Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger AR556 first impressions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    That's pretty terrible staking, compared to the BCM and Colt BCG's I have. There should be carrier key material pushing against the screws to the point where the screws themselves are somewhat deformed by the key material pushing inward, which is the whole reason for staking in the first place. One of the four "stakes" in your picture looks like it might be okay, but that's it. Again, I get that this is a $600 gun and the days are not long past where a $600 AR would have no staking at all.
    Thanks for the info new to AR's in the last bought the Ruger at a gun show for $600 and have had fun with it ever since. Do you have pic's of a proper staked gas key and what tool is used in staking so I can do mine proper? Love messing with these AR's what else is a retiree to do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check here for info and tools for staking.

http://michiguns.com/tools.php

Ned is a member here. He's a good man and makes/sells good stuff.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Check here for info and tools for staking.

http://michiguns.com/tools.php

Ned is a member here. He's a good man and makes/sells good stuff.
    Thank you !

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Thanks for the info new to AR's in the last bought the Ruger at a gun show for $600 and have had fun with it ever since. Do you have pic's of a proper staked gas key and what tool is used in staking so I can do mine proper? Love messing with these AR's what else is a retiree to do.
    The MOACKS plain that's on the site Tokarev linked to looks like just the ticket. I've never attempted to stake a gas key myself, due to lack of work bench and tools, which is why I've always paid more for BCM and Colt BCG's as opposed to other options. Some day, if the AR market ever cools down again, I'll spend money on tools, instead of more lowers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used the regular MOACKS. It is easy to use and does a nice job.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, FWIW, I picked one up for about $582 last year "just because". Put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it, did a basic zero for 100 yards, and put it away. I did some restaking which did not surprise me much. My son is a contract pilot in Afghanistan. He recently found he was due for another weapons requal just before heading back. The basic platform he was to use was an M4 with Eotech; so we grabbed the Ruger for similarity to that. He fired 60 rounds of my M193 duplicate handholds with no issues, including about 12 rounds from unsupported prone from 300 yards. He had to hold over on a steel torso silhouette, but as I recall he fired 12 rounds for 10 hits, half fairly in the center.

I may have age, treachery, and Tier 1 stuff on my side, but I'd call that pretty good bang for the buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IaYkAdexE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Well, FWIW, I picked one up for about $582 last year "just because". Put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it, did a basic zero for 100 yards, and put it away. I did some restaking which did not surprise me much. My son is a contract pilot in Afghanistan. He recently found he was due for another weapons requal just before heading back. The basic platform he was to use was an M4 with Eotech; so we grabbed the Ruger for similarity to that. He fired 60 rounds of my M193 duplicate handholds with no issues, including about 12 rounds from unsupported prone from 300 yards. He had to hold over on a steel torso silhouette, but as I recall he fired 12 rounds for 10 hits, half fairly in the center.

I may have age, treachery, and Tier 1 stuff on my side, but I'd call that pretty good bang for the buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IaYkAdexE
    That's what I'm saying this AR shoots great for me with no issues, I have also made it full ambi put a surefire muzzle brake abd F/F the barrel with a UTG slim hand guard and put a 2 stage ruger trigger in it also M223 Nikon scope and some furniture also a adjustable gas block and I'm happy.
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 07-30-16 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Ruger. It works fine. The gas key is spec'd by Ruger to be staked, and mine is. Sounds like you got one that slipped past the inspectors. The only things I don't like about the gun are the polymer rear folding sight, and the fact that the firing pin isn't shrouded. Getting ready to put an A2 stock on it and a detachable carry handle with A2 sights. Other than that, it is accurate and reliable.

Ruger has always made good guns, and from what I hear, they have great customer service. I've never had to use them, as I've never had a problem with any Rugers I have owned.

The Ruger is a hell of a lot of gun for the price. It may not be "snobby," but I'm sure it would meet the needs of 95% of people who want that style configuration.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I suggest reading more.

Quote Originally Posted by 2631orange View Post
    I've got a Ruger. It works fine. The gas key is spec'd by Ruger to be staked, and mine is. Sounds like you got one that slipped past the inspectors. The only things I don't like about the gun are the polymer rear folding sight, and the fact that the firing pin isn't shrouded. Getting ready to put an A2 stock on it and a detachable carry handle with A2 sights. Other than that, it is accurate and reliable.

Ruger has always made good guns, and from what I hear, they have great customer service. I've never had to use them, as I've never had a problem with any Rugers I have owned.

The Ruger is a hell of a lot of gun for the price. It may not be "snobby," but I'm sure it would meet the needs of 95% of people who want that style configuration.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Looks like this one slipped through QC. It should have staking. It being a $600 AR, it's not going to have all the goodies of a Colt, BCM, DD etc. and offers nothing for most of the people on this site. I hope they make it right with you and send you a properly staked BCG.

Also, that is some pretty terrible staking on post #19.

Keep us updated.
    Worry less, Train more.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast