Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bullet placement to take down Black bear

Feedback Score

Best Bullet placement to take down Black bear

i am quite new to hunting and i want o get all the facts down, BB's are very tough so i will like to be prepared. i hear hunters always have a carry gun to shoot their self on the head if a black bear gets too close(i wouldn't want that to happen to me LOLZ) i have a nice Colt 901 rifle and i believe is enough fire power for bb hunting, i also have a very nice Nf nxs 55 scope mounted on the rifle so i think that's covered too. please can anyone tell me their practical experience and best bullet placement, Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My experience 22lr to the head or 223 PPU 75 grain Match to the chest. Any decent 30cal will do the job.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Bear that are double lung'ed die very quick. Sometimes We'll head shoot black bear to keep them from going down very steep slopes locally. Double lung is just about perfect. Never shoot a bear head on. They can go a long long time and you may never recover.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Bear that are double lung'ed die very quick. Sometimes We'll head shoot black bear to keep them from going down very steep slopes locally. Double lung is just about perfect. Never shoot a bear head on. They can go a long long time and you may never recover.
    will keep all these pointer in time

Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    My experience 22lr to the head or 223 PPU 75 grain Match to the chest. Any decent 30cal will do the job.
    the 223 PPU 75 grain Match sounds great. i have a bunch of them at home

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Best Bullet placement to take down Black bear

I would not use 556 on any bear. Above the shoulder shots take out the vitals on a bear, just a bit different than a deer kill shot.

Google is your friend, but my advice comes from experience.

http://www.triplecoutfittersalaska.c...placement.html
    Last edited by HKGuns; 08-02-16 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I would not use 556 on any bear. Above the shoulder shots take out the vitals on a bear, just a bit different than a deer kill shot.

Google is your friend, but my advice comes from experience.

http://www.triplecoutfittersalaska.c...placement.html

Thanks for the Link man, you guys are awesome. well you really dont think 556 wont take a bb down

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cop View Post
    Thanks for the Link man, you guys are awesome. well you really dont think 556 wont take a bb down
    Not enough margin for error to make a clean, ethical kill. It might do it with perfect shot placement and some luck.

The last thing I want when hunting bear is a wounded and pissed bear in the woods with me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Not enough margin for error to make a clean, ethical kill. It might do it with perfect shot placement and some luck.

The last thing I want when hunting bear is a wounded and pissed bear in the woods with me.
    Lolz, you are certainly right but that's why you should keep a pistol to shoot yourself in the head when a bear gets too close. LOLx

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I wouldn't go under a 30 cal for a clean kill imho. I grew up around black bears. 99% of time they are skittish, and afraid of humans. Obviously you injure one, or get between a mother and it's babies it's a whole other story. The meat is garbage, and you will probably only want sausage out of it, so this is most likely a sport kill. Most of the guys I grew up with that hunted them used 308's or 30-06. Hide isn't crazy tough, but I still think a 223 is a bit underpowered for them.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I wouldn't go under a 30 cal for a clean kill imho. I grew up around black bears. 99% of time they are skittish, and afraid of humans. Obviously you injure one, or get between a mother and it's babies it's a whole other story. The meat is garbage, and you will probably only want sausage out of it, so this is most likely a sport kill. Most of the guys I grew up with that hunted them used 308's or 30-06. Hide isn't crazy tough, but I still think a 223 is a bit underpowered for them.
    Thnx alot. yes this a sport kill. i would like to hunt with my son when he is a little bit older. thanks again, there is nothing like the opinion from a skilled hunter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast