Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ASR blast shield

Feedback Score

ASR blast shield

Anybody here have any interest in a fairly inexpensive (especially compared to the current offerings) blast shield that fits directly into an ASR muzzle device?

The machinist I use for stuff is getting ready to start working on one I wanted to see if there may be any takers.

Feedback Score
    I might be interested

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Interested. Especially if it doesn't have tines on the end like SiCo's.

Feedback Score
    The idea would be something real basic and functional, like the SSS blast shield for YHM mounts:

We wouldn't worry about a locking mechanism of any kind. Simply use the threads on the muzzle devices and take advantage of the taper to secure it similar to the Griffin design. Definitely planning on stainless steel, and may have them finished black. He pays per batch for that service, so the more pieces the more the cost is spread out.

To give you an idea of the guy's work, he made some Trident fixed adapters for a buddy of mine and a couple others have ordered them:

He's also wrapping up a batch of Ti direct thread adapters for an Omega:

As well as Ti end caps he's been making for a little while:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've ordered one of the ASR blast shields from him. Looking forward to it, his work looks great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I've ordered one of the ASR blast shields from him. Looking forward to it, his work looks great.
    You must be one of the 5 orders he said he has. I think a lot of people are keeping and eye out and plan on buying one...but just haven't contacted him.

That's the scary part for him, whether to make a dozen or a hundred or more.

Feedback Score
    What else does he make?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    What else does he make?
    He runs the machine shop at a major NASCAR operation. He just does some of this stuff on the side. If it's a big enough deal, he'd probably just run it through the company so he could do it during the week instead of nights & weekends.

He's made a variety of one-off stuff for some guys, but doesn't really offer a wide selection of anything. He has access to all the equipment you could ever need, so it's just a matter of finding the time.

He did make a pair of 3-lug wrenches for a guy, with the ends being slightly different to fit two different mounts the guy had. I'd think they'd be a big seller through the proper channel.

He made me a couple stainless steel wrenches for my F1 cans. It was the first thing he really made for me, other than cutting some spacer tube and other basic items. I simply asked for a "bottle opener" style wrench, but the two ends needed to be slightly different diameters. I was blown away when I saw them:

The first thing he really made a batch of was a Ti Omega/MAAD adapter, which let you use any of the MAAD mounts with an Omega:

And last time I was up there he was working on a decent batch of oversized bolt handles that a local company sells. They'd just gotten some of them back from the finisher that were now black, but all I got was a couple pics of a raw batch:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    You must be one of the 5 orders he said he has. I think a lot of people are keeping and eye out and plan on buying one...but just haven't contacted him.

That's the scary part for him, whether to make a dozen or a hundred or more.
    Yeah, I emailed him right after getting his contact info from you. He emailed me back once he got back from his trip. I'd be nervous about overproducing too if I were him. A lot of people say they're interested, but if they're not emailing him and getting on the list, they may not be reliable to actually pay when the parts are finished. Might end up being better for him to set up the system for people who are ordering to pre-pay just prior to him doing the run.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    BigWaylon, do you think threads + bearing surface is enough to keep the shield on? Granted there's no forward force from gas hitting baffles, but I am still curious if it will stay tight. I have shot my Saker 762 w/ASR and Specwar K without engaging the locking ring on the mount, but only get 2 shots at most before it's loose (did it just to see).

Other mounts that rely only on threads/bearing surfaces tend to have much finer pitch threads.

Edit: Also, if there's any way the shield can look like a tiny Specwar or Saker, that would be pretty cool. Surefire's Warden mimics the lines of the RC and RC2, which is probably why they sell so many of them.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast