Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ASR blast shield

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    BigWaylon, do you think threads + bearing surface is enough to keep the shield on? Granted there's no forward force from gas hitting baffles, but I am still curious if it will stay tight. I have shot my Saker 762 w/ASR and Specwar K without engaging the locking ring on the mount, but only get 2 shots at most before it's loose (did it just to see).

Other mounts that rely only on threads/bearing surfaces tend to have much finer pitch threads.

Edit: Also, if there's any way the shield can look like a tiny Specwar or Saker, that would be pretty cool. Surefire's Warden mimics the lines of the RC and RC2, which is probably why they sell so many of them.
    There are several designs on the market that just use a taper, like the Griffin. With it basically being an open tube, I think the threads alone would hold it, but the taper will also help.

I don't think there's any need to add unnecessary machining to make it look like anything. The Specwar is basically just a tube anyway. He'll just come up with something to allow it to be removed, whether wrench flats (like the Trident adapter), the finger grooves (like the SSS YHM), or who knows.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    There are several designs on the market that just use a taper, like the Griffin. With it basically being an open tube, I think the threads alone would hold it, but the taper will also help.

I don't think there's any need to add unnecessary machining to make it look like anything. The Specwar is basically just a tube anyway. He'll just come up with something to allow it to be removed, whether wrench flats (like the Trident adapter), the finger grooves (like the SSS YHM), or who knows.
    I'm aware of others, like the thunderbeast and Griffin, but they have much finer pitch and what looks like more engagement surface.

Regarding looks: just a suggestion if you want to make it appeal to more people. An extra tool change or slight profile change while on the lathe will be insignificant in terms of machine time.

Off topic, but an adapter for the Omega to work on thunderbeast compact taper mounts would be really nice, too.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score

Off topic, but an adapter for the Omega to work on thunderbeast compact taper mounts would be really nice, too.
    Or Omega to fit a Griffin taper

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Or Omega to fit a Griffin taper
    Just send him an email. He has the Omega part of the design done...you'll just need to work with him on the other part.

Feedback Score
    Regarding looks: just a suggestion if you want to make it appeal to more people. An extra tool change or slight profile change while on the lathe will be insignificant in terms of machine time.
    Ok, so you mentioned Specwar. What exactly would you do to make it look like them? It won't have the ASR latching function, so it's just a smooth tube. Is there something specific about the YHM version I posted earlier that you don't like?

What I don't want to do is duplicate this ugly design that YHM now makes:

Feedback Score
    Have to agree with the ugliness of that,
    Just some horizontally fluting proportional to the finished size that would make it more visually appealing and give the user something to grip when twisting on or off

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Yeah, that's not attractive. I'll model something up as soon as I have a little spare time.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's not attractive. I'll model something up as soon as I have a little spare time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Have to agree with the ugliness of that,
    Just some horizontally fluting proportional to the finished size that would make it more visually appealing and give the user something to grip when twisting on or off
    Just to be clear...when I referred to the YHM one I was using as a basic idea, it was the SSS version from the first page...this one from page 1:

The grenade version YHM actually makes is hideous. I did leave my SSS ones at the machinist.

Feedback Score
    I'd probably be interested depending on the final design. I think the silencerco blast shield is a bit ugly

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I buy a few if the price was right....

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast