Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of SBRs, cans, and breaks.

Feedback Score

Of SBRs, cans, and breaks.

All,

I have a SilencerCo Omega, and SBR lower in the NFA queue, so I'm obsessing over my plans for when they're done.

I intend to use the Omega with the 9" 300Blk, my 18" 308, and perhaps my 14.5" 5.56. The idea of using a break on the SBR really doesn't appeal to me, but heard talk about it being necessary to take force off of the first baffle. If it's not truly necessary, I'd rather have a flash hider on the SBR (I reserve the right to shoot it unsupressed ), the 5.56 and put a break on the 308.

Do those of you with experience think the break is really necessary? If it it, I suppose that I'd go with the ASR break on all of them with a blast shield on the SBR.

I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer me. I'm new to both SBRs and suppressors.

JRC

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm in a similar situation and have chosen to use a brake on the 11.5 to act as a sacrificial baffle. I don't have stamps for the SBR or the Omega yet but that's my plan unless I learn something new in this trhead.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I used my Omega on a 10.5" 5.56 SBR, a 16" 5.56 and a 16" 7.62x39. All using ASR flash hiders. I did notice some wear on my blast baffle in a kind of triangular shape just like the end of the tines of flash hider. I was very surprised at this as it seemed improbable due to a very low round count and the blast baffle being stellite. I thought it may just be carbon or powder residue caking on the blast baffle but it sure looked like minor pitting to my eyes. Unfortunately I don't know which rifle caused it. I assume it's from the SBR or maybe a result of something in the powder from the 7.62x39. Either way I run a brake on the SBR now. I still have flash hiders on the 16" 5.56 rifles and I haven't put it on the 556R anymore since it would malfunction with the can on.

Thinking about it now I'm curious to check on it further. I just figured if it really became an issue of wear on the blast baffle that SiCo would take care of me. Maybe it really is just residue. I'll have to pull it out and check on it. Maybe try to get a picture.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I went with FH's on my 11.5" and 12.5" SBR's, but I also run a dedicated can (Saker 556 w/ASR MAAD Mount) on the 11.5" and am running a Saker K on the 12.5" and most of my other guns. I also have an Omega for my AK and .308 platforms. I am running FH's on pretty much everything except for my Recce, which wears an ASR Brake. It is a DMR/Semi Precision setup, so I felt the brake was a bit more suitable.
    Last edited by drtywk; 07-25-16 at 20:09.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I run a brake on my 5.56 rifles/uppers under 16" and my .300 BO uppers under 9.5". Just enough to cover the complete burn of the powder.

The SBRs are teeth rattling to shoot without the can but that's why I have the can.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Break would not be necessary with those barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not needed. Nice to can, but not necessary.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Running a flash hider mount on my 12.5

Feedback Score
    Tagged for interest. Brake or FH for an SBR in jail right now.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I pulled out my Omega. It's definitely wear. Pictures may or may not be clear enough. This was part of the reason I have a Specwar 556k that stays on the sbr now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast