Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3G4V Run N Gun, Presented by Rockcastle: Park City, KY, March 18, 2017

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Second, is M855 going to be a no-go?
    This first - thanks for asking. We'll have lots of steel targets, so yes, M855/SS109 and any other "penetrator" type ammo is nogo. This is a given at all the 3-gun matches I go to, so I forgot to point it out.

On the scope, I think either would do fine assuming your Bushnell holds up. But if that is in question at all, bring the ACOG. Unless you really want to give your Bushnell a good test - then bring the Bushnell. Not much help, am I? :-)

I shoot a Leupold VX-HOG 1-4 scope and it's held up fine through two 10k Run N Guns and I can't tell you how many 3-gun matches.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reposting from the Facebook Event Page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1776...tive_tab=about) just to be sure everyone sees this:

There will be FOUR trophies for this match: First, second, and third overall - and the "Mule" trophy for the person who carries the most weight (as a percentage of their bodyweight) and FINISHES the course. Run time and shooting score do not matter to the Mule, just the raw determination to NOT QUIT no matter how hard it is.

In Oklahoma I saw a guy run the course in full SWAT gear, including balaclava. Another guy did it with a full plate carrier just to see if he could. And a third did it with what I would call a "bug out bag" on his back, with everything you could think of INCLUDING a grappling hook. They were not the fastest, and not all of them even finished the match - but that's not why they were out there.
    So I wanted to have some way to recognize the craziest of those folks. The "Mule" trophy was the best I could come up with.

We don't have many sponsors since this is the first match of its kind, and I'm spending 99.99% of my time making sure the match goes well and 0.01% of my time chasing sponsors - so the prize table will be small. At the moment I'm thinking we'll give away what prizes we do have by random draw, but that may change if we suddenly have a huge growth in prizes. Everyone feel free to contact me at mstennett@twlakes.net if you'd like to sponsor the match or donate anything to the prize table.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am thrilled to announce we picked up another stage sponsor! Carolina Smoke and Guns will be sponsoring Stage 5: Make the Shot When It Counts. They are donating a few Aero Precision lowers and possibly a pistol for the prize table. Be sure to visit and like their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/S2FCLLC/?hc_location=ufi*or their webpage at http://starttofinishllc.com/*, thank them for their support, and give them a hard look if you're in the market for firearms, class III stuff, suppressors, holsters, accessories, or training!

We still have three other stages available to be sponsored, and several obstacles. There's also some serious talk about a new obstacle that will be the most challenging yet: *

The Siren's song:

2/3 - 3/4 of the way through the course, when everyone is exhausted and really questioning why they do this to themselves (probably near the top of the big hill coming out of the cave), have a group of guys and pretty girls sitting around drinking beer/coffee/hot chocolate - heckling the people running by and trying their best to get them to quit.

"Why are you doing this to yourself? If you'll just stop, you can sit down here, have a beer, and then we'll give you a ride back to the lodge where you can have a nice hot shower and good meal."

Remember: in response to any ugly heckling including the words "fat", "slow", or "old", I've given the shooters permission and encouragement to issue a buttstroke to the offender. The whole point here is to encourage the people to quit, not to make them feel bad about themselves.

What do you think???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had someone not even attending the match send me a couple mag pouches they were no longer using as a donation for the prize table yesterday. Which got me thinking - I have a whole bunch of that kind of stuff I've tried over the years that for whatever reason I'm not using any more and really isn't worth selling, so I'm going to put it on the prize table too. I'd encourage eveyone to dig through their "MOLLE drawer" and bring with them anything they'd like to donate. You can clear out your junk drawer and give newer folks a chance to try perfectly good gear without having to spend a ton.

Please don't bring actual "junk", but Run N Gun related items - mag pouches, holsters, belts, harnesses, chest rigs, etc. We'll do a random draw prize table so the newer competitors will have a good chance to look through gear and get something they can really put to use. And if you have a $3,000 rifle you aren't using that you want to donate, we'll take that too of course! ;-)

Thanks for your consideration!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Man, makes my 2+mile Winter 'primitive' biathlons, on wooden snowshoes and 1750s black powdah flintlock smoothbore musket (no rear sight), run/walked while only 17-degrees out, look almost pretty easy! So kewl! Enjoyed the video!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Man, makes my 2+mile Winter 'primitive' biathlons, on wooden snowshoes and 1750s black powdah flintlock smoothbore musket (no rear sight), run/walked while only 17-degrees out, look almost pretty easy! So kewl! Enjoyed the video!
    There is nothing "easy" about wooden snowshoes and flintlock smoothbores, but glad you enjoyed the video!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am honored to announce a new title sponsor: 3GUN4VETS. This is an amazing company that helps our returning vets learn of a new brotherhood through 3-Gun. You'll be seeing some picture and name changes in the near future as I update various sites with their info, but in the mean time please check out their website and give them your support. Their generous sponsors will also be adding a significant load to our prize table!

http://www.3gun4vets.com/3g4v-run-gu...-by-rockcastle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just FYI, from our title sponsor:

Get yourself a cool shirt at the 3G4V Run N Gun Presented By Rockcastle (5k Biathlon) on March 18th and support our Veterans and your sport at the same time! All inventory of shirts and hats will be on site for purchase. If you wear it during this match and tag us in a post, you will be put in a special drawing during the prize ceremony.

http://www.3gun4vets.com/3g4v-swag-store

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Be warned: *Kentucky has hills! *Here's an elevation map of the course:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There have been lots of questions about the mud pits. The good(?) news is that the pits were completely dry yesterday when I ran the course, so there should be no worries about unsafe conditions or bore obstructions. We'll be knocking down some of the cockleburrs and briars before match day, and adding a rope to assist in the all-but-impossible climb up the inside of a smooth slippery tube set at a 30° upward angle. Guys with large packs may have some more trouble than those travelling light, for a few different reasons. And NO - you cannot climb over the top of the tubes - I tried that too and it was much too easy. :-)

No promises yet about the barbed wire. Here's a video to give you a better idea - excuse the water drops on the lens, as it was raining (of course!).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast