Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alice frame sources/availability

Feedback Score
    Tactical Tailor makes an upgraded version of the frame for their MALICE packs with welded joints instead of rivets

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/tactic...ompatible.aspx

Mystery Ranch also used to sell the NICE frame as a standalone unit, and it is compatible with ALICE packs.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 07-26-16 at 08:55.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    No, but some units still issue them from their own property books.
    Yep when I should up to ranger batt in the mid 2000s they were still being issued and and I know that in the 82nd good number of guys would buy or source one instead of the piece of shit molle pack. I have seen multiple molle frames break both in ranger school and on deployment, i would not trust one especially for airborne ops. I was fast to take note from my first platoon Sgt. And upgrade to tac tailor straps and kidney pad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sua175 View Post
    Yep when I should up to ranger batt in the mid 2000s they were still being issued and and I know that in the 82nd good number of guys would buy or source one instead of the piece of shit molle pack. I have seen multiple molle frames break both in ranger school and on deployment, i would not trust one especially for airborne ops. I was fast to take note from my first platoon Sgt. And upgrade to tac tailor straps and kidney pad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, my Company in the 82nd issued them to every Soldier along with air items, mags, and all the other normal new guy OCIE.

The tac tailor kidney pad and straps, a claymore pocket on the top flap, and modifying the snap fasteners for buckles on the wet weather pockets and cinch straps are some of the best changes you can do to an ALICE. I broke a MOLLE frame on a night jump in Alaska and had to ruck the 12 miles back with that shitty broken bag on my bag. Also saw quite a few crack from the edge of the frame to the various hole cutouts for straps from guys dropping them from as low as an LMTV.

**** the MOLLE.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Oh, ALICE...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    http://tonystactical.com/

Site down for maintenance, but Tony's has a good selection. They'll even build you a Hellcat

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    ALICE frames are horrible but cheap. You can get a more comfortable and useful Down East (Airborne) replacement from a number of places.

That looks good

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm glad some here hate the Alice. I always hear old school guys talk about how much they love it, I usually wonder if they just didn't know any better and learned they had to love it. That thing sucks. The metal bar up the middle sits right on your spine and the bottom for the frame always tore into my back because the pad wasn't large enough to cover it. They're also pretty small. Trying to fit an entire winter packing list in there is rough and the front three pouches are almost useless. The only pro is that they're cheap and durable as hell. I prefer the MOLLE but that's a pain in the ass to assemble and I've also seen several break. I wish I could get away with using my mystery ranch in future army endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Not my ruck.

Ditched ALICE years ago for Mystery Ranch and FILBE.
    Mystery Ranch is too much for me unfortunately
    Got issued the FILBE a year before EAS. Went to Afghanistan with a firing battery so I never got a chance to hump with it but I was overall impressed with the entire system. A big improvement over the ILBE, especially the assault pack. My only complaint is the moronic way the load lifter straps are set up. I regret not buying the one from my buddy as complete FILBE systems are extremely hard to come by now.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Yep, my Company in the 82nd issued them to every Soldier along with air items, mags, and all the other normal new guy OCIE.

The tac tailor kidney pad and straps, a claymore pocket on the top flap, and modifying the snap fasteners for buckles on the wet weather pockets and cinch straps are some of the best changes you can do to an ALICE. I broke a MOLLE frame on a night jump in Alaska and had to ruck the 12 miles back with that shitty broken bag on my bag. Also saw quite a few crack from the edge of the frame to the various hole cutouts for straps from guys dropping them from as low as an LMTV.

**** the MOLLE.
    The current Gen IV MOLLE frames are far more durable than the older gen shit you had to use before. My buddies who did get to hump with the FILBE reported no frame breakage, but one had the earlier FILBE main pack with the out of spec load lifter straps that broke on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'm glad some here hate the Alice. I always hear old school guys talk about how much they love it, I usually wonder if they just didn't know any better and learned they had to love it. That thing sucks. The metal bar up the middle sits right on your spine and the bottom for the frame always tore into my back because the pad wasn't large enough to cover it. They're also pretty small. Trying to fit an entire winter packing list in there is rough and the front three pouches are almost useless. The only pro is that they're cheap and durable as hell. I prefer the MOLLE but that's a pain in the ass to assemble and I've also seen several break. I wish I could get away with using my mystery ranch in future army endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regular Large ALICE with the metal frame and triglides sucked but the ALICE Hellcat mod and fastex buckles is awesome. Compared to the POS ILBE I used before, its much easier for me at least to pack and get stuff out of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12