Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Options

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would avoid the Aladdian or any mantle type lamp, once used the mantle's become very delicate. For kerosene lamps or lanterns I prefer the Kosmos burners that take a large flat wick and roll it into a circle, this is much more trouble free and lower maintenance and does not need to be pressurized. This type of lamp has been the standard on boats for many years, look at Den Haan. While the mantle type will burn as bright as a 100 watt bulb the Kosmos will provide useful light in the 60 watt range or brighter and used with odorless mineral sprites are pretty much smoke and odor free. I would stick with the 10, 12 & 14 burners and some of the Den Haan hanging lamps would be really useful for nightly use. Just be aware that the Kosmos burners are chimney specific, each size takes a matching chimney.

http://www.oillampparts.com/burnerskosmos.html

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/...pper-Oil-Lamps
    Last edited by mack7.62; 08-01-16 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple mantle lamps. Very bright, yes, but the mantle is very delicate. Also, burns white gas (camp stove fuel). Is cleaner than kerosene lamps.
    Have a number of flat wick kerosene lamps, almost all are the "hurricane" style. While they do get hot, the globe is contained, and so is less likely to come off. Also, these are good outdoors, even in wind. At the end of a hurricane, I went out to check around the place, and about the time the Lantern went out, I was at risk of being blown off my feet. These are our workhorses. No reflectors, so not so good hanging (going to look into the Kirkman lamps mentioned earlier). We have 3 different sizes.
    Have candles. More for low level general lighting. Allows you to move about, and do non-detailed jobs. Moving with candles more tricky, unless they are in a lamp. Hot wax can burn.
    Battery powered lamps. We have a few, had them for awhile, so not the new led types. Eats batteries, but good for short term high output light.

Since we have a camp stove, we do keep camp fuel, but relegate it to cooking. We keep kerosene for the lamps. It stores long times if kept away from light, and not a lot of air space in the container. Temp stability lengthens storage time as well.
    A note: avoid the "pretty" dyed color lamp oils. The dye does not burn, so it congeals and hardens at the top of the wick, clogging it. This will lessen the light, and increase the smoke. The cure is to trim off the wick below the blackened part. Trimming is done occasionally anyway, as maintenance. Trim even across, do not leave strings. As mentioned, store lamps full.
    The cheap hurricane style lamps tend to leak, where the side draft tubes meet the tank. Also, cheap decorator style lamps with metal tanks often have a seam about halfway up the tank, where it is assembled, and leak there. Quality is worth the price, or go glass tank.
    We also keep plenty of batteries, of all sizes. However, I have noticed that storing AAA size batteries for any length of time is next to impossible, at least with duracell brand. They start to corrode within a year, in the package, despite the "10yr storage" label. This is the only size I have this problem with, and the sizes are all together, under the same conditions.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I would avoid the Aladdian or any mantle type lamp, once used the mantle's become very delicate. For kerosene lamps or lanterns I prefer the Kosmos burners that take a large flat wick and roll it into a circle, this is much more trouble free and lower maintenance and does not need to be pressurized. This type of lamp has been the standard on boats for many years, look at Den Haan. While the mantle type will burn as bright as a 100 watt bulb the Kosmos will provide useful light in the 60 watt range or brighter and used with odorless mineral sprites are pretty much smoke and odor free. I would stick with the 10, 12 & 14 burners and some of the Den Haan hanging lamps would be really useful for nightly use. Just be aware that the Kosmos burners are chimney specific, each size takes a matching chimney.

http://www.oillampparts.com/burnerskosmos.html

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/...pper-Oil-Lamps
    the aladian works just as well with no mantle, it just burns as bright as a lantern.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A part from all the battery powered stuff.

I have propane/mantel Coleman lanters (CO build up indoors) and have squirreled away oil lamps and oil lanterns as they take the same type of wick and oil. Walmart sells all that you need on the candle aisle in the home department. Wicks are one thing a lot of folks overlook at stockpiling. They are cheap and last forever.

As for candles, whatever is on sell. My local Walmart stores put on clearance Sterno 55 hour emergency candles a few years back so I drove around to each location and bought them out.

Garage sales, estate sales, flea markets, etc. are all good places to acquire lamps, lanterns, candles, candle stick holders, etc. on the cheap as well.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-03-16 at 04:37.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score

LED solar powered lantern

https://mpowerd.com/

I have one of the 1st gen models works great have had it for 6 months now no problems light folds small no fumes or flammables to worry about. folds in a bug out bag as well.
    I am the military products manager for Lasermax

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTMAJ View Post
    https://mpowerd.com/

I have one of the 1st gen models works great have had it for 6 months now no problems light folds small no fumes or flammables to worry about. folds in a bug out bag as well.
    Do these lights seem sturdy & well built? Im intrigued by them.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    They fold flat and you inflate them with your breath like a beach ball. my son and his friends play hackie sack in the dark with them while camping.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

I posted these in a thread I started several years ago . . .

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...0589-Meet-LUCI

Heard about this product the other day, figured I'd share it with the like-minded individuals who frequent this particular sub-forum. I plan on ordering a dozen of these soon. These lights were created mainly for third world countries, the compnay comes off as tree hugger/UNICEF types but I see the potential for these lights in illumination kits/preps.

MPOWERD™ develops and manufactures transformative clean energy products to replace and eliminate the dangerous, costly and harmful ways people living and playing off-the-grid are forced to find energy. As a benefit Corporation (B Corp), we do good by doing well. Our vision is “to eradicate energy poverty through solar justice.” We partner with like-minded individuals, resellers, NGOs, influencers and organizations to help achieve this vision

We are the inventor and manufacturer of Luci the solar-powered light. Luci is a low cost, long lasting, durable, lighting solution for those who live off the grid, cannot afford to live on the grid or are victims of emergency situations and disasters.

Unlike other solar power products, Luci incorporates the functions of a task light, flash light and diffused lantern. Luci has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs only 4.5 ounces making it compact, lightweight and collapsible for travel, is durable and reliable in extreme weather conditions and can easily be attached to a wall or ceiling. Luci was designed to be independent of a power grid. Luci is the solution where light is inaccessible or unaffordable. Luci is a clean, low-cost, sustainable energy provider. Luci provides a dependable solution where there are unreliable or absent electrical services. once Luci is acquired, there are no further costs associated with lighting.
    https://www.mpowerd.com/

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score

Thanks MN

Thanks MN I think it was your thread that made me go out and look at the company in the first place.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I posted these in a thread I started several years ago . . .

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...0589-Meet-LUCI
    I absolutely cannot believe as much as I delve into this stuff, I never saw these before. Thank yall for the info.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast