Thread: Litefighter 2 tent opinions?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Litefighter 2 tent opinions?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a lightweight two person (preferably) tent for backpacking/camping.

I need something that can withstand heavy winds, and do not want flashy colors. It does not need to be camo, but no neons or bright colors wanted.

I found the Litefighter 2 tent, and it looks to have what I'm looking for. Although I was not able to find a single user review online, and the website doesn't seem to have specs on the weight.

I see the Litefighter 1 is about 5 pounds, but don't see anything on the Lightfighter 2.

-I did also look at the Zpacks Duplex, but I'm concerned that the Cuben Material may not be very durable.

-I did also consider just buying a Kifaru Supertarp since so far I've been very impressed with what I've bought from them. The downside here is that it is a floorless shelter.

A large majority of my backpacking/camping is in the Southwest US and Northern CA. Scorpions, mosquitos, and other bugs are something I have to deal with.

I did look at Bear Paw Designs bug nets, so I can use that with the Kifaru tarp to be shielded from bugs.

I can't see any mention of the Zpacks Duplex in extreme weather conditions. As for weather conditions I may have to deal with, it's going to be heavy rains and strong high desert winds.

I don't mind spending the money since I can wait to save up, and this will most likely be a one time purchase. Although for the money I want to make sure the tent/tarp does what I need it to.

I did look at some other options, but they seem to be pretty heavy at about 8 lbs. The weight really adds up when hiking with all other gear to last 3 - 5 days.

Thanks very much in advance.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    How many people will be sleeping in the tent? Will it actually be two people or just yourself? I'm not familiar with the tent your asking about, but my advise with tents is buy +1 for the number of people you need.

In other words, if you will have 1 person a 2 person tent would be fine, 2 people a 3 person tent, etc. If you have any gear at all in the tent you'll appreciate the extra room +1 provides.

You may want to take a look at the Marmot Limelight series of tents. They are well made tents and their 2 person is about 5 lbs 10 ozs. Lots of reviews and comments online about this tent.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wif and I converted to hammocks this year and couldn't be happier. The weight per pack remained the same and we're off the ground.

Feedback Score
    you on www.hammockforums.net
    good info

full time hammock guy here and have about 15+ hammocks in the house camping all we use are hammocks
    liking my wide fabric dutchwear and a company call BIAS a few others from dutch and Simply Light Design and ridegrunner bridge for the wife
    we use HG quilts and underquilts
    my one kid uses DD UQ cause he is 7 and fits him till he gets older

Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    Wif and I converted to hammocks this year and couldn't be happier. The weight per pack remained the same and we're off the ground.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    How many people will be sleeping in the tent? Will it actually be two people or just yourself? I'm not familiar with the tent your asking about, but my advise with tents is buy +1 for the number of people you need.

In other words, if you will have 1 person a 2 person tent would be fine, 2 people a 3 person tent, etc. If you have any gear at all in the tent you'll appreciate the extra room +1 provides.

You may want to take a look at the Marmot Limelight series of tents. They are well made tents and their 2 person is about 5 lbs 10 ozs. Lots of reviews and comments online about this tent.

I'll take a look at the Marmot.

This will be for just me, so yeah I definitely want a two person.

As to the hammocks, they were something I was considering. The two things with a hammock that may be a problem are:

1) I'm a pretty cold sleeper, and I've had plenty of nights that were in the high 30's/low 40's. I know hammocks tend to be colder. I guess I can just upgrade to a warmer sleeping bag though.

2) At the risk of sounding like an idiot, is there a way to pitch a hammock with no trees? Is there some kind of poles maybe that can be set up for hanging hammocks in the desert?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    With a hammock you can get what's called an underquilt. Not sure on those temperatures as I've never tried sleeping in a hammock when it's that cold outside.

Yeah, no trees might be a problem! LOL. I have improvised with one pole or one tree and connected the other line to a roof rack on a truck.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    With a hammock you can get what's called an underquilt. Not sure on those temperatures as I've never tried sleeping in a hammock when it's that cold outside.

Yeah, no trees might be a problem! LOL. I have improvised with one pole or one tree and connected the other line to a roof rack on a truck.
    There is a reason native tribes near the equator used the hammock and the Innuit did not. (Besides lack of trees)

Being in the air helps when it's hot, but is a huge disadvantage in cold. For the same reason cots sleep colder than sleeping pads

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    See if you can still find a Big Agnes lynx pass 2.

It was not the lightest of their backpacking tents (3lb 14oz) but half the price ($200) and more durable.

A lot of features and a nice vestibule. As I recall it was a nice green color. Also, the side walls came up about halfway before netting started so you have privacy when no rain fly is on top.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like the Litefighter 2 tent is 6.8lbs packed weight.

Mosquito coils burned inside floorless shelters before turning in knock out most insects and light weight nets tucked under sleep mats double down on that.

I think this place does pyramids in green like the poncho occasionally, although bamboo isn't neon.

https://mytrailco.com/collections/tents

Those used to be called Golite Shangri-la and handle wind well.

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/_S2...S2Ci_doWLA</a>

And hope that in 2 years since this thread was started all that got sorted out.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 07-27-18 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Gossamer Gear The Two. 29 oz. Needs poles or you can use trekking poles if you use them. Floor, mosquito netting and vestibule.

I have The One and I'm happy with it.