Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated w/ Pix: AK47 advice for AK noobster

Feedback Score

Updated w/ Pix: AK47 advice for AK noobster

I have a serious case of BRD but have an oppurtunity to snag an AK47 for my B-day. My girlfriend works with a gun enthusiast that said he would sell her a romanian AK47 for around 300-400. I'm not going to have a chance to see it before I give her the go ahead so I want to see if I can pick up enough info here to help me decide. I have searched the net for info on the AK and it's rather confusing. Concerning the SAR, the romak, the this the thats.

What AK47 should I avoid? What should I look out for in a Romanian? Any Info helps, thanks!

Here is a link as referrance
    Link: http://www.ak-47.us/Romanian.php

Feedback Score
    If I were going to buy a WASR right now, I'd get one of these...

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/pro...4&productId=78

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In my opinion, the SAR-1 is the best value for the price AK clone available. If it is a SAR-1 then snap it up. Plenty of AKs have no or none functional muzzle devices so don't let that sway you. I'm not a fan of the WASR but that is a personal preference.

M_P

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Exercise caution. A Romanian AK could mean A LOT of things...e.g. I built this Romanian AK in my garage out of flats that I welded the rails to and then completed a home brew button head screw build.

Don't get me wrong on home builds, I've built 2 AKs (with the help of a friend who's practically a machinist....we used rivets, not screws) and my Romanian has been extremely reliable, but I wouldn't expect anyone here to be interested in buying it from me, none the less to mention sight unseen.

Just food for thought.

Given your budget, I'd far sooner buy one of the AKs from Henderson Defense as suggested by b_saan way before buying something sight unseen.

Feedback Score
    I came home yesterday afterwork to an early B-day present. So what do I have here exactly?

What is this thing here on the side?

Aftermarket trigger?

Feedback Score
    questions:

Can you tell if this has a stamped reciever or not?

Does that flash hider unscrew and allow for other FH to be installed easily like an AR15?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You got a WASR-10 that has been modified to accept standard military magazines.

These are the basic AK's that are available now, and are built in Romania as import ban compliant rifles and then imported here, where Century opens up the magazine well to accept standard AK magazines.

The muzzle nut that's on there might be tack welded, it might not be. It should be a 1/14mm left hand pitch, which means righty-loosey, lefty-tighty. You need to depress the pin on top, in the front sight block, to rotate the muzzle nut.

The piece there on the left side of the receiver is a scope rail for Warsaw Pact style optics.

The receiver on Romanian rifles is stamped.

Looks pretty decent, and you got a keeper of a girlfriend!

This thread is 2 years old, so some of the pricing info is pretty dated, but the core information is still viable.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=934
    Last edited by TOrrock; 09-04-08 at 10:02.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You got a WASR-10 that has been modified to accept standard military magazines.

These are the basic AK's that are available now, and are built in Romania as import ban compliant rifles and then imported here, where Century opens up the magazine well to accept standard AK magazines.

The muzzle nut that's on there might be tack welded, it might not be. It should be a 1/14mm left hand pitch, which means righty-loosey, lefty-tighty. You need to depress the pin on top, in the front sight block, to rotate the muzzle nut.

The piece there on the left side of the receiver is a scope rail for Warsaw Pact style optics.

The receiver on Romanian rifles is stamped.

Looks pretty decent, and you got a keeper of a girlfriend!

This thread is 2 years old, so some of the pricing info is pretty dated, but the core information is still viable.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=934
    Thanks Templar,

I ordered some parts; black CCA Polymer Grip, black UTG Picatinny Quadrail Front end, black polymer 5rnd mag for hunting, 3rd gen optic side mount, and a fixed stock in black. Next on the list is the Vortex FH, and the replacement F&R iron sights. Txs again for the info...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
    Thanks Templar,

I ordered some parts; black CCA Polymer Grip, black UTG Picatinny Quadrail Front end, black polymer 5rnd mag for hunting, 3rd gen optic side mount, and a fixed stock in black. Next on the list is the Vortex FH, and the replacement F&R iron sights. Txs again for the info...
    OMG NO! Why oh why would you tacticrap up your new ak? Just shoot it.

Btw, looks very nice as it is, did you shoot it yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    OMG NO! Why oh why would you tacticrap up your new ak? Just shoot it.

Btw, looks very nice as it is, did you shoot it yet?
    lol, tacticrap... I like that. I tend to 'TaciKool' too much

I don't like the look of wood. I have seen some pretty nice Polymer AK's in the past. To each his own I guess, wood's not for me...

I even painted my ole .410 woody Coyote Tan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast