Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aiming with left eyes ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cop View Post
    how long did it take you to adjust?
    Still shoot handgun with cross eye (left). Stayed righty with rifle and bow and honestly still catch myself trying to use my left eye at times, with irons.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    FYI Jeff Cooper was cross eye dominant - he shot handgun righty, but used left eye.

Kind of worked well for him I'd say.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper1969 View Post
    If that's what he wants to do. My father in law is cross dominant as well. He chose to shoot hand guns right handed and shotguns/rifles left handed. If I'm using my right hand I use my right eye and left hand, left eye etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well i don't think that's something i can teach him. I'll have to looks for some who can

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    FYI Jeff Cooper was cross eye dominant - he shot handgun righty, but used left eye.

Kind of worked well for him I'd say.

i honestly didn't know that much about him, thanks for the info and for the pics.

Feedback Score
    I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and have always shot right handed using my left eye for pistol, and use my right eye for rifles with optics. It has never slowed me down or affected my accuracy any.

I started shooting long before I had ever heard of eye dominance. I just did what came naturally to me.
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 08-06-16 at 17:48. Reason: splint on finger is causing lots of typos.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm left handed, right eye dominant. Shoot rifle lefty using left eye, pistol using left hand and right eye. Doesn't make any difference when using a pistol since it's held out at arm's length, but I think it's important to be able to use both eyes with a rifle, since i do practice shooting from both shoulders.
    I noticed my son, who's also left-handed, is cross eye dominant like me when he was shouldering his nerf gun, so i'm teaching him to use his left eye for sighting.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Serious question...if you're closing one eye, what difference does it make?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Serious question...if you're closing one eye, what difference does it make?
    It doesn't matter if you close one eye, but ideally you aren't closing the non-aiming eye, because you lose a lot of vision on the side with the eye closed and the attendant situational awareness. It is much better to have both eyes open.

Feedback Score
    basically i think your son might some kind of advantage here. lets say you shoot with you right hand and eye but then have an injury on you arm and cant use it to shoot for a certain period of time. a person like you kid can easily switch to his left arm. so i think you should let him use what comes to him.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I have found that shooting with both eyes open helps as do red dots. I run an RMR on my pistols and either an aimpoint or ACOG on my AR. It's gotten to the point where I don't even realize it anymore and honestly I think the magnification on the ACOG makes my right eye become dominant when using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast