Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy - New Build

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New Guy - New Build

Hey guys, I've referenced this forum for so long but never made an account. Well, I finally took the plunge, so I'll give a quick rundown of my build.

I built this rifle to be simple and reliable. (Essentially a "go to" gun) I'm not a fan of the 10lb "tacticool" rifles I constantly see at the range, so I tried to keep it as simple as possible, yet have all the necessary accessories I feel are a must on a "go to" rifle. Blah Blah Blah heres the list

Noveske - Gen III Lower and VLTOR Upper
    BCM - BCG, 14.5 ELW Barrel, Gas Block, Buffer, Gunfighter Stock, and Mod 3 Charging Handle
    Geissele - 13" MK8 MLOK Handguard and Super Precision MRO mount - co-witness (soon to have S3G)
    Trijicon MRO
    Magpul - Rubberized Grip, Pro Front BUIS, Surefire Tape Switch mount
    Lantac Dragon
    Knights Armament 600m Rear BUIS
    Surefire - Mini Scout and UE07 Switch
    Arisaka Defense - Scout mount and Fingerstop (Railscales Karve is in the mail)
    Railscales honeycomb grips
    KNS anti walk pins
    POF single stage 4.5lb trigger

Rifle comes in a 6.9lbs (unloaded)

I have a pretty decent camera, but I'm new to forums and don't really know how to get them to upload at their full size - HELP

unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg

ps - any coasties on this forum?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Would you mind expounding on the parts selection? Former USCG GM2 sends.

Quote Originally Posted by Large View Post
    Hey guys, I've referenced this forum for so long but never made an account. Well, I finally took the plunge, so I'll give a quick rundown of my build.

I built this rifle to be simple and reliable. (Essentially a "go to" gun) I'm not a fan of the 10lb "tacticool" rifles I constantly see at the range, so I tried to keep it as simple as possible, yet have all the necessary accessories I feel are a must on a "go to" rifle. Blah Blah Blah heres the list

Noveske - Gen III Lower and VLTOR Upper
    BCM - BCG, 14.5 ELW Barrel, Gas Block, Buffer, Gunfighter Stock, and Mod 3 Charging Handle
    Geissele - 13" MK8 MLOK Handguard and Super Precision MRO mount - co-witness (soon to have S3G)
    Trijicon MRO
    Magpul - Rubberized Grip, Pro Front BUIS, Surefire Tape Switch mount
    Lantac Dragon
    Knights Armament 600m Rear BUIS
    Surefire - Mini Scout and UE07 Switch
    Arisaka Defense - Scout mount and Fingerstop (Railscales Karve is in the mail)
    Railscales honeycomb grips
    KNS anti walk pins
    POF single stage 4.5lb trigger

Rifle comes in a 6.9lbs (unloaded)

I have a pretty decent camera, but I'm new to forums and don't really know how to get them to upload at their full size - HELP

unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg

ps - any coasties on this forum?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Of course!
    I started off with all of the core BCM components simply because of their tight tolerances, treatments, and quality. Soon after I acquired those, I got lucky and stumbled upon the Noveske lower (right before they doubled in price due to John's passing) and had always been a fan of his products. After some research, I decided to go with their VLTOR upper because of the extremely tight fit. (it is ridiculously tight) Next, I purchased the Geissele handguard because I knew it would be of high quality and lightweight because of the MLOK gaps, but I decided to go with the MK8 instead of the MK4 so keep it streamlined and also slightly lighter. I also prefer traditional feeling handguards rather than rounded ones, so having the protruding 3, 6, and 9 MLOK sections accommodates my grip preference. I decided to go with the POF single stage trigger after playing with a buddy's rifle and it just so happened to include KNS pins. While on leave in TN, I found some good deals on the Lantac ($135) and a BCM buffer kit (forgot the price) along with a Gunfighter stock- they had just been released at the time and I wanted to replace my CTR I had on previously from my prior rifle so I decided to give it a go. I'm still pretty pleased with it because it doesn't snag on my shirt when I have the rifle slung and its vert snug on the buffer tube. (BCM on BCM, imagine that) I used all of the other lower parts stuff from my previous build and what I had laying around at home. I picked up the Pro front and rear but changed out the rear because I like the sight picture better with the hood in the rear and it doesn't have that slight wiggle my Pro did. I originally had an XPS3-2 on top, but after all of the stuff going on with Eotech, I decided to back to Trijicon after their release of the MRO. Got the sight, loved it, still love it, but the factory mount was simply an eye sore so I went with the Super Precision mount. The Arisaka fingerstop helps my little grip a bit, but the rail kept getting hot after a few rapidly placed rounds; thus, the Railscales. Completely blown away by their quality, so I'm still waiting on a handstop from them in the mail. I feel that a good light is a must on a go to rifle, so I picked up a Mini Scout at a good price here locally. At the time I was satisfied with the Arisaka fingerstop, so I ordered their inline Scout mount- I still love it. The fit and finish is bar none. Along with that, i decided to go with a UE07 over the SR07 because a few of my friends had issues with their switches coming off of the picatinny and Magpul had just released their switch mount for MLOK. It fits rather well in the 10 o clock position and rides exactly where my thumb rests. I'm sure I've left out some components and reasons for choosing them. If this isn't sufficient, please feel free to ask more specific questions! Hope this helps.
    I am the painter making this mess a masterpiece.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice build! I bet you can't wait to finally get your hands on that Karve. Thwy really do make awesome products. How do you like the MRO so far?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Handgunner View Post
    Nice build! I bet you can't wait to finally get your hands on that Karve. Thwy really do make awesome products. How do you like the MRO so far?
    I love it. I've had it since January and the lowest setting it has been on is 3 (which is about the brightness output all of my T1/H1 buddies keep theirs at) and its still just as bright as the day I bought it. The dot seems to be slightly more define and less glary around the edges, but not really enough to brag about. Stereotypical "wider objective lens" admiration. etc. etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks. I don't own one but from seeing pics I REALLY dig the fov.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. I don't own one but from seeing pics I REALLY dig the fov.
    Here's a little sight picture. Love the KAC rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    More of a tint indoors? Have you experienced any of the red glare with light behind you? I really like them, even more everytime I see them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    More of a tint indoors? Have you experienced any of the red glare with light behind you? I really like them, even more everytime I see them.
    The tint is really amplified by the white backdrop. There's a tint, but it's not that bluish when in ambient light outside. As for the glare, it hasn't been enough to distract my eye from the dot or target. The above pictures are on setting 4, which I use if it's really bright or I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. Most of the time, it's on setting 3, in which case, has even less glare: if at all. I've only experienced glare strong enough to distract me once- in which case I simply turned it down to setting 3 and the dot was still easy to pick up rapidly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks man. I'll have to get my hands on one and give it a go. Just sold my T1 and changed my mind on my current build. Decided to go nfa instead.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast