Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on ammunition for home defense

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Need advice on ammunition for home defense

I have a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 SBR (CZ kit) and it is suppressed. It has a ~7.75" barrel and I was curious as to what 9mm ammunition you guys would recommend to use as home defense. Ideally, I would love a subsonic Critical Duty 9mm load, but I don't think it exists. I am not well versed in 9mm ammunition, this is my only firearm in that caliber.

Before I'm asked, I chose this because it feels the best to me in close quarters. I live in Florida and the homes are not as big as up north and an AR like my BCM with a 16" barrel is just not ideal.

Thanks in advance. If mods feel this would be best served in another section of the forums, please feel free to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What's wrong with Critical Defense? It would seem ideal for both pistol and SBR to me. If I have to shoot somebody in my house, I'm not going to be worried about anybody's hearing, being a life and death situation, nor do I plan to keep it a secret.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nothing is wrong with it. Just not sure what's available to me in the 9mm market. There might be something similar to critical duty that's subsonic which would be even better for this application.

I'm looking at it like if I'm groggy waking up out of a deep sleep in bed (been in this situation before, luckily nothing ended up being fired) and it's now go time. I can only imagine how it would've messed with my senses for a loud bang to go off next to my head.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That aforementioned experience is why I no longer sleep with my home defense weapon in a safe. Mental clarity takes a several seconds to come back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sounds like a great course topic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would not allow noise level to dictate defensive ammunition selection. If the pressure you feel behind your ears and on the rest of your skull is manageable, I would not rule out shooting a particular cartridge.

There is a chance you would experience auditory exclusion under stress and not hear the report of the weapon in a defensive situation.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Adrenalin does some pretty cool shit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't been in that situation but I think I might stick with Critical Duty then because that is the most accurate ammo I've tested and it doesn't seem like there's any better alternative yet.

Feedback Score
    147 grain Federal HST.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe Critical Defense was designed to not over penetrate where as Critical Duty was designed to somewhat better preform through possible intermediate barriers.

For a strictly home defense weapon I'd personally want a round that functions in my weapon flawlessly, accurate enough for the job and light weight expanding to dump its energy without over penetrating.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast