Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass for 308 Scout Rifle ?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Glass for 308 Scout Rifle ?

I have been seriously considering a Ruger Scout rifle as a good all purpose bolt gun in .308 for my uses that's not a scary black rifle. I'm looking for an optic that allows a fast site picture/FOV , both eyes open shooting vs say precision shooting at long distances, positioned in the typical scout position forward on the rail. I'm thinking a 1-4 makes sense. Quality optics always important, but don't want to spend more than the gun itself on the glass. Value for quality 1-4.

What would you all recommend? Does a 1-4 make sense for short to medium distance shots allowing a quick site picture?
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-03-16 at 12:53.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are only so many options in long eye relief glass. I went with a Leupold 1.5-4 on mine and really like it. They also make a 1.5-5 illuminated scout scope.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    There are only so many options in long eye relief glass. I went with a Leupold 1.5-4 on mine and really like it. They also make a 1.5-5 illuminated scout scope.
    Seems a bit large, but that seems to be the optic that pops up and well priced too. Thanx.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-03-16 at 12:52.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, its almost worth looking at handgun scopes because of how few long eye relief variables are out there.

I'm pretty used to red dots, was issued my first M68 over 14 years ago. I would probably just go with that. I feel comfortable with a 2moa dot out to 300m.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This was my choice also.
    Good Deal.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    This was my choice also.
    Good Deal.
    Ordered that combo today. Should make an excellent overlap to an AR in 5.56 with red dot I figure. Good camp, hunt, all purpose bolt gun.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the Leupold 1.5-5X33 on my Ruger Gunsite Scout. In a set of Leupold QRW low rings, it sits about as low over the rail as I know how to make it fit.

Pros:
    Bigger and brighter than any other scout scope I have tried.
    Excellent illuminated reticle (rare in scout scopes). This is a game-changer for me as I hunt feral hogs at night.
    Very durable, and good build quality
    Relatively good value for the money.
    5 power makes it easy to get hits out to 400 yards

Cons:
    Big, long, heavy when compared to other scout scopes
    Eye relief is not long enough to get the tube completely forward of the action
    Large ocular lens size means that you can't get it as low over the bore as some other offerings.

If you want a pure scout scope, this is a bit heavy, clunky, and high magnification. If you want a scope that adds to the traditional level of scout functionality and you're willing to put up with the extra weight and size, it's a good choice.

When I eventually get around to buying a Steyr Scout rifle, I'll put a Leupold 2.5X28 on it, because the rifle was intended from to wear that particular scope in those particular rings from Day 1. Even though it's a bit limited optically, the relative positions of the comb of the stock, the bore, and the scope are simply ergonomically perfect.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w squared View Post
    I have the Leupold 1.5-5X33 on my Ruger Gunsite Scout. In a set of Leupold QRW low rings, it sits about as low over the rail as I know how to make it fit.

Pros:
    Bigger and brighter than any other scout scope I have tried.
    Excellent illuminated reticle (rare in scout scopes). This is a game-changer for me as I hunt feral hogs at night.
    Very durable, and good build quality
    Relatively good value for the money.
    5 power makes it easy to get hits out to 400 yards

Cons:
    Big, long, heavy when compared to other scout scopes
    Eye relief is not long enough to get the tube completely forward of the action
    Large ocular lens size means that you can't get it as low over the bore as some other offerings.

If you want a pure scout scope, this is a bit heavy, clunky, and high magnification. If you want a scope that adds to the traditional level of scout functionality and you're willing to put up with the extra weight and size, it's a good choice.

When I eventually get around to buying a Steyr Scout rifle, I'll put a Leupold 2.5X28 on it, because the rifle was intended from to wear that particular scope in those particular rings from Day 1. Even though it's a bit limited optically, the relative positions of the comb of the stock, the bore, and the scope are simply ergonomically perfect.
    Thanx for the feedback. Size and weight does seem over what it should be for a scout scope, but I didn't find what appeared good alternatives. Considered just putting a Patrol red dot on it and being done. Having some magnification seems worth having as overlap to an AR with red dot.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Agreed...especially with the eyebox having the limitations that it does. I will mention two things though. First is that putting a conventional scope on a ruger scout means that you have to remove the rear peep sight for the ruger rings. Second is that with the (available) short LOP on the scout, that forward scope location makes a shockingly large difference in how quickly you can snap the rifle up and get a very good hit on a 25 or 50 yard target with both eyes open.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtconnelly View Post
    Agreed...especially with the eyebox having the limitations that it does. I will mention two things though. First is that putting a conventional scope on a ruger scout means that you have to remove the rear peep sight for the ruger rings. Second is that with the (available) short LOP on the scout, that forward scope location makes a shockingly large difference in how quickly you can snap the rifle up and get a very good hit on a 25 or 50 yard target with both eyes open.
    I assume that's partially the idea and benefit for it's location. The Col. knew a thing or two about shootin' stuff
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast