Thread: Heavy barrels--Bushmaster, specifically

Feedback Score

Heavy barrels--Bushmaster, specifically

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance:

Back in the early 1990s I bought a Bushmaster 20" A2-style rifle. I've read the stickies & ultimately purchased a Daniel Defense 16" hammer forged lightweight DDM4. Obviously, there's a big weight difference, but I don't see much of an accuracy difference to justify a heavy barrel. Since my range only has a 300 yard limit, I can't comment on accuracy beyond this limit. I've never had a problem with the rifle in several thousand rounds, but am at a point where I'm ditching unnecessary stuff. The first thing I sold was my .40 S&W handgun, but that's another topic.....

I realize there may or may not be a benefit to a heavier barrel re: resonance, stiffness & ? heat? but I'm leaning towards selling it, as it's weight & length don't seem to have a benefit. If I was going to have a true Hbar, I'd rather buy a real target barrel, like a Kreiger, Walther, or similar match grade barrel.

Am I missing something re: Hbars? Are these things worth keeping?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It pretty much depends on the person. Some people are not into the HBARs. I have an older Colt MH6601 Sporter Match HBAR and a BM upper with a 14.5" HBAR. I have no intention of getting rid of them. They are good shooters. I also have many other ARs that fit most of my needs. So, it boils down to your wants and needs as to whether you find it necessary or beneficial to keep the BM 20" HBAR. The early 1990s Bushmasters are more desirable that the new ones as they were manufactured by the old Bushmaster in Windham, ME.

ETA: I forgot that I have a RRA 20" A2 HBAR as well.

If you consider selling your BM, there may be a few of us that might be interested in it. Myself included.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 08-06-16 at 07:22.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I used to own a pre-ban 20" Bushmaster A2 HBAR and it was one of my favorite rifles. I am currently looking for another one, but it seems nobody makes a new one anymore (everything's all A3 and non-HBAR these days). If yours is like-new, pre-ban config (w/flash hider and lug) and you're thinking of letting it go for a fair price I may be interested in it.