Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Could any of you comment on the Steyr M9A1? I'm in AL and they are all over around here.
    Outstanding ergonomics, great trigger, very accurate shooter. Factory sights are trapezoidal which is kinda weird, definitely something to check out. Aftermarket replacements are available.

Mags available. Not a lot of holsters. Haven't needed parts but they're somewhat available it seems. And Steyr apparently has fantastic CS.

I like mine a lot and would have no concerns carrying it daily.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I've owned:

Glock: 17, 19, 26
    SW: Shield
    XD9
    VP9

The only ones I still own are the VP9 and Shield. I carry a 1911 for work and the only sims guns we have that fit my holster are Glocks. I hate how they feel in my hand, it doesn't come to a natural point of aim for me. M&P's are our issued duty guns, not many like them and I sure dont. I kept the Shield due only to it's size.

In all honesty, the guys who carry XDM's have NOTHING bad to say about them and they shoot them well. I always found that interesting. For me, the VP9 is king though, and I pray a VP45 comes to the market someday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    In all honesty, the guys who carry XDM's have NOTHING bad to say about them and they shoot them well. I always found that interesting.
    Me too. I've seen an XD45 stop cycling fully after being shot suppressed. Some people online said it was an issue with the magazine design them needed to be super clean. Besides that I've seen people do well with XDMs in classes locally. These aren't high round count guns but get shot more than most. I've never met anyone who has taken one into tens of thousands of rounds like I have Glock, M&Ps and 1911s. I did have an instructor who shot and carried one but he had just started using it and only had about 5k through it.
    Owner of Harry's Holsters
    www.HarrysHolsters.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Could any of you comment on the Steyr M9A1? I'm in AL and they are all over around here.
    I had an M40-A1 and it was a great little pistol. Very underrated, IMO. Bought it in 2007 for $390 NIB. Put 4,300 rounds through it before selling it to fund a Glock 23... which I ended up hating and selling too. Of those 4300 rounds the gun had two failures, and those were 1500+ without cleaning or lube.

Not a bad pistol at all.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The only thing I don't like about the Steyr pistols is the same thing I don't like about CZs: The slide-in-frame makes the amount of surface area you can grasp of the slide to perform manipulations is... not what I'd want.

My rankings:

1- VP9. You can buy a gun with a SKU ending in LE and you get tritium night sights, a good ledge on the rear sight for one-handed manipulations, and three magazines. H&K magazines are built to last and are easily found at $37 or less. More expensive than Glock magazines, less expensive than Wilson Combat magazines - but much closer to the latter in quality. All you need is the LE SKU'd pistol, two more magazines, a holster, and a bunch of ammo. The trigger is excellent, the barrels are excellent, ergonomics are excellent. Only serious dings are that the slide lock/stop/release is sort of awkwardly sized and located, so it's relatively easy to accidentally ride (causing the pistol to fail to lock open) while also being somewhat difficult to manipulate and normal H&K sight tools (like the MGW H&K sight pusher) don't work or don't work well with the pistol. According to Larry Vickers, the most accurate 9mm handgun he owns is a VP9 that has had a trigger job on it.

2- Glock 17. Super easy to work on, parts are cheap and fairly readily available, magazines are cheap and readily available, and there are now a couple of decent aftermarket options for magazines as well. But the sights suck and practically need to be immediately replaced, the attachment method for the front sight is stupid, the barrels are everywhere from meh to decent, ejection patterns can be erratic and vary from water sprinkler to annoying to dangerous (hot brass flying back into your eyes in a life-and-death situation wouldn't be much fun), and the trigger is what it is. Sights, Vickers slide lock, Vickers magazine release (for Gen3 guns), and a grip plug and you're practically spending the same as you would on a VP9 - and you're still not going to have as good a trigger as the VP9 and you're still not going to have as accurate a pistol as the VP9 (although individual skill may dictate that this will be a wash).

3- M&P9. The triggers keep getting better, but they're only now at the point where they're (maybe) as good as a Glock's. M&Ps in 9mm also have a history of crummy accuracy, which also appears to be (mostly) solved (about as solved as Glock's BTF). And then there are the magazines - M&P factory magazines have a long history of being hard to get a hold of and tend to run about the same price as H&K factory magazines. Now, it does appear that Mec-Gar is making M&P magazines that run about as much as Glock magazines do, and Mec-Gar has a good track record with SiG, Beretta, and Hi-Power magazines, but I haven't heard anything about their M&P magazines. And finally, M&Ps use the rear sight to retain the firing pin safety - which IMO is probably about as dumb as holding your front sight in place with just a screw. If you have to have a thumb safety on your polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol, though, the M&P is the way to go.

Not ranked: SiG P320. Insufficient data: I've never owned or shot one and don't know any high-round-count shooters who do.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 07-17-16 at 13:42.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I don't see a lot of positives to the VP9 other than the trigger which is still not as good as the PPQ or P320 to me, the front serrations versus a Glock that only has the so so rear ones, and the replaceable back strap and side panels. I despise the paddle release, I dislike that the gun is so large and yet has the barrel length and mag capacity of a Glock 19, I despise the slide release, and I also dislike the slide wings. Arguing that the VP9 mags are somehow superior makes no sense to me either- they are both expensive and relatively low capacity, nor do they offer any real advantage over say a Glock magazine or any mecgar magazine.

The P320 is pretty nice but it is a SIG and they continually are making rolling changes that are not backwards compatible with older versions such as the new slide release and grip frames.

I don't find any redeeming factors in the M&Ps other than the shield and m&p 9c and these are primarily because they have a niche for size and are cheap.

Glocks are well, Glocks. There is a lot of aftermarket but it should be obvious that the guns are far from perfect when people can make a living off of modding them with stippling, removing frame material, slide milling, or just dropping in parts.

Feedback Score
    VP9 magazines are really not that expensive if you look around. In my opinion the HK mags are better quality than the Mec Gar mags for my SIG's. I really like the HK follower in the P30/VP9 magazines, yes it is large and limits capacity a bit but it will not tilt and it keeps the magazine springs a little more relaxed for theoretically better longevity. Plus you can seat a fully loaded magazine with the slide forward, something Glocks don't do well with.

The other controls are very much personal preference, they work for me but others may gate them. I was afraid I would ride the slide release lever with the VP9 but haven't had an issue yet.

Feedback Score
    I'm basically a 1911 guy since the late 70's. I can't stand Glocks, they don't fit or point well for me. Glocks are 100% reliable, very accurate and dead simple to issue to non-gun people. They are the Barbie pistol that you can mod to your heart's content. I have shot various models on several occasions but they're not for me.

The agency I work for issues the XD45 with great success, but you didn't ask about SA.

The M&P feels like an updated Sigma to me and I've lost faith in S&W.

No experience with the SIG P320.

I purchased a VP9 three weeks ago. I got a great deal on a non-LEO version. After @300 rounds I feel that I'm nearly as fast as I am with my best 1911 in a smaller lighter gun. I like the paddle magazine release, but I'm used to my wife's P99c. I shoot it equally well with either hand, unusual for me. Accuracy is better for me than any other Tactical Tupperware I've shot in the past. I don't find myself adjusting when I come up on target like I do with a Glock. So far it's digested Hornady XTP +P, Federal HST +P, Winchester 127gr +P+ and WWB ball without a problem.

YMMV
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 07-17-16 at 15:53. Reason: More thoughts

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Glock, Walther, and VP9.

The others are kinda meh

I was almost about to get a P320 but.....why bother? It does nothing my Glock doesn't do.

I had a VP9 and traded it off like a doofus. It was good. Not Glock good but it was arguably more fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

Being a well known gLoCk hater, pick one of the others that fit your hands and you shoot well.

All of their controls are slightly different and there is no shortage of pistols that are better than gLoCk from a number of aspects.

ETA: I own two of the models you listed, my personal experience is that the VP9 is better than the M&P, in my hands. I still own the M&P and it too would be a solid choice.

I see others are recommending the PPQ which is a fine pistol as well but it wasn't on your list. I own a V1 PPQ and would rank it behind the VP9 and slightly ahead of the M&P. The PPQ has better ergonomics than the M&P but not as good as the VP9. The magazine release on the V1 is too thin. I'm spoiled by the HK style magazine release, so the V2 doesn't appeal much to me, already owning the V1.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 07-19-16 at 16:42.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast