Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aiming with left eyes ?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cop View Post
    for both pistols and handguns
    On the handgun if he's going to shot opposite eye. Tell him to stand like that picture of Jeff Cooper. Not perfectly square. AND to lift the gun so it's actually aligned with his left eye.

IOW, most people standing square, if you lift your right arm the sights will be in front of your right eye. Great if you use your right eye. Not so great for left eye shooters. What will happen is, he will lift the gun maybe centered if using two hands but that's still not far enough over to the left and you will have a tendency to tilt your head until the eye aligns with the sight. But again notice that photo and his head is straight up.

So that little bit of angled stance and training yourself to lift the gun sights in front of the dominant eye will get everything on target much faster. You can raise gun up with eyes closed then open and hopefully the sights will be aligned on target with the dominant eye and no arm, head, body adjustments needed.

I'm very much opposite eye dominant to the point I can't read what I'm typing now with just my right eye.

ETA: on the tape deal. I can't recall the science behind this but I seem to recall people would use frosted tape that lets light through as opposed to a blackout. I can not recall why. I think it had something to do with allowing light in causing less fatigue. Maybe someone here knows. It think I got that from Bullseye shooters years back. Like the frosted scotch tape as opposed to the transparent type.
    Last edited by tb-av; 08-20-16 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    If he shoots well and it sounds like he does I wouldn't sweat it. I too am cross eye dominant and use my left eye for sight alignment but leave both eyes open when shooting.

Feedback Score
    yes body posture matters too

Feedback Score
    im cross eye dominant as well.

i just turn my head a bit to the right, squint my right eye a bit and focus with my left. shoots fine.

just takes practice.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    FYI Jeff Cooper was cross eye dominant - he shot handgun righty, but used left eye.

Kind of worked well for him I'd say.

LAV is too. He shoots a pistol right handed and a rifle left handed both using his left eye, he states so in this video:

Last edited by titsonritz; 10-18-16 at 18:57.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've been shooting all my life, I'm 67 now. It's not a big deal for me.
    I've read that Hickok45 is also left eye dominant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Older threads by a banned thief don't really need a comment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123