Thread: quick clot vs cello vs celox rapid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

quick clot vs cello vs celox rapid

I am putting together a new trauma kit, and I have a few questions...

I was trying to find out which is better - Quck Clot Combat Gauze or Celox. I have read reports from those with more experience and knowledge that I that both are better. I did read a report that Celox had a higher survival rate than Quick Clot, but I do not know the details of the study. In all likelihood, it doesn't matter - either will do, but as long as I am buying, I might as well buy the best.

I also see there is a Celox Rapid (works in 1 min) vs regular Celox gauze (works in 3 mins). Price is almost the same. One would think a 1 min compression time would be preferrinble to a 3 min compression time, but what do I know. If going with Celox, is there any reason to prefer the older 3 minite version over the newer Celox Rapid?

FWIW, I have had some training (but could always use more, and more is planned).

Feedback Score
    I have both Celox Rapid and Quikclot Combat gauze. The Quikclot has a lot more gauze for the same money. I use the Celox rapid for very size constrained kits and Quikclot for normal kits. I also do the same with other components, having preferred types for size/weight constrained and full sized kits.

Feedback Score
    That is useful feedback as I am looking at both as well, thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Took a 3 day TCCC class with Mike Shertz, former 18D and emergency physician and here is the last portion of my notes, where he went through a detailed discussion of the available medical studies on various options:

Hemostatics Summary – 2 or 3 hr survival & 4 or 6mm femoral artery laceration:
    * Combat Gauze: 46/63 pigs survive
    * ChitoGauze: 28/35 pigs survive???
    * Celox (all types): 34/52 pigs survive
    * HemCon Bandage: 7/51 pigs survive
    * QuikClot ACS: Worse than Hemcon
    * WoundState: Clots well, destroys arteries

Summary: Combat gauze is the TCCC hemostatic dressing of choice. Chitogauze and Celox Gauze may also be used if CG is not available
    Last edited by zacbol; 07-22-16 at 19:17.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is SPOT ON. Exactly.

I have a few PDF files of several studies. He hit above though. The new generation Kaolin impregnated Combat Gauze is THE hemostatic agent of choice. Why? Because Science.

Feedback Score
    I too carry QC Combat Gauze. Best performer that I've seen although I'm far from a medical expert.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    I've been LE for 20 years and never truly needed my gun but I carry it religiously.
    Over the last two years I've changed my mindset with respect to med kits. I now carry a basic trauma kit every day at work and many times off duty as well. I hope I never need any of it but who knows what GOD has planned for me. Better to have and not need.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dm2206 View Post
    I've been LE for 20 years and never truly needed my gun but I carry it religiously.
    Over the last two years I've changed my mindset with respect to med kits. I now carry a basic trauma kit every day at work and many times off duty as well. I hope I never need any of it but who knows what GOD has planned for me. Better to have and not need.....
    Yes. If I was a cop, especially these days, I would carry a gun every day. Also, if I was a cop, I'd carry at least a basic trauma kit every day at work. I'm surprised you aren't issued one for your patrol car.

We're not reall talking about cops, though.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-23-16 at 04:28.