Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quick clot vs cello vs celox rapid

Feedback Score

quick clot vs cello vs celox rapid

I am putting together a new trauma kit, and I have a few questions...

I was trying to find out which is better - Quck Clot Combat Gauze or Celox. I have read reports from those with more experience and knowledge that I that both are better. I did read a report that Celox had a higher survival rate than Quick Clot, but I do not know the details of the study. In all likelihood, it doesn't matter - either will do, but as long as I am buying, I might as well buy the best.

I also see there is a Celox Rapid (works in 1 min) vs regular Celox gauze (works in 3 mins). Price is almost the same. One would think a 1 min compression time would be preferrinble to a 3 min compression time, but what do I know. If going with Celox, is there any reason to prefer the older 3 minite version over the newer Celox Rapid?

FWIW, I have had some training (but could always use more, and more is planned).

Feedback Score
    I have both Celox Rapid and Quikclot Combat gauze. The Quikclot has a lot more gauze for the same money. I use the Celox rapid for very size constrained kits and Quikclot for normal kits. I also do the same with other components, having preferred types for size/weight constrained and full sized kits.

Feedback Score
    That is useful feedback as I am looking at both as well, thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Took a 3 day TCCC class with Mike Shertz, former 18D and emergency physician and here is the last portion of my notes, where he went through a detailed discussion of the available medical studies on various options:

Hemostatics Summary – 2 or 3 hr survival & 4 or 6mm femoral artery laceration:
    * Combat Gauze: 46/63 pigs survive
    * ChitoGauze: 28/35 pigs survive???
    * Celox (all types): 34/52 pigs survive
    * HemCon Bandage: 7/51 pigs survive
    * QuikClot ACS: Worse than Hemcon
    * WoundState: Clots well, destroys arteries

Summary: Combat gauze is the TCCC hemostatic dressing of choice. Chitogauze and Celox Gauze may also be used if CG is not available
    Last edited by zacbol; 07-22-16 at 19:17.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is SPOT ON. Exactly.

I have a few PDF files of several studies. He hit above though. The new generation Kaolin impregnated Combat Gauze is THE hemostatic agent of choice. Why? Because Science.

Feedback Score
    I too carry QC Combat Gauze. Best performer that I've seen although I'm far from a medical expert.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info everyone. Quick Clot Combat Gauze it is.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Currently, in my CiV Flight Nurse job, we carry Combat Gauze in the Aircraft(2 packages in our wound dressing bag, Go-Bag(2 in our hemorrhage pouch), and flight suit(one in left lower leg pocket with CAT TQ).

Our Medical Director chose the Combat Gauze for the reasons mentioned above and our Trauma service prefers it over the other products.

Humbly,
    Jason

Feedback Score
    The chitogauze performed better by 8% but somehow QuikClot is better? Because 8% more deaths? Because science? Did I do the math wrong? I know Celox Rapid works twice as fast as Combat gauze from QuikClot.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Good information. Thank you.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast