Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass for 308 Scout Rifle ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The non-illuminated 1.5-4 Leupold scout scope weighs less (about 5 ounces) and has a more consistent eye relief, fwiw.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I apologize, I was wrong about that scope and it bugged me.
    I ended up getting the Burris 2-7 Scout Scope. At the time I believe it was the only variable Scout Scope available.
    It's riding on a "Tanker" Garand that I had made for me. Thinking about it made me go take a look as it's a seldom used gun I own. Looks like it's time for an upgrade in my Glass.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    I put a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8X28 EER, on my Ruger Gunsite Scout. Mounted with the GG&G Accucam QD mount.
    I am VERY pleased with this. This Far.
    I'm under 2MOA at 100yds all day long. I can do better and have when supported (bipod) but that's pretty much my all the time, standard.

20160916_100341.jpg
    20160919_112550.jpg

Edit- sorry for the sideways view. I'm better behind the trigger than the key board. Also the Accucam QD mount was not on the rifle when I took these.
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 09-24-16 at 16:11.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And I put a Aimpoint 9000 in Larue Q.D rings on mine, can swap them out for the Burris most quick.

Feedback Score
    I went with the Burris 2-7X on my Scout, very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w squared View Post
    When I eventually get around to buying a Steyr Scout rifle, I'll put a Leupold 2.5X28 on it, because the rifle was intended from to wear that particular scope in those particular rings from Day 1. Even though it's a bit limited optically, the relative positions of the comb of the stock, the bore, and the scope are simply ergonomically perfect.
    Technically scouts are not defined by the type of sights. you can put on a traditional scope, just go with irons, use a red dot etc. However to be a "scout sight", it should fit as close to what Cooper was going for as possible. easy to use, low magnification so you can find your target quickly etc.

At the time Cooper was alive he did seem to favour Leupold 2.5 x 28 scout scope. He reasons are easily googled, but a red dot would fit his reasoning too.

when reading his writings on scout rifles, I think it is pretty clear that when it comes to sights (other than good ghost ring sights) he was never happy with the available scope options available up to the time of his death. lots of room to improve here.

I have the Leupold 2.5 x 28 on my steyr, but it has no focus option and the direction my eyes are going that is a problem. So I am giving thought to other options offered by Leupold or maybe a red dot.

Feedback Score
    I have 4 Leupold 2.5 x 28 scout scopes. One on Savage Scout. One on Ruger GSR. Two on Marlin 1894 LeverScouts. I also have two other Leupold low power variable scopes on M4 clones. A Mark AR Mod 1 1.5 x 4 and a VX-R Patrol 1.25 x 4. Both have SPR or is it SPC illuminated reticles. When the magnification is turned all the way down, I can sight as fast with them as I can with the scout scopes. Also the firedot is a wonderful thing. Almost as fast as a pure RDS for me at least. The 4X upper end is also handy. I am 65 and my eyesight is a real challenge. I have a 2x Leupold pistol scope that I am thinking of mounting on the rail of a 300 AAC Blackout M4 style carbine to see how that combo works. My RDS get real fuzzy at dusk.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    New Thread that goes OT from this ==> Here
    Last edited by WillBrink; 01-12-17 at 13:51.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12