Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on Walther CCP vs PPS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never owned a CCP, but have a PPS "Classic". I give it 4 Fs: Flat, Featherweight, Flawless, Fightstopper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyviking View Post
    Never owned a CCP, but have a PPS "Classic". I give it 4 Fs: Flat, Featherweight, Flawless, Fightstopper.
    I have both the PPS Classic and the PPS M2. My wife has had her PPS for 4 years. IMHO, that's a fantastic concealed carry handgun. It's been utterly reliable and feeds any ammo I've ever tried to shoot with it. No fininckyness there.

Feedback Score
    Shot one of each at the same session. I'd go PPS. I have a paddle PPQ and I like the paddles. The CCP has the nice ergos like the PPQ, but that's about the only thing it's got going for it. The other differences between the two, for my hands at least, were negligible.

Really shoddy track record and picky on ammo? Those two alone absolutely disqualify it as a carry piece in my book.

Feedback Score
    The CCP......Here's been my experience with it over the past few months...

Initially, I wasn't very impressed upon the CCP's release, so as usual, I decided to wait a couple of years to monitor for the teething problems that will invariably accompany all new designs ( just look at the SIG 320 problems some LEAs are having, I'm certain that these too will be sorted out soon)

Near perfect ergos, excellent accuracy (this little pistol shoots rings around my issue S&W MP40) and zero malfunctions. This pistol has thus far, more than lived up to the Walther banner. I've had absolutely no buyers remorse what so ever.

The pistol has been 100% reliable with the following: S&B's ball and JHP. Federal's 124gr American Eagle ball, 115 BP jhp, xm9001 115 jhp, 9MS 147 jhp, Win. 147gr jhp, Aguila 115 & 124 ball, Fioochi 115 ball and 115 jhp and Black Hills 115 EXP jhp (my SD load for this pistol).

The barrel and piston housing are made of stainless steel. The barrel has polygonal rifling. This assembly is very stout and well engineered for long life and durability. The trigger assembly and it's relation with the sear assembly group is cave man simple and very durable. The polymer frame is extremely rigid and of the same high quality as the PPQ series. This pistol is deceptively heavier than one would think just by looking at it without picking it up. Once it's in the hand, one can take note of the heft and stout construction with a considerable top heaviness. When a fully loaded magazine is in place the pistol has a solidity to it that I find comforting.
    The trigger is a long but smooth DAO type set-up, with a reset like a DA revolver. Pull weight one this example is approx. 5.75 lbs. I find it interesting that when dry firing it, one can take note of every imperfection in it's travel, however, it has a perfectly crisp break. When actually firing it, the trigger's long travel and reset goes unnoticed and fast, accurate hammered pairs and 3-5 shot strings at 3,5 and 7m are effortlessly accomplished, accurate controlled pairs from 7m out to 25m are just as easily performed.

The magazines are of stainless steel with a highly polished stainless steel follower. The magazine is an unusual unit as it is not welded together. The magazine "tube" comprises three side of the magazine body, while the magazine spine is a separate piece. The "tube" has 24 rectangular holes (12 on each side) on the rear corners. The spine has corresponding tabs that lock the restb of the magazine into place....very odd and unconventional, but very strong....no problems with the set-up thus far....

The disassembly process......Much over-blown, by clowns on the internet. It's not at all very difficult. The CCP can be disassembled in under 30 seconds with the supplied tool, or in my experience a roll pin punch, car/house key or even a ball-point pen and reassembled w/o any tools, just a ring finger in approx: 15 seconds....If you can not easily accomplish the CCP's take-down then you're the problem, not the CCP and you probably have no business handling any firearm if you're that spastic.

Now for the full view.....Is the pistol perfect? Hell no, of course not. I've not found the perfect pistol yet...What do I not like about it?

The plastic sights.....While the sight picture is excellent with a very wide rear sight notch that allows a lot off light to surround the front sight, I'm old enough to be set in my belief that iron sights should be iron. Plastic sights just gripe my ass. It's like having vinyl seats in a Range Rover.

The manual thumb safety...While I like the location of it, I think there should be a textured surface to it and a more positive tactile click to it when sweeping it off or on....It's kind of the same mush as a Mk.3 BHP.

The slide stop/release...It is in just the right place to be annoying and protrudes just enough to be inadvertently pressed down while shooting in a two hand hold that the slide sometimes goes forward on an empty magazine. However to be fair, this is more of a training consideration to overcome than anything else and is quickly overcome in the first couple of range sessions.

In closing, I think this pistol has often been given a raw deal by those who, rather than spend time with it and perform their due diligence in regards to exploring this pistol, instead take the lazy way out and just parrot others who most likely haven't had any direct experience with it either.....

I'm old enough to remember the very same happening way back with both the M9 and "them there plastic thangs" made in Austria. (As the Glocks were first referred to back in the '80's). It wasn't until the various celebrity gun scribes and celebrity trainers du jour gave the Glocks and M9 their exalted stamps of approval that all the gun lemmings flocked towards them and began to flap about in fawning approval.

If one is in the market for a single stack 9mm compact EDC pistol, take as close a look at the CCP, as you would the other excellent options out there, you might just find yourself being pleasantly surprised, by what you end up with. I was.
    Last edited by SLM; 06-23-17 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    Some additional thoughts concerning the CCP.

The so-called soft coil "less felt recoil"...Nope, not at all. The recoil on this reminds me of the snappy, fixed barrel blowback recoil of the PM Makarov & the CZ-82. Yet while snappy, it is very smooth in cycling. Of the pistols in the CCP category, I believe the M&P shield is the softest recoiling, while the CCP and the PPS Classic are perhaps the most accurate in the category.

Is it easier to rack? Yes, but this was never a consideration for me when purchasing the CCP, though I found that it makes for very positive one-handed slide manipulation.

One very odd feature of the CCP is that it has no slide rails, nor frame rails upon which the slide reciprocates, none whatsoever....Instead the slide moves along the barrel and the rear takedown/ striker plate assembly....Odd, very Odd, but it works very well, very smooth. This pistol has no reason to be as stunningly accurate as it is...Most peculiar.

Two final features I couldn't care less for is the silly accessory rail on the dust cover and the squared-off/recurved front of the trigger guard...I really wish the gun industry would stop placing rails on compact EDC pistols This is where S&W, Glock and Walther got it right on the Shield, the G43 and on the PPS M2, All other manufacturers should follow suit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123