Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How short of a barrel is speer gold dot 223 effective?

Feedback Score

How short of a barrel is speer gold dot 223 effective?

Ammo itself, not rifle reliablity issues. Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Which one? The 64gr or the 75gr?

If the 64gr, then this should help get you there:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-gr-SPEER-GDSP

Expansion threshold is below 1800fps or roughly 200yd from a ~10.5" barrel.

I do not know for the 75gr at this time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    7.5 or so.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    OP, FWIW, WS6 is M4C's 64gr Gold Dot Expert.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    OP, FWIW, WS6 is M4C's 64gr Gold Dot Expert.
    Does he go by "unobtanium" on some other boards? I came across a pretty solid review and video for the 75gr on survivalistforum and believe it was WS6 under another moniker. If so, I'd say he's an expert on the 75s as well; or better yet, just Gold Dots in general.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Does he go by "unobtanium" on some other boards? I came across a pretty solid review and video for the 75gr on survivalistforum and believe it was WS6 under another moniker. If so, I'd say he's an expert on the 75s as well; or better yet, just Gold Dots in general.
    I'm not an expert, but I do know some people, and I did get some limited data from personal observation as well as ammo I sent to a few others. The 75gr gold dot is pretty impressive, as is the 62 and 64.

As of now, there is no official minimum for 75gr expansion threshold, however, to my eye and observation, it's identical to 62 and 64gr in material and construction except that it has a longer shank below the cannelure. If this is all, then it should expand down to 1600ish. That said, I've seen pictures of 62gr gd taken out of deer that arrived at well over 2k, and barely deformed. Bullets do odd things.
    Last edited by WS6; 09-09-16 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I do know some people, and I did get some limited data from personal observation as well as ammo I sent to a few others. The 75gr gold dot is pretty impressive, as is the 62 and 64.

As of now, there is no official minimum for 75gr expansion threshold, however, to my eye and observation, it's identical to 62 and 64gr in material and construction except that it has a longer shank below the cannelure. If this is all, then it should expand down to 1600ish. That said, I've seen pictures of 62gr gd taken out of deer that arrived at well over 2k, and barely deformed. Bullets do odd things.
    If that is true wouldn't it be best to stick to 64gr for SBRs to keep the velocity up beyond the expansion threshold as long as possible?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    WS6- any info on why Speer stopped making the 5.56 GD load? I heard a rumor as to why, but would like confirmation.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    WS6- any info on why Speer stopped making the 5.56 GD load? I heard a rumor as to why, but would like confirmation.
    The 24455 was discontinued because people were running it in .223 or bad chambers, having problems, and blaming Federal rather than the manufacturers of their good-as guns. Further, any additional gain over the .223 loading (22446) wasn't significant enough to justify two loadings for the same bullet.

It was restricted in part for the same reasons, but remained available to the commercial side while in production.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The 24455 was discontinued because people were running it in .223 or bad chambers, having problems, and blaming Federal rather than the manufacturers of their good-as guns. Further, any additional gain over the .223 loading (22446) wasn't significant enough to justify two loadings for the same bullet.

It was restricted in part for the same reasons, but remained available to the commercial side while in production.
    And that is exactly what I heard, too. Thanks for that confirmation, sir.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast