Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

I'm a 1911 guy by nature but am getting the itch for a striker fired gun again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of opinions. The options would be the HK VP9, Glock 17, M&P9, or Sig P320.

How would you rank the guns 1-4 in the categories of accuracy and reliability?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

Glock has been tested the most and I'd say is easily number one. I'd put the VP9 as second. It has some stuff that a lot of people really like and H&K is known for accurate and reliable pistols, but it's a newer platform so not as large of a sample size there. M&P after that. Their newer ones are decent, but they did have some concerning issues a few years ago and even their new triggers are meh. No experience with the Sig so I can't comment on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

Which 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
    I'm a 1911 guy by nature but am getting the itch for a striker fired gun again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of opinions. The options would be the HK VP9, Glock 17, M&P9, or Sig P320.

How would you rank the guns 1-4 in the categories of accuracy and reliability?
    Best advice is to rent, or borrow all of the pistols listed and then make an informed decision.

Regarding reliability and accuracy, the Glock 17 is by far the most proven of the four.

As for accuracy, if the pistol is for self-defense or duty use then any of the models listed would suffice.

For target shooting, the HK would likely be the most accurate. That said several Glock model pistols exhibit almost match grade accuracy.

Choosing a pistol is a very personal decision which may vary due to hand size, style of grip, grip angle of pistol, etc.

What would I choose? The Glock or VP9.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    Best advice is to rent, or borrow all of the pistols listed and then make an informed decision.
    That right there.

My choice is the P320 but that's because I can't stand the feel of a Glock. If I could, I would probably be swimming in the things. Nobody can tell you what will work best for you though....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree that you should try to rent as many of the aforementioned pistols as you can and then decide.
    Those mentioned are all solid pistols.
    That said I've been carrying a G19 and G26 daily for 8yrs now. My carry G19 gen4 just hit the 17,000 round mark.
    I recently shot and then bought from a friend a Steyr M9A1. To say I love this gun would be an understatement.
    I have shot extensively all of the guns mentioned and others. This is the first gun that I shoot better than my Glock and would carry aside from Glock.
    Virtually no adjustment to make switching between the two, more accurate than the Glock, in fact one of the most accurate out of the box guns I have shot. Super comfortable. You get the picture.

Feedback Score
    I am a big Steyr fan as well. The aftermarket is limited to be sure, but they really need nothing, other than a good holster. Holsters are easy to have made. I would say Glock, but to me, the Steyr is a better, enhanced version of a Glock. Big bonus is they are cheap.

Feedback Score
    Out of the box: VP9, PPQ, P320 (order reflects my preference)

Unlimited budget on mods and upgrades: Glock, S&W M&P

Most underrated polymer striker fired pistol: Steyr M9A1/L9A1
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If I was starting from scratch I'd go glock. Period, no bs. For me it's simple logistics. Parts are cheap and it's even simpler to work on the gun itself. Same thing with mags.

P320 would be a close second. Great trigger and superior ergos. It just feels good to shoot. Downside parts availability is not as good as glock and mags are pricey.

M&P is next. The full size 9 I had was the most natural pointing pistol I've owned. With just a poly AEK trigger in it trigger pull was respectable. Accuracy sucked however, as wake alluded too. The newer ones are supposed to be markedly improved but the triggers are still meh. A little work and they can be good though.

Last, vp9. Solid gun and Hood trigger. Needs nothing out of the box really. Parts and mag costs are a bit of a downer. Enough so that I didn't see it as a platform worthwhile of investment. I love the HK mag release but I've spent to many years using a standard mag release that I didn't trust myself to manipulate it under stress.

I see it this way too. Your handgun is a secondary system next to your rifle. As such I see it as simpler the better. Glocks are simple and cheap and with that simicity there is increased reliability IMO.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-16-16 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, of the 4 it would be which one fit your hand better and how much modularity and safety comfort level do you want. Plus what will be the primary purpose for the gun, carry gun, competition, or range toy. Example being, the Sig 320 is new and relatively unproven compared to the G17, but does offer a variety of options as far as frame/grip replacement. The 320's trigger is uncomfortable from a safety standpoint for some people.

The M&P line does offer a manual safety model that is somewhat similar to a 1911 in function. But most here don't like the manual safety models. Plus a lot of people here buy an M&P and end up putting a lot of APEX parts in the guns. There are a bunch of threads here on that subject. The VP9 is another fine weapon. Sights, holsters ect will not be as plentiful as the G17. I've owned H&K pistols, they're nice guns. I ended up carrying and shooting Glocks and CZs because the H&K didn't do anything the others wouldn't do.

For me it would be Glock, M&P, H&K, then Sig.

Feedback Score
    Starting from scratch and only judging what you get out of the box I'd have to rank them: VP9, P320, G17, M&P9.

We currently have a VP9 and P320 at my house. Of the two I strongly prefer the VP9. For me it fits my hands better, front sight tracks easier in rapid fire, a little more accurate so far, and it is more nicely made. The cost of magazines between the two is pretty much a wash. The P320 wins on versatility due to the modular design. For what you get out of the box though, the HK wins on attention to detail.

The G17 is a fine pistol, but given equal exposure to both the G17 and VP9, I shoot the VP9 better and the P320 about the same as a G17. The Glock out of the box will need different sights immediately adding to start up cost. On the plus side accessories are plentiful and cheap. I would also do some upgrades to the trigger, but that is a personal choice, current Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks have decent triggers just heavier than I like.

The M&P9 has a trigger that is atrocious out of the box, and the history of accuracy problems leaves me very reluctant to bother with one.

I essentially started from scratch on striker fired pistols within the last few weeks, up to this point I've only owned hammer fired pistols. Looking at it objectively with no investment in any of the platforms, or even the 9×19 Luger, I picked what worked best for me, and that is the VP9. My wife likes her P320 so she got that. I could have been happy with a G17 too, but the VP9 is the better pistol for me out of the box and the aftermarket is catching up. Frankly the way my VP9 shoots I'm reluctant to even change the sights out, the stock sights are perfectly regulated and hit to the top of the front sight out to 50 yards with 124gr ammo.

Now if you want to tinker and throw aftermarket parts at the pistol then: G17, M&P9, VP9, P320.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast