Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lighting Options

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    LuminAID Solar Lanterns are another option similar to the LUCI.
    Link to website is HERE.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Deleted - double post
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-09-16 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I take a different approach;

Use a 30 watt PV collector to charge a 28AH deep cycle battery that is housed in a Pelican case. The case has a 12-volt socket to plug chargers and other 12V devices into.

I have converted some table lamps into 12V operation by using 12V RV LED bulbs and replacing the 120V plug with a 12V male plug. With splitters I can run multiple lamps off the 28AH battery.

The converted lamps are used normally via a 12V wall wart with a female 12V socket wired to the output. This way the lamps retain full non-emergency every day use but can be used in a loss-of-power scenario.

All of my hand held lights are powered with Li-ion, several of which can be easily attached and used as WML. With a 12V charger, all (including AA NiMH) can be recharged indefinitely with this set up as well;

Details on the charging station at post #117 here;

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...st-built/page4

Cliff Notes version - this is a portable solar charging station consisting of a solar panel, a deep-cycle lead-acid battery and a charge controller. So, the solar panel charges the 28AH battery in the yellow Pelican case, then that battery powers a variety of 12V battery chargers to recharge small batteries (mostly Li-ion) used in hand held lights, WMLs, battery lanterns, etc.

FWIW, just about any device that uses CR123A batteries can use rechargeable 16340 or 16650 Li-ion batteries. Anything that can be plugged into the 12V socket in your car (USB chargers, lights, air compressors, etc.) can be powered with this set up.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-09-16 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Cliff Notes version - this is a portable solar charging station consisting of a solar panel, a deep-cycle lead-acid battery and a charge controller. So, the solar panel charges the 28AH battery in the yellow Pelican case, then that battery powers a variety of 12V battery chargers to recharge small batteries (mostly Li-ion) used in hand held lights, WMLs, battery lanterns, etc
    I like that idea. I want to set up something like that for camping, and to have around for a back up power.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That is damn slick Cannonshooter, thanks for sharing and providing the link.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    That is damn slick Cannonshooter, thanks for sharing and providing the link.
    YAW

One of my goals is to use this set up as part of my normal routine - unlike "emergency-only equipment" that may sit for years unused then be non-functional when you really need it. I charge all of my hand held light Li-ion batteries with this, as well as all of my hand held devises (iPhones, etc.) via a USB adapter. When the battery drops to about 50% capacity (around 12 volts with no load), I hook up the collector and charge it up. On a sunny day, it takes about four hours to bring it back up to full charge.

For a period of time there was an parasitic draw issue with my wife's car that would kill the battery (that has now been resolved). If we took her car on a trip I would throw the Pelican case in the trunk with a set of jumper cables in the event we needed to jump start.

If anyone is interested in building their own, feel free to contact me - I spend a lot of time researching. There is an optimum balance between battery capacity, collector size and (if you want to use one) inverter size. A typical mistake is trying to draw too much current using an over-sized inverter (good read here):

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-size-tutorial

FWIW, the entire project cost me about $400, minus the tripod.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the info Cannonshooter. I'm definitely going to looking into a setup like this when I get to my new AO.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    One of the area light solutions I have are AA powered LED Christmas tree lights. I just string them overhead and they provide diffuse light throughout the room. Good, low powered area lights; inexpensive too. As an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ama...s+lights&psc=1

Feedback Score
    I'd recommend having a few battery operated CO and smoke detectors ready. Especially when running Aladdin lamps. They can soot up fast if not monitored. I love the heat they put out. I'm running two right now. 70 degrees in the radio room.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234