Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 Semi-auto for a homestead

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Ruger Gunsite Scout. There are a few variations of it to choose from as well as magazine sizes. Can also get a XS rail with ghost ring for full top rail for full range of optics choices.
    He is not looking for a bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    He is not looking for a bolt gun.
    I'm confused, is what I quoted from your OP incorrect? I've read nothing that precludes a bolt action.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I'm confused, is what I quoted from your OP incorrect? I've read nothing that precludes a bolt action.
    "I asked him about a 308 bolt rig and he said he was not opposed to the idea but if he was ever in an end of world situation where he would have to defend the homestead with limited help he would want a Semi-auto."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Why not an M1A Scout? 18" barrel handier than the standard 22", not too crazy expensive, accurate enough, reliable, can easily mount a scope or a red dot, light recoil for a .308. What's not to like?
    IMHO, nothing other than cheek weld with optics and a standard stock.

Keith

Feedback Score
    Here's my 2 cents.

Windham Weaponry R18FSFST-308. I only have a Burris XTR1-4 on top of it but can easily ring steel at 466 yds with cheap PPU 145 gr ball. MFG says 1 MOA with appropriate ammo. I got this as a light-ish battle rifle for distances out to 500 yds or so.

For longer range / precision I have a POF 308 (shot to 840 yds so far) and Mod 70 Hvy bbl varmint in .308, both with Vortex glass. All three are worth every penny.

Mero

Feedback Score
    SCAR.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    "I asked him about a 308 bolt rig and he said he was not opposed to the idea but if he was ever in an end of world situation where he would have to defend the homestead with limited help he would want a Semi-auto."
    See bolded bit, for the 4th time...
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-06-16 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two SCAR 17s. Got my first one about five years ago. All the concerns about cost, ammo weight/cost, parts availability, Etc., are true to a certain extent, BUT;

1. The SCAR 17 using its magazines is the most reliable firearm in my collection except maybe the SCAR 16.

2. It is very light weight. Keep it light, don't add anything you don't absolutely need. Keep the glass weight down. One of my 17s has a NF 2.5-10 the other a T2 with optional Aimpoint 3X.

3. I've ordered some spare parts, but frankly I don't see needing any except for the consumables like the piston rings and maybe a piston some day. Not at all like my ARs in that regard.

4. The SCAR 17 likes 168gr match ammo best. It is a 1moa or less rifle with 168gr factory ammo like FGMM at a dollar a round. Practice ammo can be purchased (M80) for 50 cents a round or less (not steel case) Vs. 30 cents a round for 5.56. Yes, .308 ammo is heavy, you can run and gun easily with the SCAR 17, but I would not do it too far away from a source of ammo.

The SCAR 17 would be ideal for defending a homestead, it would be excellent as a DMR style rifle and is light enough to patrol with.

JMHO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
    I have shot several LaRue OBRs and liked them a lot. As far as I know they have a good rep for reliability. Price is decent, but the issue is availability.

I have not shot a KAC SR25, but their rep is very solid for reliability and build quality.

I have a 2 Aero M5E1 rifles, both home rolled and they do what I want them to do. I have a18" and 14" (pinned to 16" with a YHM QD mount). Both are easy to shoot, and the pinned 16" has a manageable amount of recoil. I am a big guy though so recoil is usually not an issue.

Any one of the ones you listed would be good, but I would lean toward LaRue or the KAC offerings.
    I think the SCAR 17 is actually a bargain over some of these expensive .308s like the KAC, LMT MWS, HK MR762, LWRCI REPR, DD, Etc. The SCAR 17 is light very, well vetted, accurate, and reliable. Why screw around?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    I think the SCAR 17 is actually a bargain over some of these expensive .308s like the KAC, LMT MWS, HK MR762, LWRCI REPR, DD, Etc. The SCAR 17 is light very, well vetted, accurate, and reliable. Why screw around?
    Hmmm....DD5V1 costs less than a SCAR 17S. LMT MWS is about the same price. KAC/HK cost quite a bit more. Hard to claim the SCAR is vetted as an argument, considering KAC, HK, LMT are all used by various militaries around the world.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast