Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Expance CE2000 -- Something I've never seen before... (picture added)

Feedback Score

Colt Expance CE2000 -- Something I've never seen before... (picture added)

One of my LGS just got in 3 Colt Expanses, model number CE2000. That's right, with the factory installed dust cover and forward assist. I examined one and noted 2 things: (1) the hardest-to-close dust cover I've ever experienced and (2) black paint on both sides of the lower "ears" where the trigger guard roll pin goes. On the latter, I'm not talking about a dab; I'm talking about a small brush stroke's worth. And on both sides. I remember reading on this or another forum (or maybe it was the comments to a Youtube video) about a guy who installed a Magpul trigger guard and as a "finishing touch" he put a dab of black paint on the end of the roll pin. In the replies/comments he was razzed mercilessly. Well the gen2 Expanse I was looking at has a swath of black paint on both sides of the roll pin. Since neither I nor the guy behind the counter had ever seen this, he pulled the other two gen2 Expanses in stock. Same thing on both. I've just never seen that on a factory new production gun ever. And incidentally, both of the other 2 also had very difficult to close dust covers. All three had the M4/LE serial number lowers. But I'm thinking fail.
    p.s. 2 of the 3 uppers had the BAFE square forge mark and one had a crab-looking forge mark I've never seen before. Haven't been able to identify it yet. All of the gen1 Expanses I've seen had the circle forge mark (Performance Forge?).
    Last edited by olivehead; 07-30-16 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    I've seen broken "ears" that were a result of ham fisted trigger guard installs...black paint used in an attempt to cover up the damage after the ears were glued on.

Feedback Score
    I installed a trigger guard roll pin for the first time a few weeks ago, by using a small modified C-clamp and it was easy peasy. The guys breaking off frame ears are simply setting the frame on the ground or bench without any support for the ears, taking a hammer and drift punch and going at it like a gorilla. I used a regular blued roll pin found at the local hardware store and it didn't even need any touching up afterwards, so I don't know why Colt would need to use black paint on the frame afterwards especially when they're using specific tools designed for the purpose of installing the pin. Perhaps... and this is just a wild-arsed theory of mine... they might be setting aside blemished frames specifically to use in their Expanse line?

Feedback Score
    Was there ever any validity to the notion that the Expanse line was being sub-contracted out to another manufacturer/assembler (cough) anderson (cough)?
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    It's really tough to figure. Why dab paint on BOTH ears when the roll pin goes in from one? And to see this in 3 of 3 examples. Something is seriously wrong here. Again, this was on3 CE2000s. Haven't seen I the 4 or 5 CE1000s I've seen.
    BTW I went to the gun show this afternoon and one of the dealers had a CE2000. Same thing with the paint on the roll pin/ears.
    Colt Expanse CE2000.jpg
    Last edited by olivehead; 07-30-16 at 19:11. Reason: Picture added

Feedback Score
    Saw an Expanse at the LGS where the dealer had installed a dust cover and FA to help sell it. The dust cover was very hard to close and wouldn't close all the way, there was a gap. When cycling the bolt by hand it would only open partially. Maybe the lowers are out of spec? IMO the rifle looked and felt like junk.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As some have noticed, Colt is definitely not for the fit and finish crowd.
    Last edited by Alnamvet68; 07-30-16 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by July4th View Post
    Saw an Expanse at the LGS where the dealer had installed a dust cover and FA to help sell it. The dust cover was very hard to close and wouldn't close all the way, there was a gap. When cycling the bolt by hand it would only open partially. Maybe the lowers are out of spec?
    I assume you meant to say "upper", but yeah that's what I'm beginning to wonder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alnamvet68 View Post
    As some have noticed, Colt is definitely not for the fit and finish crowd.
    We get that. The question is, what the hell are they doing with those triggerguard ears and why? And why would the dust covers be a terrible fit on upper receivers that should be the exact same specs as all those millions of other Colts out there without s**tty-fitty dust covers? I doubt it's a recent QC lapse at Colt, because I just bought a brand-new 6920-OEM1 and the dust cover fits perfectly fine.
    Last edited by dsk; 07-30-16 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don't get Colt and the expanse. Why not just pump out more 6920s instead? So dumb..

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you use a roll pin pusher like the one from Little Crow gun works, it can slightly scuff or mark that area if it moves slightly as you are turning the knob if you don't put blue painters tape (etc) over that area.
    I'm guessing that's what it might be from...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast