Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a PPQ??

Feedback Score

Should I buy a PPQ??

My first/only PPQ is a M2 .45 ACP I bought recently. I have about 300 rounds through it so far. I did have one episode of a "bump fire" double tap as mentioned earlier...it has a VERY short reset, and I am not a 1911 shooter who is used to a really nice trigger.

I have many thousands of rounds through Glocks and consider myself a decent shot with my Glocks. But I am a much better shot with the PPQ, and that really surprised me.

I bought the PPQ over what I really wanted, the G30, because I just don't have hands large enough to get a comfortable grip on the Glock. The PPQ fits like a glove, and the trigger is just very easy to shoot well...at this point, a bit too easy to make me feel comfortable carrying it.

I need more rounds through this gun to feel comfortable carrying it, but that will come in time.
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 07-29-16 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The whole bore axis thing really puzzles me. I had a Glock 19, bought the PPQ to use while I was trying to make the Glock into a reliable, functional handgun (trigger, ejection problems). I shot the Glock OK, but judging by rapid fire splits between the two guns, I shot the PPQ much better. I suspect that those worried about bore axis, "muzzle flip", and "snappiness" might have a more fundamental problem with their grip and technique. Any advantage the Glock might confer relative to bore axis is nullified by the grip and the trigger. IMHO.

I don't think there's much difference in bore axis between the VP9 and PPQ.

Feedback Score
    It depends.

For handguns,
    I am heavily invested in Beretta equipment from the DA/SA stand point,
    And Glock from the striker fired stand point.

I have owned both since the early nineties and as time has gone by,
    Multiple guns, holsters, set up, mags, etc.
    I could out fit a squad or two with either.

I have recently had more CZ exposure that did not exist until the last decade or so.
    I like the grip feel better than a Beretta. The trigger has more potential. You can get a steel vs aluminum frame.
    CZ marketing, produced development, etc. is not the bunch of fvcktards snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that Beretta has been. I can get an out of the box production gun, change sights, get a full sized, compact, and subcompact RAMI, full sized with threaded barrel and suppressor height night sights all compatible. At reasonable prices. If I was going to get started with DA/SA today,
    I would get a CZ hands down.
    I would have the railed suppressor host for HD. A production/SSP/multi gun full sized. A compact, and a RAMI. With a few extras. Dozens of mags and several holsters.
    But...
    I am not going to make such a drastic and extensive revamp.

There is a polymer framed striker gun I like much better than the Glock. While Glock is not the marketing failure with multiple holes in its product line Beretta is, it does not have the ergonomics and trigger and desire ability to me as the other gun. Again,
    I am not willing to make an extensive revamp.

So their are considerations beyond basic gun to gun comparison.

Having several models of a gun with several holsters and a mountain of magazines and parts and decades of training and familiarity with the platform makes going to a new gun much more complicated.

If you have one gun you had for a year or two,
    With half a dozen mags and holster or two, and find one you think suits you much better, go for it.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    The whole bore axis thing really puzzles me. I had a Glock 19, bought the PPQ to use while I was trying to make the Glock into a reliable, functional handgun (trigger, ejection problems). I shot the Glock OK, but judging by rapid fire splits between the two guns, I shot the PPQ much better. I suspect that those worried about bore axis, "muzzle flip", and "snappiness" might have a more fundamental problem with their grip and technique. Any advantage the Glock might confer relative to bore axis is nullified by the grip and the trigger. IMHO.

I don't think there's much difference in bore axis between the VP9 and PPQ.
    I have a VP9 and my brother has a PPQ. Shooting them side by side the PPQ is snappier to me. Overall I think the VP9 is a little bit "beefier" in construction, so maybe that's the reason. I do think that the bore axis of the PPQ maybe just slightly higher than the VP9, but I also noticed that I get a higher grip on the VP9.

These differences I mention aren't huge, and I think a big reason why both PPQ and VP9 give fast follow up shots is the shape/angle of the grip. The grips are what I think really help with these guns.

Feedback Score
    I have a 40S&W PPQ. The trigger is awesome, the ergonomics are great, and it is easily the most accurate or 2nd most accurate 40S&W pistol that I own. Unfortunately, it's not reliable. It will run the 40S&W ammo that has more rounded bullet profiles just fine, but the ammo that has bullets which look like pyramids with a flat top often fail to feed. The recoil spring assembly rubs the underside of the slide resulting in loose chips and gouges in the underside of the slide. You can often feel the slide hesitating when shooting it. Clearly something is wrong with it. Here's where it gets bad. I sent it back to Walther and they returned it saying that it checked out fine. I shot it and experienced the same problem. I called and asked them how many rounds they fired through it and was told one magazine. I then sent it back again because they promised to shoot more through it. Same result, they claimed that they couldn't get it to malfunction. I got it back and it was still malfunctioning. So, I offered to send them some of the ammo that I was using. They said ok. They got it and shot it using my ammo and it did malfunction. They then blamed the ammo. Keep in mind that this is US made SAAMI ammo from three different manufacturers that has proven 100% reliable in all my other 40S&W pistols. I asked them to tell me what was wrong with the ammo, but of course they couldn't. I asked them what about all the metal chips, the recoil spring rubbing (as evidenced by polished areas on it) and the gouges in the underside of the slide. They said that there was nothing wrong. Then to add insult to injury, they said that I'd have to pay for return shipping to them. I told them that I wouldn't and didn't want it back until they fixed it. I obviously can't bet my life on it and wouldn't sell it to a fellow shooter because he would just end up going through the same crap. I found out on the Walther forum that others were having the same problems. One guy with a s/n close to mine even went so far as to put up a video of his pistol malfunctioning on youtube. They called him back and offered to replace the pistol on the condition that he'd pull down the video which he did. Over then next several months they called a few times asking for my credit card information to pay for the return shipping. Each time I told them that they need to fix or replace it and ship it back on their expense. After about six months, the pistol was just delivered to me. The bottom line here is that there's no way I'd recommend buying the 40S&W version. And, if there is a problem their ability to determine the root and fix it is poor. They are absolutely not upstanding like Ruger, Glock, S&W, etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I have a VP9 and my brother has a PPQ. Shooting them side by side the PPQ is snappier to me. Overall I think the VP9 is a little bit "beefier" in construction, so maybe that's the reason. I do think that the bore axis of the PPQ maybe just slightly higher than the VP9, but I also noticed that I get a higher grip on the VP9.

These differences I mention aren't huge, and I think a big reason why both PPQ and VP9 give fast follow up shots is the shape/angle of the grip. The grips are what I think really help with these guns.
    I guess I haven't expended any mental energy on discerning the reasons I shoot those two better, nor have I paid any attention to "snappiness" of either one. I only know that I shoot both the VP9 and the PPQ better than any other pistol I own, or have owned. I don't carry either one of them...too big to suit me. If and when I do carry, I carry a Walther PPS (now Walther PPS M2).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    https://lanzerbot.wordpress.com/2015...s-vp9-trigger/

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I prefer the HK but I prefer the PPQ's trigger design.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    Is the PPQ a good gun? Absolutely.

Would I buy one for home defense or carry? Absolutely not. My reasoning is that its trigger is way too light IMO for a gun without safety. I consider myself an experienced shooter and I have been in very stressful situations and I take a more cautious and pragmatic outlook and prefer traditional double action guns for my home defense weapon. Also driving this is that I have a family and I simply prefer a gun with a longer initial pull especially in very tense situations which most likely will be in low light situations. For myself the Beretta 92 is the best answer.

The question you need to ask is the following: "Is the PPQ the right gun for you and your unique carry and home defense requirements?" You need to take a hard look at your life situation, training level, commitment to continual training, etc...

Feedback Score
    It has a sweet trigger, holds 15 rounds of 9mm (+1), and is a size I find perfect: full size gun yet easy to carry.

I have one. Highly recommend it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast