Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Surgeon Scalpel LA in AI AXAICS vs. AI AX-MC .300 System

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the compliments. It's a bit of a heavy set-up, but the features make it worth it. I'll probably get a 20" barrel for it in the next few month as a suppressor host. My understanding is that 22" is really the lower limit of barrel length before blast and recoil get very noticeable. However, the suppressor should mitigate much of the unpleasantries and give back a little velocity while keeping the size reasonable.

My only dilemma is the choice of suppressor. Right now, I have a SF SOCOM 762 RC-2, 300 SPS, SC Omega, and Thunderbeast 338 Ultra. I'm leaning toward the Thunderbeast despite it being a larger caliber.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-16-16 at 08:26.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I run my 338 Sig can on my 300. It's same size and weight as my TBAC and Gemtech quicksand. Sounds about the same as the TBAC. So run that bad boy.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    As much as I like to run caliber specific cans on rifles, I would run the TB can on a precision rig in this case. But your surefires wouldn't be a bad choice either.. sounds like you need to get a .30 TB ultra 7 or 9 now.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    As much as I like to run caliber specific cans on rifles, I would run the TB can on a precision rig in this case. But your surefires wouldn't be a bad choice either.. sounds like you need to get a .30 TB ultra 7 or 9 now.
    Believe me, I've thought about it. However, I have 2 other cans in jail that will probably not see the light of day for a year at the rate we are going. I really don't want to be the ATF's test case for their new post-41F process.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Why no love for the Surgeons? David Preston is running one now, as well as Matt Brousseau...not to mention Jim See, if you care about that kind of stuff. I have a Defiance Deviant and a Surgeon 1086 and I like them both. I don't feel one is vastly superior over the other. GAP Tempest will be my next action for a dedicated match rifle! MPA chassis as well.
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewarden View Post
    Why no love for the Surgeons? David Preston is running one now, as well as Matt Brousseau...not to mention Jim See, if you care about that kind of stuff. I have a Defiance Deviant and a Surgeon 1086 and I like them both. I don't feel one is vastly superior over the other. GAP Tempest will be my next action for a dedicated match rifle! MPA chassis as well.
    I think that people hold Surgeon in high regard. I know I do. For me, the AXMC has a lot to offer in terms of caliber conversions between short and long actions, and a factory package that performs at a very high level. You basically hit a point a deminishing returns at about $4-5K. Just because the AI is $3K more expensive doesn't make it vastly superior. It may not even be marginally superior depending on your circumstances. You just need to decide if the AI features are worth the extra $3K.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rebarreling my own actions, with reliable accuracy, is a major selling point of the AI. Replacement parts being another. Also the point that I can buy a bbl in any caliber I want to "try" and its shipping in a few days, instead of a few weeks etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewarden View Post
    i'm running a surgeon too.

Feedback Score
    That is an absolutely bulletproof setup! What is the total weight, ready to go?

Feedback Score
    This thread is just more evidence, as if I needed any at this point, that I should have studied harder and applied myself more academically.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast