Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How short of a barrel is speer gold dot 223 effective?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    And that is exactly what I heard, too. Thanks for that confirmation, sir.
    And in case it matters to anyone, that info came straight from ATK.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And yet they then turned around and came out with MSR line of fusion ammo (though it's not the hottest 5.56 ammo known to man).

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    And yet they then turned around and came out with MSR line of fusion ammo (though it's not the hottest 5.56 ammo known to man).
    Fusion MSR is still .223 pressure, not 5.56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Fusion MSR is still .223 pressure, not 5.56.
    I'd like to see the data for this. Being honest, not trying to be combative.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I'd like to see the data for this. Being honest, not trying to be combative.
    Federal 62gr Fusion, #223FS1, 3000fps, 24" test barrel
    Federal 62gr Fusion (MSR), #F223MSR1, 2750fps, 16" test barrel
    Speer 64gr GDSP (LE), #24448, 3000fps, 24" test barrel

Check out these threads, with some comprehensive work by our very own Molon.

Federal fusion/msr?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ral-fusion-msr

Federal Fusion 62gr - 2 Different Loadings?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...erent-Loadings
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Federal 62gr Fusion, #223FS1, 3000fps, 24" test barrel
    Federal 62gr Fusion (MSR), #F223MSR1, 2750fps, 16" test barrel
    Speer 64gr GDSP (LE), #24448, 3000fps, 24" test barrel

Check out these threads, with some comprehensive work by our very own Molon.

Federal fusion/msr?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ral-fusion-msr

Federal Fusion 62gr - 2 Different Loadings?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...erent-Loadings
    We've also had testing done on this forum, by Molon again as well, and other youtube videos and websites that shows that the NON MSR is indeed slower. 50fps slower from a 20" and 70fps from a 14.5" (again, not blistering) in this thread alone:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Grain-Gold-Dot

Ultimately, i don't care if it is'true' 5.56 or not, I just still find it odd that ATK decided to turn around and offer a 'hotter' version of a boned round right after killing another and am happy that we have choices.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The 24455 was discontinued because people were running it in .223 or bad chambers, having problems, and blaming Federal rather than the manufacturers of their good-as guns. Further, any additional gain over the .223 loading (22446) wasn't significant enough to justify two loadings for the same bullet.

It was restricted in part for the same reasons, but remained available to the commercial side while in production.
    That is complete BS. I am not saying that that isn't their CLAIM, but it's bogus. The real reason is that when you push the Gold Dot faster, you end up with worse terminal performance due to increased fragmentation due to the "softer" design of the projectile.

The reason that I assert this claim as bogus is that I can waltz right down to Cabela's in the morning and buy as much American Eagle 5.56 pressure XM193 as I want. There is very little logical basis for the above claim, in light of this.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    That is complete BS. I am not saying that that isn't their CLAIM, but it's bogus. The real reason is that when you push the Gold Dot faster, you end up with worse terminal performance due to increased fragmentation due to the "softer" design of the projectile.

The reason that I assert this claim as bogus is that I can waltz right down to Cabela's in the morning and buy as much American Eagle 5.56 pressure XM193 as I want. There is very little logical basis for the above claim, in light of this.
    I believe the complaints came from LE customers using department guns. With enough complaints comes the threat of returning ammo/cancelling contracts. Speer/Federal testing had already showed that .223 pressure ammo met ballistic requirements for the LE community. Hence, the decision to disco the higher pressure loadings.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    I believe the complaints came from LE customers using department guns. With enough complaints comes the threat of returning ammo/cancelling contracts. Speer/Federal testing had already showed that .223 pressure ammo met ballistic requirements for the LE community. Hence, the decision to disco the higher pressure loadings.
    I presume they also refuse to sell XM193 to departments for training purposes?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I presume they also refuse to sell XM193 to departments for training purposes?
    Technically, they wouldn't refuse to sell anything. I believe I was told that they will typically recommend an American Eagle equivalent load for training if a .223 duty round is sourced.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast