Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How short of a barrel is speer gold dot 223 effective?

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Look for andrew to post his gel test vid of the 75grain speer GD

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whilst View Post
    Probably cause it sucks. A big game softpoint bullet is normally required to have 1800 fps left at impact if you want real expansion of the softpoint. A varmint bullet will expand at less velocity but I dont trust its penetration on hogs, dogs, men or deer. I use 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints tried and true and use AA 2520 to start them at 2500 fps from a 10.5" barrel. They'll still expand at 200m. That's all that's required. At longer ranges an instant stop is not needed, unless you plan to ride a motorcycle out to the "hittee" at top speed and scalp him, or something like that. He'll not be able to hit you from that range and he'll bleed out long before he can get close enough to be a concern.
    AtK made the data public, and Andrew finally posted the video of the gold dot I sent him. Both show exceptional performance.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Not to venture too far off topic, but I chrono'd some 62 gr. GD LE issued ammo the other day and got an average muzzle velocity of ~2500 fps. 14.5" Colt M4, btw. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345