. Success required adhering to a strict regimen. Certainly nothing was easy about it. The thread prompted me to study the topic. I have good layman knowledge of medical issues and a background in biology. I learned that support from family and friends is essential because concussion can cause various emotional difficulties like depression and anxiety which in themselves can bring about hopelessness and despair. Unfortunately, for many suicide becomes a choice. I'm now convinced that a high incidence of concussions has been a factor in veteran suicides. I can't cite a reference to support this statement but can cite one that addresses suicide and concussions in general.

suicide.org/concussions-can-lead-to-suicide.html
    I'm very concerned of the effects of concussive blasts, that's something that isn't always acknowledged.
    You didn't have to be in the vehicle that was hit, to be in the blast wave. I would imagine there are more than a few guys walking around diagnosed with depression who actually suffered TBI.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree. There's depression and then there's legit misfires from concussion.

I think it's easier for people to say "Aw you just arent mentally tough. Here's some pills" than actually approach it as a physically issue.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I can tell I was a tad "off".
    That feeling after a concussion SUCKS! Took months for this to go away after last one.

Happy for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234