Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Options

Feedback Score
    A few options to consider:
    (1) Kerosene lanterns are listed above. One can purchase very inexpensive (and simple) lanterns at Walmart for a few dollars. Stinky, incurs fire risk, makes smoke, and provides minimal light. But, it works, is cheap, and is EMP proof!
    (2) Candles: can purchase these on-line in bulk very inexpensively, too. Store forever. Use them when you need them. But, they also have the risk of fire, make smoke, and don't provide great reading light.
    (3) Solar-powered lanterns: Neat little inflatable LED lantern powered by solar panel. Cool idea, works great, but not particularly tough. https://mpowerd.com
    (4) Other lanterns: This lantern is really, really handy for power failures. https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DL...ortman+lantern These types of lanterns are really hard to beat in terms of light quality, cost, and safety. Just need to stock up on batteries.

Just some ideas!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tower59 View Post
    A few options to consider:
    (1) Kerosene lanterns are listed above. One can purchase very inexpensive (and simple) lanterns at Walmart for a few dollars. Stinky, incurs fire risk, makes smoke, and provides minimal light. But, it works, is cheap, and is EMP proof!
    (2) Candles: can purchase these on-line in bulk very inexpensively, too. Store forever. Use them when you need them. But, they also have the risk of fire, make smoke, and don't provide great reading light.
    (3) Solar-powered lanterns: Neat little inflatable LED lantern powered by solar panel. Cool idea, works great, but not particularly tough. https://mpowerd.com
    (4) Other lanterns: This lantern is really, really handy for power failures. https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DL...ortman+lantern These types of lanterns are really hard to beat in terms of light quality, cost, and safety. Just need to stock up on batteries.

Just some ideas!
    Great points. I try to avoid anything that used fire to generate light if possible. Too risky IMHO.

The last couple of years I've switched over to rechargeable solutions so I don't have to buy batteries. I'm going to order a couple of these. Thanks for the link! https://mpowerd.com

I have a few powered lanterns that are rechargeable. There are several solar chargers now that will keep these things charged should I lose the ability to do so via generator or my car battery.

I switched all of my flashlights over to rechargeable years ago.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HANDS DOWN WINNER- UST 60-30 -10 Day & PICO L.E.D. Lanterns.
    These are awesome lanterns that I & others have used for awhile now. They are well built, affordable and thus far 100% reliable. QUESTION: I am of the opinion that due to the technology of these lanterns & others like them, that all fuel/mantle based lanterns are now obsolete. Candle lanterns...still a viable option as a last resort. Id like opinions as when/where/how a fuel lantern would be of advantage over a modern battery l.e.d. lantern such as the UST lanterns.
    Thanks for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Surv...l+Technologies
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 07-30-16 at 13:16.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    HANDS DOWN WINNER- UST 60-30 -10 Day & PICO L.E.D. Lanterns.
    These are awesome lanterns that I & others have used for awhile now. They are well built, affordable and thus far 100% reliable. QUESTION: I am of the opinion that due to the technology of these lanterns & others like them, that all fuel/mantle based lanterns are now obsolete. Candle lanterns...still a viable option as a last resort. Id like opinions as when/where/how a fuel lantern would be of advantage over a modern battery l.e.d. lantern such as the UST lanterns.
    Thanks for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Surv...l+Technologies
    Agreed. IMHO Fire is just too dangerous with the modern LED alternatives available. BUT... If there was ever an EMP and our solar charging systems were not protected, we'd be SOL. But, yes, for the most part LEDs and recharging options have obsoleted any hydrocarbon based lighting solutions IMHO. I agree the kerosene lantern is almost pure perfection for what it is needed to do, I'm just not sure I'm willing to deal with the fire risk with all of the rechargeable LED alternatives out there.

So... Probably a good idea to still have a couple cases of candles packed away, just in case. You never know. If that's all you got, it's better than nothing!!!

Good discussion. Thanks all!

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    QUESTION: I am of the opinion that due to the technology of these lanterns & others like them, that all fuel/mantle based lanterns are now obsolete. Candle lanterns...still a viable option as a last resort. Id like opinions as when/where/how a fuel lantern would be of advantage over a modern battery l.e.d. lantern such as the UST lanterns.
    Thanks for the info.
    Lots of good options being suggested here. My feelings are it is good to have a mix of options. Battery, solar, and fuel powered. I hadn't given much thought about kerosene/fuel lanterns until I read One Second After by William Forstchen. It has since got me thinking about non-electric backups to electric items that I rely on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GIG View Post
    Lots of good options being suggested here. My feelings are it is good to have a mix of options. Battery, solar, and fuel powered. I hadn't given much thought about kerosene/fuel lanterns until I read One Second After by William Forstchen. It has since got me thinking about non-electric backups to electric items that I rely on.
    You know- I AGREE. I would & do have these options available...BUT only as a back-up to the EMP type scenario, not for every day day use.
    I got freakin candles stashed everywhere!
    ADDED: Another fear & reality of fuel based lighting is the fumes given off. A few times recently people in campers have died from the carbon monoxide poisioning given off by these type lanterns. Several died at the last Talledega race. Youd be surprised at how few people even know about that danger. Its another one eliminated by L.E.D. lights/lanterns.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 07-30-16 at 13:49.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I agree with all of the above, fire is dangerous, CO is dangerous. And I would encourage everybody to collect all types of lighting options to supplement each other.

I have built up some experience and have come to appreciate the function that kerosene lanterns gave me during times of 'prolonged' power outage. These lanterns are fairly safe to use, safer then candles for sure. However, they burn with an 'open' flame and therefore have the potential to burn your house down. But so does electricity.

Never put all your eggs in one basket, leave yourself options and adapt as you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rkba01 View Post
    Never put all your eggs in one basket, leave yourself options and adapt as you go.
    This. 100%. That's the number one, classic rookie mistake.

Feedback Score
    As has been siad hurricane or old railroad kerosene/oil lanterns.

Feedback Score
    my dietz little wizzard, aladdian lamp and my msr whisperlite international
    mobile lighting, dinner light, and food.
    my apt is electric. yes i know gas and house. im saving
    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 08-01-16 at 05:15.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast